Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Police Harrassment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Police Harrassment

Recently, RCMP Kings Det in Nova Scotia, ran an e-mail forum (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing."

One of the civilian email participants posed the following question,
"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it."

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Cst Sandy Horsnell obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In the Annapolis Valley we average one cop for every 600 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. And at any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents. When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE:
People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbour is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.
Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS:
We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like. Its lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS:
Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

STATUTES:
When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc... They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me."
*It's one of our favorites.*

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice post, goju. Thanks for sharing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like it. Nova Scotia? What are the heck are they doing up there? Are they stealing fish or something?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I like it. Nova Scotia? What are the heck are they doing up there? Are they stealing fish or something?
Molesting Caribou

Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Hey, that is one of the best perks of the job, harassing random citizens, er, law breakers.

The best one is we don't have to get angry at the rude drivers, we get to harass them face to face for 10 minutes or so. As it turns out most of the "rude" driving behavior is covered in that book we get issued called the Transportation Code here in Texas.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Hey, that is one of the best perks of the job, harassing random citizens, er, law breakers.

The best one is we don't have to get angry at the rude drivers, we get to harass them face to face for 10 minutes or so. As it turns out most of the "rude" driving behavior is covered in that book we get issued called the Transportation Code here in Texas.
Amen Robocop. I was directing traffic at an accident on IH-10 today, had all 4 lanes shut down, letting them go one-at a time around a 5-car/2 power poles/1 big a**ed RV wreck. When I saw someone change lanes into the one that was moving at the time, I waited 'til they got up front, stopped that lane and went to the next. What was even better was making the idiots who thought that they could get by on the shoulder wait even longer. It's great having someone say "Thank you" when I give them a ticket.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 01-12-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #7

that was pretty funny.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good post Goju!! Got it in e-mail a while back...still funny!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8641 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

"Why aren't you people out arresting criminals?!?!"
"Well, I was on my way to do that, ma'am, when you forced me to stop and write you a ticket."

"I guess you are just trying to fill your quota."
"No sir- they did away with that. Now they let me write all the tickets I want."

"I guess the police department needs the money."
"Oh- we don't get any of the money. But if you get two more of these, you get a bicycle."

"Why would you think I was not wearing my seat belt?"
"Because at the moment, I am standing on the buckle- it was hanging out of your door."

"You know, your Captain is a friend of mine."
"The Captain? You mean the guy that made me work overtime this week? He's your FRIEND?"

"I thought you guys didn't give pretty women tickets...."
"No ma'am, we don't. Sign here, please."

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Love those!!

Quote:
Relax; the handcuffs are tight because they’re new. They’ll stretch out after you wear them awhile.

Take your hands off the car, and I’ll make your birth certificate a worthless document.

If you run, you’ll only go to jail tired.

Can you run faster than 1,200 feet per second? In case you didn’t know, that is the average speed of a 9 mm bullet fired from my gun.

So you don’t know how fast you were going. I guess that means I can write anything I want on the ticket, huh?

Yes, Sir, you can talk to the shift supervisor, but I don’t think it will help. Oh … did I mention that I am the shift supervisor?

Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I’m warning you not to do that again or I’ll give you another ticket.

The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?

Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where you go to ride on rides, eat cotton candy, and step in monkey poop.

Yeah, we have a quota. Two more tickets and my wife gets a toaster oven.

In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC.

Just how big were those two beers?

No sir we don’t have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas but now we’re allowed to write as many tickets as we want.

I’m glad to hear the Chief of Police is a good personal friend of yours. At least you know someone who can post your bail.

You didn’t think we give pretty women tickets? You’re right, we don’t.