Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Police recruit shoots back. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/police-recruit-shoots-back-3272/)

MarkoPo 02-10-2008 01:26 PM

Police recruit shoots back.

Recruit shoots back.

Is a computer really worth your life?

Police recruit fatally shoots would-be robber, 14

By TIM EBERLY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/09/08

An Atlanta police recruit shot and killed a teen boy who tried to rob him at gunpoint early Saturday, authorities said.

The 14-year-old allegedly had confronted the recruit while he was in his vehicle in the parking lot of the Parkside Crossing apartments, in the 4200 block of Jonesboro Road in Forest Park.

Forest Park police Lt. Amy Wright said the teen suffered more than one gunshot wound and died. She would not reveal the boy’s name, saying she was not sure all his relatives had been notified, but said he lived on Fisher Road in Atlanta.

Wright also did not release the name or age of the police recruit, but she described him as a younger officer who recently got out of the U.S. Marine Corps, is attending Atlanta's police academy and lives at Parkside Crossing.

The shooting occurred at 12:15 a.m. The recruit was sitting in his personal vehicle, logged onto his laptop computer because the apartment complex offers free wireless Internet service, Wright said.

He heard a tap on his driver's side window and looked up to see the boy standing outside his car. The youth allegedly had a shotgun pointed at the recruit's face.

The boy said something the man did not understand, but the recruit believed the teen wanted his laptop, Wright said.

The recruit could not roll down his window because it was broken, so he began opening the door, she said. As he stood up, he grabbed a handgun that he had at his side and used the laptop to hide the weapon.

The recruit then opened fire on the robber, killing him, Wright said. The would-be victim spotted a second male nearby who apparently was a lookout. That individual ran away and was being sought by police Saturday evening.

Forest Park police found a set of keys on the dead boy for a vehicle that was parked outside the gated complex. The car had been stolen from East Point, Wright said.

The shooting appeared to be in self-defense and no charges were pending against the police recruit, Wright said.

Righteous 02-10-2008 02:55 PM

steal young die young...nature thinning out the herd

MarkoPo 02-10-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photog (Post 16031)
I don't think so.

But, 1) if everyone in the country had and carried a pistol, and 2) shot and killed the bad guys, 3) just think what a safe place to live this would be! ;)

I totally agree with you. Like someone said on another forum, someone just added some chlorine to the gene pool. :)

Duck 02-10-2008 04:42 PM

If a person has decided to steal from you, then they have given up their right to live. They have shown that they cannot be trusted in society and they no longer deserve a place in that society. Anyone that has ever had their house/ car broken into should understand what I'm saying.

bkt 02-10-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck (Post 16033)
If a person has decided to steal from you, then they have given up their right to live. They have shown that they cannot be trusted in society and they no longer deserve a place in that society. Anyone that has ever had their house/ car broken into should understand what I'm saying.

+1 Not much to argue with there.

Chuck 02-11-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 16058)
+1 Not much to argue with there.

Agreed. It's Darwinian.

GlenJohnson 02-11-2008 12:21 PM

Here you go gang, places to avoid...
http://encarta.msn.com/media_701500211_761564013_-1_1/Metropolitan_Areas_with_the_Highest_Violent_Crime_ Rates_in_the_United_States.html

:mad:

robocop10mm 02-11-2008 12:58 PM

That which makes us human is our humanity, not our genes. When a genetically human individual displays no humanity, that individual gives up the right to be called human. Contrary to PETA, only humans have human rights. We put down mad dogs. This was a mad dog. A pup? Sure, but still a mad dog.

hillbilly68 02-12-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenJohnson (Post 16102)

Wow, some surprises to me. Stockton CA? Holy s#&!. There isn't anything in Stockton. Not surprised by a lot of the others. Thanks for posting that.

SimonTuffGuy 02-14-2008 12:45 AM

Stolen car? Shotgun? Sounds like enough for me to open fire...