Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Planning a Trip West (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/planning-trip-west-92579/)

beaglesam 06-20-2013 01:43 PM

Planning a Trip West

My wife and I are planning a trip west. South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado. We will be in Custer, SD for four or five days and then traveling to Wyoming, Montana, possibly Idaho and then back home stopping in Denver. What are our must see's and do's. Sights, museums, restaurants, anything that you think might be interesting.

Overkill0084 06-20-2013 02:39 PM

Dip south and swing through UT on 15 and catch 70 to Denver. If you can't find stuff to see & do in the northern UT/SLC area, you just aren't trying.

tri70 06-20-2013 02:48 PM

The Wall Drug Store, Mt Rushmore, Sturgis . Are you taking a rifle for blasting any prairie dogs?

beaglesam 06-20-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri70 (Post 1281578)
The Wall Drug Store, Mt Rushmore, Sturgis . Are you taking a rifle for blasting any prairie dogs?

What kind of licensing is involved with that?

beaglesam 06-20-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 1281570)
Dip south and swing through UT on 15 and catch 70 to Denver. If you can't find stuff to see & do in the northern UT/SLC area, you just aren't trying.

Thanks that's a great suggestion.

tri70 06-20-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaglesam (Post 1281586)
What kind of licensing is involved with that?

Just small game, most land owners are looking for people to take of a problem infestation. Some land owners may charge a small fee of $20-25.

onenut58 06-20-2013 08:25 PM

If you make it as far as Idaho I would suggest travel on I-90 across Montana into north Idaho.I don't know what your interests are but I would stop in Haugen Montana at the 10,000 dollar bar which is right off the free way and full of souveniers etc. If you like to fish Mt. has three day permits cheap and big creek the river in front of this bar is full native of trout.
A half hour west you cross the Idaho Montana border at the top of look out pass and look down on the tiny town I grew up in and have a view of the valley like a topographical map. There is a ski lodge there as well with summer activities.
As you go west into Idaho you will be traveling through the silver valley in the middle of the bitterroot strain of the rocky mountains. There is a small mining museum and mine tour of a under ground silver mine in wallace.
The 20 mile ride through the valleys small towns will bring you to Kellogg Idaho where there is a gondola one of the longest in the world taking you to a peak where you can see thirty miles across the mountians , a ski lodge with all amenities and summer concerts with big name singers and bands.
All through the area you can rent mountain bikes atv and tours into the mountians where you see wild game like elk moose bear white tail and mule deer and other critters including wolves.
There are out fitters who will take you fishing white water rafting horse backing etc.
If you travel 20 miles west you will cross a pass called fourth of July and drop down into a larger valley area where the town of CouerD Alene is and less wild than the silver valley. There is a lake 35 miles across the city sits by with motels beaches your wife will slap your head off for looking at the scenery.
Right off the main street in town there is boat rental conoes kyaks jet skis float planes and paragliding.There are a couple of large tour boats that will take you around the lake as well.
There is a large motel built out over the lake with a huge board walk around it and resturants etc. One block away is shopping in the shops on Sherman avenue.
North is a another lake larger with out fitters who will take you fishing and rentals for boats and thing like on CDA lake. If your adventurous and want to stike out on your own back in the silver valley you can rent a atv and go hours into wilderness both north and south of the free way all on forest service public land.
Get a map or gps.
The pan handle of north Idaho is only 45 miles across.It is dead center of the bitterroot mountains and tons of things to see and do.Small mountain lakes to hike into and lots of game to see.
Google up Wallace Idaho , Kellogg Idaho and CouerDAlene and sand point Idaho. I also suggest looking the area over with google earth so you can see I-90 as a scratch across a large wilderness area. You can follow I-90 from the Montana border at Mullan Idaho where I grew up to the Washington border 45 miles west where Spokane is.
Going any further west the 350 miles to seatle from Spokane you leave the bitterroots and cross sage brush areas with huge valleys until you get to snowqualmy pass and drop into seatle area where your back in mountains and trees etc.
If you stay east of Spokane in the silver valley area open carry is legal and common mostly whats seen are magnum revolvers and rifles and shot guns in pickup gun racks etc.No body cares if you are carrying a gun every body else has them to.Over around CouerDalene open carry is legal but not seen much because there is no danger of wild animals in the area unless you go off into the surrounding mountains and you do see in the outerlying small towns people packing guns on four wheelers etc.
If you decide to head off in the woods on your own take a 41 or 44 magnum or a high power rifle or 12 gauge. There are a lot of bears including a rare griz and lots of black bears that run around five hundred pounds pretty common there are a lot of moose in the lower elevations and they can be a problem sometimes as well.
Chances are slim you will encounter a problem that way but it only takes once so I would be safe rather than sorry.
CouerDAlene has indoor and out door ranges and lots of guns stores and pawn shops.

