Police recruit shoots back. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Police recruit shoots back.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hate to see a kid that young die, but he was incredibly stupid and asked for it.

Job well done, recruit!

Thankfully, drug dealers and other criminals are doing a good job these days of killing each other. Nothing like letting them "thin the herd" themselves, without having to put the police in danger.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by photog View Post
But, 1) if everyone in the country had and carried a pistol, and 2) shot and killed the bad guys, 3) just think what a safe place to live this would be!
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

The last thing every rapist should see....
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 AM   #13

^ That is great Pioneer, that is soo true. On a similar note on the way home from town tonight my wife and I were talking about some of the local wally worlds. She said she refuses to go to them at night by herself, commenting on how scary some of the people look. I suggested that she take the CCW class with me in March, and pick up a little .380 or a .25. She said she would think about it. I was surprised, when I frist told her of my intentions of purchasing a gun she was less then thrilled. Now she is at least open to the idea of learning to shoot. After we got home she told me she saw a white van driving up and down our road at night and this concerned her. There have been quite a few break ins around here lately. We live on a private lake in southern Michigan, where most of the houses are summer homes. I think if she learned how to shoot she would feel less afraid to be here by herself and our 9 month when I work thrids sometimes. I might have a chance to get her to like guns yet!

Proud NRA member

Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #14

Likes Given: 2

another gene removed from the gene pool

John W J
Heart in Australia
Body In New Mexico
http://opencarry.com/

Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
I suggested that she take the CCW class with me in March, and pick up a little .380 or a .25.
If you're both going to go to the time and expense of doing that, at least buy her a weapon in a large enough caliber to stop a determined attacker.

The .380 and .25 are virtually worthless for anything besides shooting paper targets, tin cans etc.

The MINIMUM recommended calibers for anybody who is genuinely serious about handgun self-defense, are .38 Special in a revolver, and 9mm in a semi-auto. Even with those two calibers, one should always use jacketed hollow points.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #16

Are there many 9mm that are really small? I picked up a Springfield XD sub-compact and I think that would be too big for my wife to carry. Any pocket size 9mm you would recommend?

Proud NRA member

Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
Are there many 9mm that are really small? I picked up a Springfield XD sub-compact and I think that would be too big for my wife to carry. Any pocket size 9mm you would recommend?
If she's not an experienced shooter, I wouldn't recommend a "really small" 9mm.

The recoil can tend to be downright annoying, even intimidating to inexperienced shooters, when using tiny 9mm "pocket pistols".

I'd recommend something like the Smith & Wesson 3913 Lady Smith, which holds a single stack 8 round magazine, rather than the bulky double stack magazines the XD uses.

Your average woman can get her hand around a single stack pistol a lot easier. Any good quality mid-size single stack should suit most women just fine.

Last edited by Defender; 02-15-2008 at 05:43 AM.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
If you're both going to go to the time and expense of doing that, at least buy her a weapon in a large enough caliber to stop a determined attacker.

The .380 and .25 are virtually worthless for anything besides shooting paper targets, tin cans etc.

The MINIMUM recommended calibers for anybody who is genuinely serious about handgun self-defense, are .38 Special in a revolver, and 9mm in a semi-auto. Even with those two calibers, one should always use jacketed hollow points.
1.) From a ballistics standpoint, a .38 is about the same as a .380.

2.) You should use jacketed hollowpoints in almost everything you carry.

3.) A .25 in the pocket is better than a .45 in the safe...

Old 02-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #19

I'm not sure how reliable this list is, note that 4 of the top 10 most crime ridden cities are in Florida, while Detroit and DC are not even on the list......

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
I'm not sure how reliable this list is, note that 4 of the top 10 most crime ridden cities are in Florida, while Detroit and DC are not even on the list......
I live in Florida, and you couldn't get me to live in any of those 4 locations for love nor money, and to be honest, I'm surprised Jacksonville isn't higher. Don't get me wrong, I love Florida, but we did our research before moving down here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlando/30743-murder-rate-soars-orlando.html