Plumbing, Pros and Cons of Calling a Professional - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Plumbing, Pros and Cons of Calling a Professional

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #61
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
And I suppose they charge you a fee for this permission to fix your own property?
Oh Hell yeah they do! I think the guy who replaced his windows had to pay some $600 in permit fees and the actual work including materials was around $400.

Quote:
You know guys these are elected or appointed officials which means "you"
pay them to dictate to you. So why do you tolerate this? You can't fix it overnight but you can incrementally, the very same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time! These officials have to justify their existence and the their only avenue is more and more legislation which makes your life more and more difficult.
Yes, and this is why I am not in favor of paying their protection money. I have been lobbying with the County Supervisors for years to get this protection racket run by the Planning and Permitting Department cleaned out and fixed right. My angle with the Supes is that if all of the non-permitted ("illegal") construction in the County had been done with permits the County would see a significant increase in property taxes as a result. It behooves them to have an amnesty and legalize all of these improvements and gain the tax revenue as a result.

In the future if Planning does their job and is not being overly burdensome in their requirements (both cost of permits and the required improvements on any given project) then the county would benefit in the long term from that. The way it is very, very few people seek permits so the County loses out on both ends of the deal.

Me? I don't need no stinking permits!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 154 Posts

Permits should only be required for new construction, at least that is what it says in the front of the code.

A lot of the local AHJs don't seem to actually read the whole thing.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #63
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6322 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 6797

They would certainly sell me permits if I wanted them but Screw that, Im paying taxes already buddy! Besides, I work with Codes guys on local jobsites, they dont know crap, they are all partimers and their other jobs are farmers and handymen!

Can you imagine if America was built with permits? We wouldnt have filled the 13 colonies much less a continent!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #64

Not to mention they are more focused on (at least around here) getting these exorbitant permitting fees than they are on the benefits of the increased property value and the increased tax revenue that this brings to them in the long term. I would think that logically it would seem obvious that the tax revenue benefit would far exceed any permit fees that they could reasonably (or unreasonably!) expect to bleed out of us.

Conversely when a homeowner improves their home without permits, they don't get a single flippin dime out of it.

So what is the better benefit? A percentage of something or a percentage of nothing?

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 02-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #65
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Not to mention they are more focused on (at least around here) getting these exorbitant permitting fees than they are on the benefits of the increased property value and the increased tax revenue that this brings to them in the long term. I would think that logically it would seem obvious that the tax revenue benefit would far exceed any permit fees that they could reasonably (or unreasonably!) expect to bleed out of us.

Conversely when a homeowner improves their home without permits, they don't get a single flippin dime out of it.

So what is the better benefit? A percentage of something or a percentage of nothing?
That is a prime example of gov. run amuck, I work for q a small municipality in NH. Often with Code Enforcement/Building Inspection and the fees for commercial work is one percent of the total cost. I'm not sure if that applies to residential, buut in the end that ends up being a goodly sum at the end of the year.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
That is a prime example of gov. run amuck, I work for q a small municipality in NH. Often with Code Enforcement/Building Inspection and the fees for commercial work is one percent of the total cost. I'm not sure if that applies to residential, buut in the end that ends up being a goodly sum at the end of the year.
Around here it depends on the project. I think they have a menu pricing system for most things for homeowners. There is a different scale for commercial and/or developers.

Not too long ago (less than 10 years ago) I saw a chart showing the different permit fees for residential solar installations for the greater SF Bay Area and it ranged from a little over $20 in one town to well over $1000 (perhaps more) in the town right next to that one. I'll see if I can did it up (I am sure they have adjusted things since then).

Quote:

Old 02-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #67
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Around here you need permit for new construction/ additions. If you are remodeling an existing structure you don't need a permit. When I built my house the permit cost was by the square foot, and they counted the basement and the garage not just the living space. When I built my shop they told me it couldn't be more square feet than the house. I said I wanted to build a 50 by 100 shop, which was the square footage they charged me for on the house permit.
" Oh no sir the garage and basement don't count in the square footage of your house towards your shop."

"But you charged me for those square feet on the house why don't they count"

"Well they just don't"

Ok I admit I was pushing because I couldn't afford a 50 by 100 shop anyhow, but it just pissed me off that the rules were different. A half mile south of me is a different township where you don't need permits for almost anything.

Quick funny story, I built my house myself, with relatives, & friends helping. The week before Christmas 2002 the house was basically done but still needed a lot of finishing touches. We were cramped in a mobile home and were tired of it. I told my then wife on Thursday "start packing we are moving on Saturday", and we did. About 3 months later I had finished the "to do" list and called for the final inspection. The inspector showed up, looked around and saw my 1 year olds toys all over the house plus the furniture and everything else and just grinned and said "so, you're just about ready to move in" I replied "yes sir just about ready". He did his inspection found only one thing wrong but let me slide on the promise that I would fix it before the end of the day (minor insulation problem) and gave me my final permit.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #68

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I'm going to ask a simple question.

1. Do you work for a living? If yes, see question 2.

2. Do you carry workman's comp and disability insurance on yourself for your home repair projects? If No, see question 3.

3. Can you afford to live without income?

Hire a pro for the jobs that could hurt you. If they get hurt they have insurance. Hire ONLY licensed and insured contractors. Never be afraid to ask for and verify their coverage. The life you save may be your loved ones.
I disagree, because SO many things we do on a daily basis can hurt us just as bad. Driving a car can be extremely dangerous and I'm sure your fully aware of what can happen when something goes wrong. Shooting can be dangerous if caution is not practiced constantly. Anything from a ricochet to a negligent discharge can injure or kill.

I don't and won't live my life fearing what could happen. I will instead exercise the correct amount of caution when doing something that has to potential to injure.

Over the last few years, we have renovated a bathroom, insulated the attic, replaced the hot water heater, and have none numerous other small repairs. We RARELY call a professional. Mainly because my grandfather is a true jack of all trades.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-18-2014 at 07:02 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #69

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Just an FYI if you try to sell a house that has unpermitted work done to it it may bite you on the ass when you try to sell. Things like porches , plumbing etc may all have to be removed in order for the bank to give the borrower a loan. Just an FYI.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #70
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well i am very good at being able to access my abilities to do a job. i do this at work day in, and day out. there are some things even at work that i farm out to other shops because i lack the tools or the equipment to do the job properly. i do no less when it comes to my personal projects, whether it be my vehicles or my house.

if unsure of your ability to do the job properly and to safe standards, then by all means retain the services of a professional to do the job. but make sure the person doing the work is capable and professional at being able to do the job right. check their references. anyone who is proud of their work will not hesitate in letting you check them out.