Planning a Northern Minnesota canoe trip. Questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Planning a Northern Minnesota canoe trip. Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 543 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default Planning a Northern Minnesota canoe trip. Questions

Well my wife and I are planning a 5 day canoe trip through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of Northern Minnesota with our dog. I have been once before (actually to the Canadian side) but my wife has never done something like this before. I have no doubt of her ability to make it through as I have planned only a 25 mile trip along the Kawishiwi river (southern river I think). So now for the questions:

1) I know my Texas CHL is accepted in Minnesota, but from what I am reading MN has some form of open carry. What are the laws and regulations pertaining to open carry in the MN wilderness? I have searched handgunlaw.us and the MN statues and haven't found a thing.

2) Are there Grizzly bears in MN? I don't do grizzly bears, black bears sure, but grizzlies no way; hence the gun I plan to carry. The gun is of course is the last line of protection if the smell of my dog, loud noises we would make, throwing rocks, and bear spray failed.

3) What outfitter would you recommend if you have experience in this area? Most seem to recommend Voyageur North Outfitters which have reasonable prices. Since my wife and I have all the gear we would need already, we only need to rent canoes, paddles, life jackets.

4) Any other advice/suggestions?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Maybe I should have posted this in the Minnesota forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 07-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

There are no grizzly bears there. I lived there for many years. the black bears you can just chase away if you would happen to see one. I can not help with an outfitter but many places rent canoes.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

Liked 1079 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 1684

I'm not sure about the Bears...but if you hear Banjo music, paddle faster....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Check out the Rainy River. It runs between the US and Canada. Baudette is a military friendly community.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I envy you. Too crippled up to do it now. Take plenty of pictures. Have a great time.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
I envy you. Too crippled up to do it now. Take plenty of pictures. Have a great time.
I plan on it and I will post them in one of these picture forums. Here's to hoping my command gives me the leave I will be requesting and them not getting upset and denying it on grounds of "being too dangerous"! I can bet that they are going to want to see a few Operational Risk Management sheets before I go.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:30 AM   #8

Liked 45 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm not a lawyer! From the way the open carry was explained to me by several different friends(cops, so they woukd be the enforecement here lol) 100% open with out a CCW even a shirt that slightly covers it is a huge no no.

Ive not been up there in a while, have several friends who have used different outfits, dont think anyone has complained other then the wives about wilderness and hiking.... good thing your wife likes that stuff, maube she was mad her husband did for her birthday gift.....

My exs brother goes yearly i think he said theyve seen bears once, just keep the food up.

Also, some of the areas do allow for motors but very limited horse power,i think he said 10hp?

Heading that far north id suggest making a pit stop to itaska state park, its the mississippi head waters.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpubba View Post
I'm not a lawyer! From the way the open carry was explained to me by several different friends(cops, so they woukd be the enforecement here lol) 100% open with out a CCW even a shirt that slightly covers it is a huge no no.

Ive not been up there in a while, have several friends who have used different outfits, dont think anyone has complained other then the wives about wilderness and hiking.... good thing your wife likes that stuff, maube she was mad her husband did for her birthday gift.....

My exs brother goes yearly i think he said theyve seen bears once, just keep the food up.

Also, some of the areas do allow for motors but very limited horse power,i think he said 10hp?

Heading that far north id suggest making a pit stop to itaska state park, its the mississippi head waters.
Thanks for all the great advice. I need to dig deeper into this. I could conceal but the practicality of that is not too great.

As far as the wife thing goes, that's funny. The only thing my wife might complain about is being a little sore and tired from the work and mosquitoes. Therefore I plan to bring plenty of DEET spray and a few mosquito head nets. My wife is a photographer and so I think she will love the scenery. I will probably have to constantly remind her to keep paddling and stop taking pictures. Better pick up a few more memory cards too.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #10

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
bring plenty of DEET spray
While this is an excellent idea in some areas you can not have aerosol cans.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.