Plumbing, Pros and Cons of Calling a Professional - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Plumbing, Pros and Cons of Calling a Professional

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2090 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 6230

Wow, this thread is enlightening. I found out that you can PAY someone to do this stuff!

I'll do it all. I did have to hire a plumber to fix a leak at the rental house when I was wintering in Arizona.
If I am up against a time line I'll hire to get it done. We did have local guys do the gas and hvac in our current house.

I will work on electrical while the power is on, but still haven't worked on plumbing with the water on!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #32

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Also, I'm a master electrician in 2 states. There is a reason that it takes 5 years of school and experience to become licensed. Electricity is dangerous, it's silent, odorless and you can't see it when it's present. If you're unsure of your skills it is best to call a professional. I've seen lots of people hurt because they were working on energized circuits/equipment. I have also seen fires start because of miswired equipment. As I type this I am on a 15 min break in my 15 hour code update class that I have to attend every code cycle which is every 3 years. There is much more to wiring a house, or any other structure, than meets the eye. I would gladly answer any troubleshooting or code questions any of you have. Feel free to pm me or start a thread on it!
People Like This 
Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #33
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10955 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Quote:
I would not attempt gas piping without the proper training.
Know what the insurance companies call a homeowner that does his own gas line work?

Claimant.
People Like This 
Old 02-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 544 Times on 328 Posts

Electricity is not for the faint at heart. And I work with it every day. I have been in manholes with 12-5 and 14-2 high voltage buzzing next to my head and back that was 20 plus years old . I have but my hands in 480v and 208 panels cause you can't shut them down.
I was once told when I was a first year apprentice, There are old Electricians and there are Bold Electricians but you will never see a Bold old Electricians.
To this day live by those words and I tell my apprentices that same thing.
I have seen to many screw ups because someone bought a time life book from Home Depot and thought they could do there own wiring in there house. And then I have come over and fix it the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"I'm an A**hole"
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #35

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Default Plumbing, Pros and Cons of Calling a Professional

Another thing to mention for the DIY'ers, is the importance of having the correct tools. A basin wrench, for example, is a must own, but some people have never heard of it. There are so many tools out there for plumbing that make the difference between a half hour or 4 hours. Moen, sells a $12 tool for replacing seats and springs just for their items.
Also, I just want to mention that if you own the name brand faucets, most are guaranteed for life. So if you have a problem you can call them and they'll send you new parts.

Last edited by fordracing; 02-16-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1376 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Know what the insurance companies call a homeowner that does his own gas line work?

Claimant.
Pffft, gas is easy. Screw a bunch of part together, make it tight, and then tighten it again

I moved the stupid gas line that was put in the wrong place and sent my wife off to the store to get a 4" extension... except I need 5". I made it work, but a pro would have likely had an assortment of lengths in their truck.

Electrical, I would LOVE to find the electrician that wired my current (1998/9) house. Not sure if it was lazy, cheap, uninformed, or all the above, but one of my pet peeves is all three bathrooms are wired to ONE GFI plug. And it passed the building inspection.

I'm absolutely convinced the prior owner of my former house was attempting to burn the place down. There were some extremely dangerous things done with the wiring, including putting a roofing nail through the the romex cable when it was run between the doorwall and wall stud.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8166 Times on 4467 Posts
Likes Given: 7951

My doctor never arrested anyone, and I never performed surgery on anyone.

There's usually a good reason a person is a "professional."

It's called training, and experience under qualified supervision.

Now I can squeeze a penny as tightly as any other Scotsman, but when something important needs to be done, I get a pro to do it.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I recently replaced a tank water heater with a tankless one. it was a big project but it is done. I also installed a shower stall where there had only been a tub before. All of this included having to cut into the space under the house (no crawl access) to repipe between the shower and water heater because the old pipes twisted off under the floor and I had to upgrade the gas line to 3/4" from 1/2" (what was said earlier about more BTUs needed for the tankless heaters is correct). Gas lines are a piece of cake. Turn it off, ventilate, use thread sealing compound that is rated for gas, and the proper pipe (do not PVC!!!), tighten the fittings correctly and then, most importantly, carefully leak check the new stuff (and anywhere that the old stuff might have gotten compromised) with a soapy water solution.

The thing is that I did talk to several professional plumbers and they all said they would not touch it because the house is too old (100 years) and unless I did a full house re-pipe along with moving the water heater to an outside location they would not do it. Okey doke. Did it myself for a fraction of the cost, even if it did take me a lot longer to get it done.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #39

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

All tradesmen are not worth hiring and sometimes you won't know for sure until you've hired him. I had a journeyman plumber/fitter connect a dishwasher in my wife's new, custom-made kitchen. She called in tears when she discovered a puddle of water had been left in one of those new cabinets by Mr. Red Seal and the bottom of the cabinet was blistered by the time she went to clean up after him. I left for home to have a word with the dummie and was a mile from the house when I met his van on the road. Just as well.

Other trades have been great and I was glad to have their services. Looking back, though, I'd say that it would be unlikely that a tradesman will do better on any job I am capable of doing. That is very possible but just not likely. It's not that these guys don't know more than I do, I'm sure they do. But there just doesn't seem to be enough pride in one's workmanship anymore; at least that's been my experience. I wouldn't move my electrical panel but I have run new circuits, incl. 220v. Most of it is just not that hard..if you go slow and read up on it beforehand. Mind you, I live out in the country so my inspector is me.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if you have a job that requires a pro because of lack of ability or time to do the job, then get references. talk to family and friends and see who they use or have used.

yes, there are those who call themselves pros, that are anything but professional. word of mouth does get around about them if the town is small enough.
Rocky7 Likes This