Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > polar ice caps melting on mars

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 376 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Ok. This post might get this thread tossed into the conspiracy pile but here it is. Pop culture, Mayans, Nostradamus. All in one for our end of the ice caps world melting enjoyment.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #22

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As I geologist, I can tell you that this planet along with others, go through regular climate cycles. There were times when the entire earth was frozen over, and that for most of earth history there was NO ice on the planet. We are in a transitional period which is colder than the median temperature for earth history. Also, in those times when there was no ice and more atmospheric carbon, life flourished more than at any other time. Google the carboniferous and permian geologic periods. And just for the hell of it look at the Viking cultivation of Greenland.

As for the Mayan calendar. My theory is that Cortez shot the calendar maker as he was about to carve December 22 2012. They had to stop making calendars at sone point.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #23

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
This is true, but I don't think this Mayan prediction will amount to anything. And if it does, humans may be fragile, but the human race is not. It won't be the end of our kind. We're like cockroaches, and twinkies.
Yea, well, I bet the dinosaurs thought the same thing.

Humans are newcomers compared to the history of the Earth. We are an experiment of nature. Most experiments are doomed to failure. The Dinosaurs were around for hundreds of millions of years. The human race has been here less then five million. (depending on what you call "human") We stand almost no chance of beating the "terrible lizards" record.

We are the first species to have the ability to destroy our environment and we are working hard at it. There is a small range of climate that we can survive in, just like the dinosaurs.

Our enviroment goes through natural cycles of hot and cold, but we have the ability to enhance or mitigate the effects of the natural cycle.

Our greed and ignorance leads to denial of the facts. We depend on corporate giants, with profits as a motive, to tell us what is good for us instead of scientist. That is a similiar to depending on a "faith healer" rather than a medical doctor to save us from an infection. That is not a good formula for success.

We will survive to see this Christmas and so, probably will our 5th great grand children, but the jury is still out on what will happen to our 10th great grandchildren.

Liberal science? Maybe, but it beats no science at all.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #24

Liked 114 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Back to the OP, if the caps are melting they will eventually blame us. Humans. It will be because of our exploration (rovers, probes etc) that are causing it.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #25

Liked 559 Times on 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

Yea, well, I bet the dinosaurs thought the same thing.

Humans are newcomers compared to the history of the Earth. We are an experiment of nature. Most experiments are doomed to failure. The Dinosaurs were around for hundreds of millions of years. The human race has been here less then five million. (depending on what you call "human") We stand almost no chance of beating the "terrible lizards" record.

We are the first species to have the ability to destroy our environment and we are working hard at it. There is a small range of climate that we can survive in, just like the dinosaurs.

Our enviroment goes through natural cycles of hot and cold, but we have the ability to enhance or mitigate the effects of the natural cycle.

Our greed and ignorance leads to denial of the facts. We depend on corporate giants, with profits as a motive, to tell us what is good for us instead of scientist. That is a similiar to depending on a "faith healer" rather than a medical doctor to save us from an infection. That is not a good formula for success.

We will survive to see this Christmas and so, probably will our 5th great grand children, but the jury is still out on what will happen to our 10th great grandchildren.

We are also the first civilization able to "leave" our own planet. Look how far we have come since the discovery of electricity. A few hundred more years and space travel will be as common as getting on a commercial airplane today.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Science is apolitical. As soon as it becomes subjective, such as the case with "liberal science", it ceases to be science at all. Believe me, as a scientist, I have researched this topic extensively and my conclusion is that to say that our climate is changing at anything other than a normal pace is ignorant and short sighted. Where I live here I Pennsylvania, there are ancient sea beds that stretch for miles beneath my feet. If you consider the massive forces and time that are required to make that happen, you will realize that humans could have nothing but a superficial effect on the earth.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #27

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
Science is apolitical. As soon as it becomes subjective, such as the case with "liberal science", it ceases to be science at all. Believe me, as a scientist, I have researched this topic extensively and my conclusion is that to say that our climate is changing at anything other than a normal pace is ignorant and short sighted. Where I live here I Pennsylvania, there are ancient sea beds that stretch for miles beneath my feet. If you consider the massive forces and time that are required to make that happen, you will realize that humans could have nothing but a superficial effect on the earth.
The "liberal science" remark was a preemptive strike; but I bet you knew that.

As a scientist you must know that you are in the tiny majority who share your views. To most scientist, who study climate change, man made climate change is only arguable as a matter of degree, rather then it's existance.

As a non-scientist, I accept the consensus view of the vast majority of scientist.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

The "liberal science" remark was a preemptive strike; but I bet you knew that.

As a scientist you must know that you are in the tiny majority who share your views. To most scientist, who study climate change, man made climate change is only arguable as a matter of degree, rather then it's existance.

As a non-scientist, I accept the consensus view of the vast majority of scientist.
My opinion is that science is being bastardized by liberals as is most of the rest of our society. I believe that those who examine data objectively and honestly may be in the minority, but are actually searching for the truth. Remember what Copernicus and Galileo among others had to deal with?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #29

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

How many people here ( religion set aside and not figured in) believe that every single thing on this planet has a beginning and an end?

Now I lay me down to sleep,
A gun beside my bed I keep.
If I awake to find you inside,
A coroner van will be your last ride.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556
How many people here ( religion set aside and not figured in) believe that every single thing on this planet has a beginning and an end?
Absolutely

Closed Thread