beaglesam 06-20-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onenut58 (Post 1281802)
If you make it as far as Idaho I would suggest travel on I-90 across Montana into north Idaho.I don't know what your interests are but I would stop in Haugen Montana at the 10,000 dollar bar which is right off the free way and full of souveniers etc. If you like to fish Mt. has three day permits cheap and big creek the river in front of this bar is full native of trout.
A half hour west you cross the Idaho Montana border at the top of look out pass and look down on the tiny town I grew up in and have a view of the valley like a topographical map. There is a ski lodge there as well with summer activities.
As you go west into Idaho you will be traveling through the silver valley in the middle of the bitterroot strain of the rocky mountains. There is a small mining museum and mine tour of a under ground silver mine in wallace.
The 20 mile ride through the valleys small towns will bring you to Kellogg Idaho where there is a gondola one of the longest in the world taking you to a peak where you can see thirty miles across the mountians , a ski lodge with all amenities and summer concerts with big name singers and bands.
All through the area you can rent mountain bikes atv and tours into the mountians where you see wild game like elk moose bear white tail and mule deer and other critters including wolves.
There are out fitters who will take you fishing white water rafting horse backing etc.
If you travel 20 miles west you will cross a pass called fourth of July and drop down into a larger valley area where the town of CouerD Alene is and less wild than the silver valley. There is a lake 35 miles across the city sits by with motels beaches your wife will slap your head off for looking at the scenery.
Right off the main street in town there is boat rental conoes kyaks jet skis float planes and paragliding.There are a couple of large tour boats that will take you around the lake as well.
There is a large motel built out over the lake with a huge board walk around it and resturants etc. One block away is shopping in the shops on Sherman avenue.
North is a another lake larger with out fitters who will take you fishing and rentals for boats and thing like on CDA lake. If your adventurous and want to stike out on your own back in the silver valley you can rent a atv and go hours into wilderness both north and south of the free way all on forest service public land.
Get a map or gps.
The pan handle of north Idaho is only 45 miles across.It is dead center of the bitterroot mountains and tons of things to see and do.Small mountain lakes to hike into and lots of game to see.
Google up Wallace Idaho , Kellogg Idaho and CouerDAlene and sand point Idaho. I also suggest looking the area over with google earth so you can see I-90 as a scratch across a large wilderness area. You can follow I-90 from the Montana border at Mullan Idaho where I grew up to the Washington border 45 miles west where Spokane is.
Going any further west the 350 miles to seatle from Spokane you leave the bitterroots and cross sage brush areas with huge valleys until you get to snowqualmy pass and drop into seatle area where your back in mountains and trees etc.
If you stay east of Spokane in the silver valley area open carry is legal and common mostly whats seen are magnum revolvers and rifles and shot guns in pickup gun racks etc.No body cares if you are carrying a gun every body else has them to.Over around CouerDalene open carry is legal but not seen much because there is no danger of wild animals in the area unless you go off into the surrounding mountains and you do see in the outerlying small towns people packing guns on four wheelers etc.
If you decide to head off in the woods on your own take a 41 or 44 magnum or a high power rifle or 12 gauge. There are a lot of bears including a rare griz and lots of black bears that run around five hundred pounds pretty common there are a lot of moose in the lower elevations and they can be a problem sometimes as well.
Chances are slim you will encounter a problem that way but it only takes once so I would be safe rather than sorry.
CouerDAlene has indoor and out door ranges and lots of guns stores and pawn shops.

Thanks for the info, this exactly what we are looking for. We have been looking forward to this trip for several years.

MOshooter 06-21-2013 12:56 AM

Beaglesam there's so much to see in those states you've mentioned

South Dakota everything tri70 mentioned along with Keystone near Mount Rushmore,needles,Deadwood,chief crazy horse monument,prairie dog hunting.and some really good trout fishing around Rapid City,and don't forget the badlands.

Colorado's full of must see sites The Rockies,Estes Park,Pikes Peak,Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs,Hwy. 550 known as the Million Dollar Highway in the Ouray and Silverton area,Gunnison Black Canyon,Rocky Mountain National park. I would've mentioned the Royal Gorge near Cannon city,but I believe it's burnt up after the last CO. fire.

Wyoming Devils Tower,Yellowstone,Grand Tetons, Beartooth pass,Teton pass Hwy. and Jackson Hole Wy.

rockratt 06-21-2013 01:49 AM

Ouray Colorado. Gods country!!! Then down 550.