Pitbull vs shelty/collie mix.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pitbull vs shelty/collie mix.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default Pitbull vs shelty/collie mix.....

Well I was talking with my next-door neighbors in my side-yard and their 14 year old son was walking-out their backdoor and their pit-bull ran past him and strait over to my yard and started attacking my shelty...Grabbed him by the neck and started shaking and would not let go...I was hitting and kicking their dog and it would just shake and try to spin not letting go...I even stepped on his neck barefooted and heard-it crack but the motherf##ker was not letting go and I was scared it may bit my foot...I said I was running in-side to get my gun and the neighbor lady told me to get the water-hose...and the only reasion I did was it was right there....That broke them-up...He has two teeth-holes in his neck but I think he will be ok...I'll watch to see if I have to take him to the vet...They said they would pay for it...I told them next-time I will not get the hose but get my gun and I don't want hard-feeling over-it...They agreed with me and said this isn't the first time the dog got a nother dog...Now I have to keep a gun at the front-door and the backdoor every time I let my dog out in the yard...They said their dog has broken the collar before to....This...SUCKS...This just happened a hour ago and my heart is still beating fast.....Have to go and cut the hair around his neck and check it out better...Thanks for listening........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #2

Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Well I was talking with my next-door neighbors in my side-yard and their 14 year old son was walking-out their backdoor and their pit-bull ran past him and strait over to my yard and started attacking my shelty...Grabbed him by the neck and started shaking and would not let go...I was hitting and kicking their dog and it would just shake and try to spin not letting go...I even stepped on his neck barefooted and heard-it crack but the motherf##ker was not letting go and I was scared it may bit my foot...I said I was running in-side to get my gun and the neighbor lady told me to get the water-hose...and the only reasion I did was it was right there....That broke them-up...He has two teeth-holes in his neck but I think he will be ok...I'll watch to see if I have to take him to the vet...They said they would pay for it...I told them next-time I will not get the hose but get my gun and I don't want hard-feeling over-it...They agreed with me and said this isn't the first time the dog got a nother dog...Now I have to keep a gun at the front-door and the backdoor every time I let my dog out in the yard...They said their dog has broken the collar before to....This...SUCKS...This just happened a hour ago and my heart is still beating fast.....Have to go and cut the hair around his neck and check it out better...Thanks for listening........
Wow what irresponsible neighbors. They better be on their toes and let them know you mean business. I hope your dog is ok, do some basic first aid and keep the infection chance low, pets get infections faster than humans and sometimes they are hard to detect. Good luck and a call to animal control may also be needed if permitted in your area.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #3

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Longhair sorry to hear about your dog and irresponsible neighbors,if they're going to have an animal like that they really need a fence and a stronger collar to control their dog. If you have animal control in your area I would call and make a report,if you don't have animal control I would call the sheriffs dept. That way if the problem happens again and you do have to shoot the neighbors dog,you will have a earlier report to back up your actions.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #4

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Longhair sorry to hear about your dog and irresponsible neighbors,if they're going to have an animal like that they really need a fence and a stronger collar to control their dog. If you have animal control in your area I would call and make a report,if you don't have animal control I would call the sheriffs dept. That way if the problem happens again and you do have to shoot the neighbors dog,you will have a earlier report to back up your actions.
x2. Not to be a jerk but what happens if your dog gets sick or has other injuries? Are they going to pay for it then when the bill is big $$? With an attack like that I would 10000000000000% take him in to be checked out and if you want to not cause drama with the neighbors, the vet will report it. Puncture woulds that don't bleed are VERY serious because they can be bleeding where you can't see it!! My parents had a border collie mix and a Rott/Pit mix. The dogs hated each other. the littler one got shredded many times but made it to 18 because my mom always took him after a fight.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #5

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I shaved his neck and cleaned the holes with water and a rag...Then I put Triple Antibiotic Ointment on his neck...I'll watch it close and see how it looks in the morning.....I told them this will happen again,just a matter of time,so their dog is ...WALKING-DEAD....as of now....They only lived there for a month and this happened so I know this is just a matter of time.....

Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #6

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Hope your dog heals well,there's nothing worse then seeing your buddy get attacked

Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #7

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Like said I'd visit the vet, and report to animal control.. Dogs are territorial and will attack each other seemingly unprovoked, even 'good dogs' its just nature, how things work.. This danger can be enhanced by neglect or abuse(not saying your neighbor mid treats).
I took my brothers half pit half Doberman because he and his male boxer hated each other, neither dog ever acted aggressive toward anyone or anything ever again(both lived well into their teens).
Moral is get this documented, because they clearly already know their dog is prone to this behavior and are not dealing with it correctly or willing to.. If you don't get this documented you run the risk of being the villain if it comes to you having to put their dog down. Depending where you live you may also face charges for using a gun to do so.. Prepare yourself, cover your bases, all of them

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7816 Times on 4691 Posts
Likes Given: 9843

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
x2. Not to be a jerk but what happens if your dog gets sick or has other injuries? Are they going to pay for it then when the bill is big $$? With an attack like that I would 10000000000000% take him in to be checked out and if you want to not cause drama with the neighbors, the vet will report it. Puncture woulds that don't bleed are VERY serious because they can be bleeding where you can't see it!! My parents had a border collie mix and a Rott/Pit mix. The dogs hated each other. the littler one got shredded many times but made it to 18 because my mom always took him after a fight.
I agree. If they'll pay for the vet bills, you don't lose anything by taking your dog to the vet. DON'T wait and see. By the time you "see" anything, those bite punctures can be severely infected. Take your dog to the vet in the morning.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm sorry about your dog. That's terrible. Lucky you were there. I agree 100% with everything that has been said so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Like said I'd visit the vet, and report to animal control.. Dogs are territorial and will attack each other seemingly unprovoked, even 'good dogs' its just nature, how things work.. This danger can be enhanced by neglect or abuse
I agree, but I'd like to add if dogs are properly socialized, that territorial behavior can be suppressed. Maybe even done away with entirely. We take ours to the local dog park often, and they never ever do that crap.

This behavior is usually, in my opinion, a sign of neglect or abuse by an owner. Either current owner or past. It's not always the case, but my opinion is that it's usually the case.

Unfortunately certain breeds get a bad rep. Pit bulls are the best example. If raised properly, they are wonderful dogs. However, they have a bad reputation because people so often use the for dog fights because of their physical power.

I'm sure your bud will be ok. Just do what needs to be done, be it the vet or not. Best of luck.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
I'm sorry about your dog. That's terrible. Lucky you were there. I agree 100% with everything that has been said so far.

I agree, but I'd like to add if dogs are properly socialized, that territorial behavior can be suppressed. Maybe even done away with entirely. We take ours to the local dog park often, and they never ever do that crap.

This behavior is usually, in my opinion, a sign of neglect or abuse by an owner. Either current owner or past. It's not always the case, but my opinion is that it's usually the case.

Unfortunately certain breeds get a bad rep. Pit bulls are the best example. If raised properly, they are wonderful dogs. However, they have a bad reputation because people so often use the for dog fights because of their physical power.

I'm sure your bud will be ok. Just do what needs to be done, be it the vet or not. Best of luck.
You're correct. Most people don't have or more likely take the time to socialize their dogs. I would personally say the territorial behavior is more from lack of socialization then abuse or neglect.. Then again in some circles lack of socialization is considered neglect.. I only 'split hairs' because most ppl associate physical abuse with neglect and abuse.

Anywho, op definitely take the free vet trip..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.