Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is this poison ivy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1072 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Take a bleach water bath & yes I am serious....................

When all else fails.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 911 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Got it the first summer we lived on the farm, have never had it since. Dad and my brother would get it every summer, I was right there with them never got it again. It has been quite a while since I have been around it though and I wonder if the immunity wears off with no exposure.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7725 Times on 4459 Posts
Likes Given: 9957

Actually I don't think it is poison ivy. The stems look wrong to me. Poison ivy (and oak) have round stems, in the pic the stems look ribbed (for your comfort LOL!) Also, the stem looks like it is wrapping around the stems as a true vine such as string bean does, where poison ivy has these little hold-fast hairs that grow from the stems, just like English Ivy has. Maybe clematis?

For the record, one can build up a tolerance to poison ivy/oak/sumac by frequent and heavy exposure. I did it as a kid and was relatively "immune" (read: "Very high tolerance") to poison oak. I have been exposed to sumac with no ill effects as well. These days, with much less frequent exposure, I will get it if my skin is abraded or scratched by it, but only then. I can pick it up and touch all over without getting it.

Some of my laborers are totally immune to it. They have some Inca or Aztec blood though. I think that is why. I have had them clear out acres of poison oak and they never get even a little bit of reaction.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 06-01-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #24

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

I never got it as a kid. I used to tear it off an old buildings, and never got it. Now it get it by touching something that touched it.

Is it just me, or does it seem to affect people much differently?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #25

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Not everyone is allergic to poison ivy,most but not all.
Tru-Dat...I've been able to pull it up by the roots since I was a kid.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19789 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49869

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I never got it as a kid. I used to tear it off an old buildings, and never got it. Now it get it by touching something that touched it.

Is it just me, or does it seem to affect people much differently?
when i was a youngster i got it extremely bad. so bad the blisters would swell so huge i couldn't even make a fist with my hands, and would dang near swell my face to the point i had a hard time seeing or even talking. my father found a doctor who gave me a series of shots over several months. now i barely even get a rash if i get it all.

lot of people don't realize that even when it's dormant in the wintertime, you can still be affected by it. even dried poison ivy can affect you. some people even have an allergy to it if it's burned and they are exposed to the smoke from it.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5615 Times on 2778 Posts
Likes Given: 5977

Not sure how I avoided it as a little rural Rat but I really only got it once bad (and it was really bad), riding bareback on a horse in shorts! The neighbor girl who owned the horses also got it bad in the same place (Crotchle Zone). We tied the horses up next to a swimming hole and didnt notice the Ivy, they rolled in it while we swam, we jumped on our respective horses with our wet shorts and within an hour, both of us were in serious pain.

Luckily, our parents didnt freak or jump to conclusions cause it looked pretty bad, both of us with major rashes on our do-dads and gal parts! I never did that again!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

This is how you deal with Poison Ivy

batman-poisonivy.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #29

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Had it a bunch. Hate the stuff. I look at it and break out.

Funny story, in high school, fella that played football with me was telling us he had gone camping. Nature called and he used the wrong leaves. Lol, so he had poison ivy breakout on his "stuff." Saw his girlfriend later that day. Oddly enough her mouth had it too...... Lmao

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

People Like This 
Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #30
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Scratching does not spread poison ivy. Scratch it to open it up and spread dawn dish washing detergent on it and let it dry there. It'll seep the oil out and dry it right up. Next time you get into it wash up with dawn as soon as you get home. Wash whatever you were wearing as the oil can remain on the clothes and active for about a year. Learn to identify and avoid the plant.
Oh BTW the dawn may burn a bit. That means it is working.

I don't need No stinking signature.

axxe55 Likes This