Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Police E-mail Warns Of Rise In Crime (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/police-e-mail-warns-rise-crime-12045/)

sculker 03-20-2009 04:27 PM

Police E-mail Warns Of Rise In Crime

:eek:

ATLANTA -- Thousands of Atlanta residents have received an email warning from a police major about rising, violent crime in Zone 5, which includes neighborhoods in downtown and midtown.

Major Khirus Williams sent out the alert after a string of robberies and carjackings Monday night.

Here is some of what he wrote:

"Please, let us all keep our exterior lights on to illuminate the area. This makes the area unpopular for criminals!

"Also, please have your family, friends, and neighbors to blow their horn when arriving. This allows us to watch for them until they arrive, inside, safely. Open the window dressings and hi-light them with a flash-light. Thus, the criminal element would be aware that someone is watching!

"Furthermore, we have to minimize just visiting in the drive way, or sidewalks, at nights. I know that this is unfair, but the criminals are becoming more brazen and this is their method of attack.. Patrols throughout the City are not as common as they were in the past, as a result of furloughs.

"In closing, we have to do things differently than we did in the past, until there is a change. Please, let us minimize the opportunity for us to become victims and assist others as they return home. "

Mjr. Williams say 2 to 5 men wearing hoodies that cover their faces are armed with guns and approaching people even when they're in groups and in lighted areas.

He also specificially references the current furloughs in the police department, which have cut patrols by 10% across the board.

"Right now, I feel like one of the most constructive things we can do is be completely honest with citizens about what they're up against and admit that police presence won't always be what it has been in the past," said Mjr. Williams.

Police E-mail Warns Of Rise In Crime - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Jesse17 03-20-2009 04:52 PM

I think it would be a good thing if the police did this sort of thing more often.

On the other hand, I can't help to wonder if his motivation was really to warn people, or scare them into demanding more funding for the police.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Jo da Plumbr 03-20-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 84561)
I think it would be a good thing if the police did this sort of thing more often.

Jesse
We have a neighborhood watch here and meet with the police rep every month. We get filled in on all the latest crime trends and scams affecting our neighborhoods. The police even give me flyers that I pass out to houses that donít attend the meetings. I think most cities have watch programs if they can get people to get involved.

Dillinger 03-20-2009 05:21 PM

Have you been to Atlanta?? Especially the area in question?

I was there in about mid 2001 and that place is RIPE with crime. You could probably pass 100 bills getting more police funds without too much problem. There are gangs and drugs EVERYWHERE.

For the police to take that measure means they must REALLY be up against it with the gang problem. That's scary. That isn't the type of thing that just fixes itself with picking up your pistol on the way to the store to make sure you are safe. Something goes down and you draw down on someone, you will have retribution from Hell to Christmas...

I don't envy the folks living there - but then again, if you allow your backyard to turn into a sh!thole, don't get upset with the rats....

JD

Samples.32 03-20-2009 05:36 PM

I was down in Atlanta last night....

Dillinger 03-20-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samples.32 (Post 84580)
I was down in Atlanta last night....

Really? In Zone 5? :eek::eek:

Were you packing?

JD

Samples.32 03-20-2009 06:13 PM

Around the area and I was with Aaron of course I was packing.

Dillinger 03-20-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samples.32 (Post 84600)
Around the area and I was with Aaron of course I was packing.

Wise beyond your years young lady, wise beyond your years. :D

Samples.32 03-20-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 84614)
Wise beyond your years young lady, wise beyond your years. :D

lol Thank you.

Jesse17 03-20-2009 08:32 PM

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers there. As I said, I was just thinking out loud. The fact that he mentioned the furloughs twice, just kind of caught my attention. I think he gave some good advice in the letter.

I think the fact that the police are using email like this is great. I know it leaves out the couple of people who still don't have email, but the more methods the police have to communicate with the people, the better.

I was actually working in Atlanta for 3 weeks in late 2000. I'm sure I wasn't anywhere near zone 5 though. I stayed as far away from downtown as possible. It's beautiful country around there. I spent a day out at Stone Mountain. That was the best day of my stay.