polar ice caps melting on mars - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > polar ice caps melting on mars

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

Liberal science? Maybe, but it beats no science at all.
Wow!!

So, if it's not your liberal version of "science", then it is not considered science at all...
How completely closed minded and political.
And uneducated.

Saying this with several technical degrees and decades in a scientific career.
But --- wait... it means nothing ... because "Liberal science" takes precedence - according to these great thinkers.

And Al Gore must be ordering up some sort of disclaimer explanation for the Mars ice caps thing. I'm certain he can do it. He can explain away anything he comes across.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #32

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
How many people here ( religion set aside and not figured in) believe that every single thing on this planet has a beginning and an end?

I don't believe in a definite beginning and end for every single thing. Just as an example, the longevity of the age of the dinosaurs was brought up. Okay, that's great, but there were 3-4 major "ages" (the number depends on who you ask, it seems), and each age had "smaller" extinction events throughout. Even still, we have survivors of the dinosaur age to this day. Hmmm.... Yep, obviously not a definite end there. Hell, some of us wear dinodescendents as boots, and I would love to have a pair...

To think that we, as human beings, being the only species in the history of the world able to think abstractly and reason as far as we know, would die off is just silly. I do wonder if we will be the same 1000 years from now as we are now. Personally, I'm very intrigued by genetic engineering and cybernetics. "Old Man's War" got me really interested in the possibilities (John Scalzi I believe, great book).

Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #33

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Imo if we already know everything has a beginning and an end and even with every scientific breakthrough or miracle from god ever known to man has found a way to stop this then it is inevitable. One day, everything we see around us will cease to exist, including civilization. So I try to live my life like there is no tomorrow and don't worry about the trivial things. Would I like to know when and how things are gonna end? When my time will be to " kick the bucket" so to speak. Not really. Honestly I don't want to know when or how I'm gonna die. I want to keep on living like I am til that time comes.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #34

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

Wow!!

So, if it's not your liberal version of "science", then it is not considered science at all...
How completely closed minded and political.
And uneducated.

Saying this with several technical degrees and decades in a scientific career.
But --- wait... it means nothing ... because "Liberal science" takes precedence - according to these great thinkers.

And Al Gore must be ordering up some sort of disclaimer explanation for the Mars ice caps thing. I'm certain he can do it. He can explain away anything he comes across.
You nailed it. An undergraduate and a masters degree, along with independent research, I feel that arguing against emotion is rather pointless. If a qualified person wants to compare numbers and have a substantive debate, I am ready. If you want to quote politicians and what you read in the New York times, we aren't going to get very far. It is like when I try to tell a religious friend or family member that the earth is billions of years old, all they have to say is "no the bible says..." and in their mind, the argument is over.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #35

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

[QUOTE="trip286;1043985"]

I don't believe in a definite beginning and end for every single thing. Just as an example, the longevity of the age of the dinosaurs was brought up. Okay, that's great, but there were 3-4 major "ages" (the number depends on who you ask, it seems), and each age had "smaller" extinction events throughout. Even still, we have survivors of the dinosaur age to this day. Hmmm.... Yep, obviously not a definite end there. Hell, some of us wear dinodescendents as boots, and I would love to have a pair...

To think that we, as human beings, being the only species in the history of the world able to think abstractly and reason as far as we know, would die off is just silly.

The dinosaurs are gone. Yes there may be "descendents" left but they are not actual dinosaurs. You said there was extinction events so in order for it to be an extinction, the entire species had to be wiped out. That's what extinction is. They cease to be here and are no more. Now I'm not saying that after civilization there will be nothing at all. There is no way to know what will be around when we are gone. But I do believe there will be an end, just as there was a beginning.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5667 Times on 2959 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Please keep politics religion and conspiracy in the appropriate sunforums.

Thanks

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Closed Thread