Portable A/C Units: Anyone?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Portable A/C Units: Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Portable A/C Units: Anyone?

So, Mrs JD can't sleep unless the bedroom is the temperature bordering on absolute zero.

A couple of years back, a coworker of hers had a husband who owned and A/C company. They had an old Sanyo portable A/C unit in the garage that was just collecting dust & during an exceptionally hot PNW summer ( if there is such a thing ) she just gifted it to us.

The thing has been great, especially since about 3% of the homes up here actually have central air. This summer we have had some very hot, for us, weather. The A/C is on it's last leg and since it was free, it certainly doesn't owe me anything.

So, I am looking at replacing it and I figure I need about 13,000-14,000 BTU unit for the master bedroom according to all the sizing charts.

I am looking at a Haier, an Edgestar EXTREME and Whynter Eco Friendly model ( tax break in Washington ).

So, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this units, or can recommend a really kick ass portable version ( I simply must have the ability to close and secure the window should we leave for the weekend or something so the permanent window mount is out ) I would love to hear about it.

Ideally I would like a unit that will go down to around 62 or so degrees, as that seems to induce the heaviest slumber in our house.

Thanks in Advance!

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I had a DeLonghi Penguino Portable A/C, it worked well for about 900sqft. It would make it nice and chilly. I believe it was about 11,000BTU. The only problem I had with it was it pulled too much power and would throw the breaker(Old House needed wiring upgrade).

It is now being used by the SIL and her husband in Ga. and it is working very well for them.

The unit I had could also be used as a dehumidifier.

All I got for you.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not with the A/C units, although I bought a near new Haier 5600 BTU window unit at a yard sale a couple weeks ago for $10. Works great, I'm going to use it as a cooling unit for a fermentation closet.

I have three 5 cu. ft. Haier chest freezers. The second one I bought cooled until the T-stat was satisfied then quit. It took a year to get a replacement that was acceptable from Haier, in New Jersey. Their customer support sucks.

I am not familiar with either of the others....Good Luck finding something not MADE IN CHINA!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #4

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Portable Air Conditioner Reviews: Best Portable Air Conditioners

Best i could help. I got a window unit on the 2nd floor, anchored in place and "locked" the window with some angle brackets.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8856 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

14,000 BTU ? For a BEDROOM?

DUDE!

You are either in Death Valley, or have a bedroom the size of a hockey stadium? Daughter has a 2 story, 2 bedroom home (granted, it is well insulated) She has an 11,000 BTU thru-the-wall unit that cools the entire house.

Try this calculator- Air conditioner sizing worksheet

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, that was MUCH different than the charts I have been seeing on various sites.

Thanks C3!

My Master is good size, but not as big as a hockey stadium, and no ice rink floor either.

Well, apparently I can get by with a much smaller unit according to that calculator.

Back to square one....

JD

Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

JD, I will check with my Dad and see which one he has. He likes it pretty well.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2875 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I received several estimates from local contractors when looking for A/C - Heater for my shop. All referenced a specific size.
Now the shop gets cold, but quits dehumidifing when temperature is reached. (A/C unit too big for 10X20 sized shop.)
Result = Mold.
Fix = a $79.00 window unit for A/C from WallyWorld for summer, the purchased "motel" unit for heat in winter.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Instead of portable units, check split type A/C. They require a bit more work but more efficient and you still have your security.

Like these:
Panasonic Consumer Electronics - Split Air Conditioners Learn More
Split Type Air Conditioner-Split Type Air Conditioner Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on alibaba.com
Ductless Mini Split Type Air Conditioners