For the police
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > For the police

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default For the police

America has finally pulled it's head out of its nether regions at least somewhat and there is a lot more of troop appreciation going on these days than there were fairly recently. I even have people come up to me and shake my hand. Even though that it makes me a little uncomfortable because I have not been deployed anywhere and the thanks belongs to actual veterans, it is still nice. The thing that bothers me however is the police. Why are there not a lot of bumper stickers thanking them for putting themselves on the line? Why are there not people going out of their way to shake their hands and thank them? There is a huge statistic of stroke, heart attack, and other stress related illnesses caused from them simply doing their duty. It is about time that they start getting the recognition that they deserve rather than the mistrust and scorn brought on by a few bad apples and the media. Thank you to all of the law enforcement personnel, If it weren't for you, America would be a lot worse off.

Police Family Bumper Stickers from CafePress

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

There aren't as many bumper stickers because of idiots like this guy: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f13/15-year-girl-beaten-police-11447/
I'm sure most police are good people trying to do a good job, but idiots like this guy and the granny-killers in Atlanta and that fool BART cop in Oakland get a lot more press than the solid performers.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

I realise that, but there are also bad guys in the military also. This week I am going to go out of my way and personally thank every cop that I see.(withing reason) That was two people with questionable tactics and by far not the majority. If they are more appreciated, maybe there will be a little less us vs. them attitudes.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
I realise that, but there are also bad guys in the military also. This week I am going to go out of my way and personally thank every cop that I see.(withing reason) That was two people with questionable tactics and by far not the majority. If they are more appreciated, maybe there will be a little less us vs. them attitudes.
True & when that idiot puppy-tosser video came out, there was a fairly swift response by military officials in investigating the incident & the personnel involved. The final resolution of many cases involving police mistakes/criminal activity don't seem to get as much coverage as when somebody drops the ball. The granny killers in Atlanta were recently sentenced for their crimes & i didn't hear any great fanfare about it. It was a footnote on CNN. If police departments would become more proactive and do more to prevent the "blue wall" effect, real or more likely perceived, they would be more appreciated. That is just my opinion.

Also, when a soldier accidentally kills or injures someone that shouldn't have been a target, that somebody is usually on another continent, speaks another language, and doesn't look so much like the person we passed at the post office as the average victim of a police mistake.

When i was a little kid, i was very impressed with our local police in my small home town; as i grew older, i kept hearing about little scandals that were swept under the rug. That kind of thing doesn't lead to a trusting relationship.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #5

You have quite a few good points. The reason that I started this thread was to thank all of the police that do do their duty to the best of their ability. There are many police that are decent people who are exposed to danger because of their job. I am pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of police are like this. As for the ones that are corrupt, they should serve much stiffer criminal sentences than the average citizen because they are held to a higher standard.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
The reason that I started this thread was to thank all of the police that do do their duty to the best of their ability. There are many police that are decent people who are exposed to danger because of their job.
Quite true! There were a couple in southern MS back in the 90's; they issued me a citation for misdemeanor possession of marijuana on a canoe trip. These two were really just trying to make sure none of the younger kids on the river that day saw us college kids drinking beer (2 ice chests per each of a dozen canoes). They were nice enough to go out of their way to give a buddy of mine a ride to get my ID & money for my fine. Those were some darn good cops in my opinion! I felt much worse about the beer & bud than i would have if they had been jerks & the young lady with me (also fined for her buds) agreed. I wish there were more LEO's like those two.

{RIP to the one long arm of the law. }

Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #7

Very true. It seems to me that (speaking of marijuana) the police are also held under scrutiny for having to uphold laws that many see as illegal. Some of our laws have no business being law and the police are penalized for having to uphold that law, as in the case of drug laws, seat belt laws, drinking laws, etc.
Instead of holding the police responsible for doing their job, we should be holding lawmakers responsible for passing silly laws that they have no business being in.
I also have had run ins with good cops and complete dicks that had a chip on their shoulder because of their power, but I have found these to be few and far between.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have nothing but respect for the men and women that do that job. Yeah, EVERY profession has it bad apples. These guys put their lives on the line every day they are out. Every day during their career that they are out on the road or street, not 12 or 15 months at a time. Liability and the hostile press a constant presence while dealing with dirtbags that would sooner assault an officer than anything...no thanks. God Bless 'em.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #9

But what would happen if they weren't there? There would be either complete lawlessness, or vigilante justice where you could get hung for killing a milk cow or killed for something that you didn't even do. As a general rule vigilantes care nothing for due process. By their very presence, the police curtail a lot more crime than you realize.
The police are not superman, It is unrealistic to expect them to be at the scene of a crime on time 100% of the time. The fact that they can't wormhole to another spot on earth is the reason that I myself am also armed. The police make it so that there is a smaller chance that I will have to use my weapon to protect myself.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
the REAL reason you don't see bumper stickers is that the cops are never there when 90% of the population needs them, but they're always there to write you a damn speeding ticket for driving 1 mph over on A1A.

Please. The cops are a fuggin' joke. Let's say someone breaks in my house, trying to kill me. I call the police. 3 min later I've got a bullet in my head and here comes Buford T. Justice, drawing a chalk outline around my body. No thank you. Don't need em and don't want em.
McNabb said it best. And certainly in a calmer manner than I could ever have responded to that sh1t you just spewed out of your mouth. There are a lot of very respectable LEOs here and your certainly not making yourself welcome. I think I'll let robocop tear you a new a$$hole.