Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Politics, religion and controversy... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/politics-religion-controversy-55552/)

Rellek2020 01-15-2012 07:04 PM

Politics, religion and controversy...

Am wondering why I cannot open or read any of the treads in the subject mentioned area. There seems to be a lot of threads in the politics section. Bit it keeps telling me I do not have permission.

MrWray 01-15-2012 07:30 PM

Its because you need to become a supporting member or be authorized by the administrator to participate in those forums

Gatoragn 01-15-2012 08:25 PM

I believe there is a minimum number of posts required for non-supporting members to keep the trolls out.

trip286 01-15-2012 09:10 PM

Just dawned on me that I have access to that section and I've actually been posting in it occasionally. I'm gonna have to watch that, I've been intending to avoid it like the plague.

MrWray 01-15-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
Just dawned on me that I have access to that section and I've actually been posting in it occasionally. I'm gonna have to watch that, I've been intending to avoid it like the plague.

I agree, those topics ignite like gunpowder. Ive save the gunpowder for the gun related threads.

Rellek2020 01-16-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286

Trip,
You want to avoid that section? Is it because of the volatile emotional discussion or just not interested? I could see that type of discussion eroding quite fast. But I think some of the discussions would be interesting.

trip286 01-16-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rellek2020 (Post 678941)
Trip,
You want to avoid that section? Is it because of the volatile emotional discussion or just not interested? I could see that type of discussion eroding quite fast. But I think some of the discussions would be interesting.

Some of the discussions are very interesting and amicable, but many of them are very volatile.

Look at it this way, if myself and someone else have a disagreement over Mosins, revolvers, AR's, the best breakfast cereal, we can usually move on and agree to disagree, or come to an agreement based on facts.

Some (way too many, in my opinion), get way too aggressive when it comes to politics and religion. If you disagree with some one on religion, they very often view it as a personal attack against them and it's just too much drama.

I think part of the reason for this is because faith and religion are based on intangibles, things that are felt but not seen or touched. On the same token, politics are all too often based on lies and counter lies. There's no such thing as an honest politician, yet people defend and attack politicians rabidly as if they're actually honest, good, hard working people.

It's easier for me to not get involved. I've been involved, I've had my religion attacked, my political views attacked, and the way I raise my kid questioned. I got pissed too, and after a few arguments, a little name calling, and a few comments I'm not proud of, I decided to just leave it alone.

dog2000tj 01-16-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 679048)
... the best breakfast cereal, ...

That's easy ... Fruity Pebbles! :D And if you don't agree with that, well, then my God is better than your God! :p

MrWray 01-16-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj

That's easy ... Fruity Pebbles! :D And if you don't agree with that, well, then my God is better than your God! :p

Nuh uh...cocoa pebbles is better

trip286 01-16-2012 08:27 PM

Special K redberries!!