Police brutality - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Police brutality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

No excuses. Pull a gun on a LEO and die, motherf*cker. No sympathy from me.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #22

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I am really confused as to what happened in the 2nd video. Can anybody provide some insight?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #23
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I don't have speakers. Did they kill the guy? What a fool.
Yes, you can see the hit. It's the one when his hat pops off.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
agreed

Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Okay, you LEOs have a different standard then the rest of us. Got it. Or would civilians also be "allowed" to fire upon a armed felon in flight for the same reason?

It depends on your state in WA any person can use deadly force not only to protect them or any one around them but also to stop the commission of a felony in their presence or to place the person under citizens arrest for a felony. So in that video shooting would be legal for any person in WA.

Last edited by Jared; 09-23-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I would have shot the dumbazz in the first video too. He got what he deserved. If they hadn't killed him right then, Who's to say an innocent civilian or an LEO wouldn't be killed during the chase or the shootout that was certain to happen after the chase?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #27
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1705 Times on 883 Posts
Likes Given: 1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
. . any person can use deadly force . . . to place the person under citizens arrest for a felony.
See, now this is scary. Leaving it to anyone (non-LEOs) with a gun to determine the difference between; a BG running away from, and a BG running to, commit a felony.

Is escaping a citizen’s arrest a felony?

I'm not picking on WA laws, I'm thinking more about ethics & stuff.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1831 Times on 1306 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

Default Thumbs up.......

In the first vid. the cops finally hit the target..... In the second the cop should have shot first and then said I'm going to tase you.....+

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
I agree with your sentiment...being a retired LEO who HAS had guns pointed at me, and been shot at, and even got hit once.

BUT...my feeling is that if you pull a peice on ANYONE with criminal intent, you get a bb to the breadbasket. Then maybe the scumbags would get it through their thick heads that a life of crime is the exact opposite of a good idea.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
It depends on your state in WA any person can use deadly force not only to protect them or any one around them but also to stop the commission of a felony in their presence or to place the person under citizens arrest for a felony. So in that video shooting would be legal for any person in WA.
Well...this is where it gets really sticky. IF, as an officer, you fire at a fleeing felon you had better damned well be able to articulate why you did it even if the "law" in your state allows it. Very often it is against departmental policy in ANY situation to fire on a fleeing felon.

IF the subject demonstrates a "real and continuing danger to the community as a whole while in flight" is the pretty generic terminology I have found that justifies lethal force on a felon in flight.

Now, if the subject is still firing at officers while in flight, especially around a populated area where his rounds can be reasonably expected to hit bystanders...it is a no-brainer. Take him out if you can without harming bystanders, because remember....every bullet that issues from the end of your gun with the hole in it has a lawyer attached to it.

To MY mind, the same would be true in a non-leo situation. If things have gone to hell, and Barney The Bad Guy is still firing at you, even though he is in flight...you have to do what you have to do to survive. HOWEVER...some in the DA's office may say assert that "the danger to you had passed and the subject has disengaged, and was in retreat...." Horse hockey I know...BUT....it is possible.

This is one of the reasons why some departments forbid firing at a felon in flight.

A friend of mine fired into a car in which the driver was trying to run him down. My friend has nowhere to take cover safely, or evade the vehicular assault. He put 13 rounds of 9mm from his issue HK USP9 through the windshield, striking and critically wounding the driver...however, he was brought up on departmental AND criminal charges. He got a 2 week rip from the department he worked for, but was aquitted on the reckless endangerment, and assault with a deadly weapon charges. He resigned from that department, and moved over to ours. But it was MONTHS of aggravation, stress, headaches, literally hundreds of pages of depositions and testimony, and court transcripts before he got clear of it.

Something else to consider...whether you believe it or not...cops ARE held to a higher standard than civilians. We often hear phrases like "As a highly trained and experienced officer YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER", when in fact WE DID EXACTLY as we had been trained, or made the best call we could on the spot in a split-second decision where we reasonably believed we were in danger of death or grave bodily harm.

I was even asked by a lawyer at a deposition where I was being sued in civil court after an on-duty shooting: "Officer...you were wearing body armor weren't you?" When I answered in the affirmative he followed up with: "So, since you were wearing body armor, your life really wasn't in danger when my client allegedly fired at you in self defense."

So, you can see where it gets sticky.