Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Political correctness gone mad (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/political-correctness-gone-mad-29234/)

Davyboy 07-11-2010 07:50 PM

Political correctness gone mad

MEMBERS of Scotland Yard’s elite bodyguard unit are being armed with smaller, lighter “baby” guns as part of a drive to attract more female officers.

Supporters deny the Yard is putting political correctness before security. They say the change is part of a legitimate attempt by Metropolitan police bosses better to reflect the community.

Thats really going to improve the chances of stopping a fanatical terrorist from killing our valliant leaders. Serves them bloody right.

falseharmonix 07-11-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davyboy (Post 313620)
MEMBERS of Scotland Yard’s elite bodyguard unit are being armed with smaller, lighter “baby” guns as part of a drive to attract more female officers.

Supporters deny the Yard is putting political correctness before security. They say the change is part of a legitimate attempt by Metropolitan police bosses better to reflect the community.

Thats really going to improve the chances of stopping a fanatical terrorist from killing our valliant leaders. Serves them bloody right.

Do you have a link for your source?

Define 'smaller, lighter "baby" guns'.

canebrake 07-11-2010 09:13 PM

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...orrectness.png

CA357 07-11-2010 09:47 PM

Smaller lighter guns are incredibly effective on teeny tiny terrorists and criminals. Especially if they're miffed :rolleyes:

PC = Pretty Crummy

pandamonium 07-11-2010 10:30 PM

PC= political crackheads.

Franciscomv 07-11-2010 11:47 PM

There was an article on The Times Halt, or the PM’s guard will fire her baby gun - Times Online

Here's the gist of it: ”MEMBERS of Scotland Yard’s elite bodyguard unit are being armed with smaller, lighter ‘baby’ guns as part of a drive to attract more female officers,” timesonline.co.uk reports. “The move is aimed at recruiting bodyguards with smaller hands. However, critics fear that it could hamper close protection officers who guard the Queen, David Cameron and other VIPs if they have to fend off an attack from terrorists or a lone gunman. ‘It’s a disadvantage because the smaller guns have less firepower and are less accurate,’ said a police firearms expert.”

They are moving from Glock 17s to Glock 26s. I can't give an opinion about how good or bad a choice of weapon this is, because I don't know squat about VIP protection. However, if the problem is the grip size (as the senior Yard detective Bunn says in the article), then the G26 is probably going to be a problem as well. Its double stack magazine and grip aren't really narrower than those on a G17.

falseharmonix 07-12-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 313716)
There was an article on The Times Halt, or the PM’s guard will fire her baby gun - Times Online

Here's the gist of it: ”MEMBERS of Scotland Yard’s elite bodyguard unit are being armed with smaller, lighter ‘baby’ guns as part of a drive to attract more female officers,” timesonline.co.uk reports. “The move is aimed at recruiting bodyguards with smaller hands. However, critics fear that it could hamper close protection officers who guard the Queen, David Cameron and other VIPs if they have to fend off an attack from terrorists or a lone gunman. ‘It’s a disadvantage because the smaller guns have less firepower and are less accurate,’ said a police firearms expert.”

They are moving from Glock 17s to Glock 26s. I can't give an opinion about how good or bad a choice of weapon this is, because I don't know squat about VIP protection. However, if the problem is the grip size (as the senior Yard detective Bunn says in the article), then the G26 is probably going to be a problem as well. Its double stack magazine and grip aren't really narrower than those on a G17.

Thanks for the link....much more interesting with facts to back the hype :cool::cool:

spittinfire 07-12-2010 10:50 AM

That has to be one of the dumbest moves EVER!! Not only because the PC surrounding it just screams idiocy but look at the weapons they're using. I could take their G17s and run them thru a bandsaw for the same result their getting with this move.