Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Police: Gunman wounds 3 outside California church

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Police: Gunman wounds 3 outside California church

Police: Gunman wounds 3 outside California church
Police: Gunman wounds 3 outside California church

By CHRISTOPHER WEBER, Associated Press Writer 22 minutes ago

A man with a semiautomatic rifle opened fire at a church festival Saturday, wounding his ex-wife and two bystanders before festival-goers grabbed him and held him for police, authorities and a church official said.

Witnesses described a chaotic scene, with people screaming and running for the exit after gunfire rang out on a grassy field where the festival was being set up at the St. John Baptist de la Salle Roman Catholic parish.

"I heard bang, bang, bang, bang. It sounded like balloons popping," said Jeff Sempelsz, a church volunteer who was setting up a booth when the man started shooting. "I didn't know what it was but I could see the rifle in his hand."

Father Robert Milbauer, the parish's pastor, said a woman injured in the attack was the gunman's ex-wife. The two have a child who attends the school and had been mired in an ongoing dispute, Ruiz said.

"We believe this is an isolated incident, a domestic-violence dispute," police Capt. Steven Ruiz said.

The gunman's identity was not immediately released.

He opened fire with a .22-caliber rifle a few minutes before the church's annual weekend festival was to begin. Milbauer said about 50 people, mainly church volunteers and their children, were setting up food and game booths and carnival-style rides when the gunfire erupted.

"I was walking toward the festival area to say an opening prayer and I saw them," Milbauer said of the shooting victims.

The man's 30-year-old ex-wife was hospitalized in stable condition, Ruiz said.

A 45-year-old man was shot in the chest and was in critical condition and another man, 47, was in stable condition with a leg wound, Ruiz said.

Their identities were not immediately released.

The gunman walked away after the shooting but was quickly grabbed by bystanders, one of whom was an off-duty Burbank police officer. Another off-duty officer, from Los Angeles, produced handcuffs and the group held the man until uniformed officers arrived.

William Griffin, a security guard watching the festival entrance, said dozens of people came running toward him.

"I heard someone yell, 'Somebody's shooting. Somebody's shooting.' I turned and saw a man with a long rifle. He was very calm," Griffin said.

The guard said he herded people into the church, then began locking the doors. The man who had been shot in the leg calmly limped in with the others, Griffin said.

The church and school are located in the city's Granada Hills area in the San Fernando Valley, an ordinarily peaceful, multiethnic, middle-class residential neighborhood not far from the historic San Fernando Mission.

The annual festival is held to raise money for the school's building fund.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080518/...RqO28vLN.s0NUE

Did you notice the 22lr ASSAULT RIFLE? THAT IS WHAT THEY WILL SAY TOMORROW.

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

See if CA was a little more CCW friendly, it would have been 'spat, spat'..."hey, somebody is shoo..." BANG BANG

Old 05-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Two off duty cops and neither of them were armed? Heard of "Carry a badge? Carry a gun!" Doesn't sound like the security guard was armed either - lot of good that will do. "Stop. Or I'll tell you to stop again"

Another unfortunate event resulting in the mass media to blame the access to firearms instead of the person in question I am sure.

Given that Califronia "justice" system, I am sure he will serve 8 to 10 months in a minimum security mental institution and be released.

I am with Hillbilly that someone could have saved a lot of time and trouble by just taking care of the situation at the scene.

JD

Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't see assault rifle anywhere.

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #5

What else would you expect in the russian republic of california

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT