Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pistol Permit Process

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,307
Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Default

Holy crap NY sucks. In Indiana you walk in to the sheriff's office with a $10 money order, apply and sign a paper. Then the sheriff sends it in to the state which requires a $15 money order and they send you the pink card in about 8 weeks, that's it!

A couple of months before mine expires, I'm gonna apply for a lifetime permit. A four year permit costs $25 total and a lifetime cost $125, It's a no-brainer!

__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RL357Mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albany,New York
Posts: 3,252
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Important legislation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Holly crap, Batman! Unreal, in my book.

Here in Ohio, I walk into gun dealer's store. I choose a gun (handgun or long gun), and fill out the form. Dealer calls in background check. I pay for gun and walk out with gun. I shoot gun on the same day.

.
This is the same process is NY for long guns. Handguns are another story. Every county can make their own laws since NY is not a "Shall Issue" state. If your county of residence has a left-leaning Judge, you're screwed! Now there is legislation being proposed state wide to make permits renewable every 5 years and give the permitting authority, as well as the decison as to WHICH GUNS YOU CAN OWN to the State Police Commissioner - this is when I move the fu#k out of NY...

New York to Consider Numerous Anti-Gun Bills Next Week!
Please Contact Your State Legislators Today!

The following anti-gun measures are awaiting action on the Assembly Floor in preparation for “Anti-Gun” bill day in the Assembly that will take place on Tuesday, April 28. Due to fears that “Anti-Gun” lobby day could be overshadowed by a strong turnout of sportsmen and law-abiding gun owners, it now appears that New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (NYAGV) will hold their lobby day on Tuesday, April 28 and that the Assembly will consider the following bills on that day. We had originally reported that these bills would be considered on Wednesday, April 29.

Assembly Bill 801A, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Amy Paulin (D-8), would directly target law-abiding pistol license holders by requiring that licenses be renewed every five years. In addition, it would mandate that all applicants outside New York City complete training and a test before a license may be issued. Keep in mind that a license is required in New York State simply to possess a handgun and in many cases licensees are only allowed to keep a handgun in their homes or businesses or to travel to and from the range. This would mean that most qualified New Yorkers could be put through training and a test and still be denied the Right-to-Carry a firearm for the purpose of self-defense. If enacted, gun owners can expect that a process that is already unfair in most parts of the state will become more so. Its companion bill is Senate Bill 1598, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 1093, also sponsored by Assemblywoman Paulin, would impose new requirements on federally licensed firearm retailers and require that they obtain insurance to cover criminal acts committed after the legal sale of a firearm. The companion bill to AB1093 is Senate Bill 1715, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 1326, introduced by Assemblyman Steve Englebright (D-4), would mandate handguns be equipped with technology which would prevent them from being operated by children. Such firearms would have to include traits that would make it impossible for “an average five year old” to use the gun. For example, guns would have to have a ten-pound trigger pull, altered firing mechanism, or “require a series of multiple motions in order to fire the pistol or revolver.”

Assembly Bill 2881, sponsored by State Assemblyman David Koon (D-135), would ban the possession and use of "frangible" ammunition. The companion bill for AB2881 is Senate Bill 2379, sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan (R-11).

Assembly Bill 2882, also sponsored by Assemblyman Koon, requires that any expended projectiles, shell casings, or guns that comes into the possession of law enforcement be submitted to the state police pistol for testing and entry into an electronic ballistic database.

Assembly Bill 3211A, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington (D-3), would prohibit the sale use or possession of .50-caliber firearms.

Assembly Bills 5696A, sponsored by State Assemblyman Brian Kavanagh (D-74), requires employees of dealers in firearms and gunsmiths to submit to a criminal background check. The companion bill for A5696A is Senate Bill 4456, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 5844, authored by State Assemblyman Harvey Weisenberg (D-20), would enact the "children's weapon accident prevention act" and create crimes of failure to store a weapon safely and negligent storage. The companion bill for A5844 is Senate Bill 3098, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 6157, sponsored by State Assemblyman Matthew Titone (D-61), relates to banning the possession, sale or manufacture of “assault weapons.”

Assembly Bill 6468, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel (D-16), requires semiautomatic pistols manufactured or delivered to any licensed dealer in this state to be capable of micro-stamping ammunition. The companion bill for A6468 is Senate Bill 4397, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

It is critical that you contact your lawmakers TODAY and respectfully urge them to OPPOSE these measures! State Assembly Members can be reached by phone at (518) 455-4100. To find your Assembly Member, please click here. Your State Senator can be contacted through the Senate switchboard at (518) 455-2800. To find your State Senator, please click here.
__________________
Guns Have Only Two Enemies-Rust and Politicians
"The United States Constitution (c) 1791 - All Rights Reserved"
If Guns Kill, Do Pencils Mis-spell Words?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-01-2009 at 12:14 PM.
RL357Mag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dynastyofnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Holly crap, Batman! Unreal, in my book.

Here in Ohio, I walk into gun dealer's store. I choose a gun (handgun or long gun), and fill out the form. Dealer calls in background check. I pay for gun and walk out with gun. I shoot gun on the same day.

It sounds like they wanna make the process so involved, that they think they can deter many potential gun buyers.

Is this for handgun only, or for long guns as well? I know that NY State has many hunters, and there is signifigant income to the state from hunters.
handguns you have to do this, long guns I am confused about because they gave me an application to fill out......but the state site says you need no permit to buy or own......but theyre making me apply for a permit.....but I dont need it?
__________________
dynastyofnext is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dynastyofnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
This is the same process is NY for long guns. Handguns are another story. Every county can make their own laws since NY is not a "Shall Issue" state. If your county of residence has a left-leaning Judge, you're screwed! Now there is legislation being proposed state wide to make permits renewable every 5 years and give the permitting authority, as well as the decison as to WHICH GUNS YOU CAN OWN to the State Police Commissioner - this is when I move the fu#k out of NY...

New York to Consider Numerous Anti-Gun Bills Next Week!
Please Contact Your State Legislators Today!

The following anti-gun measures are awaiting action on the Assembly Floor in preparation for “Anti-Gun” bill day in the Assembly that will take place on Tuesday, April 28. Due to fears that “Anti-Gun” lobby day could be overshadowed by a strong turnout of sportsmen and law-abiding gun owners, it now appears that New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (NYAGV) will hold their lobby day on Tuesday, April 28 and that the Assembly will consider the following bills on that day. We had originally reported that these bills would be considered on Wednesday, April 29.

Assembly Bill 801A, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Amy Paulin (D-8), would directly target law-abiding pistol license holders by requiring that licenses be renewed every five years. In addition, it would mandate that all applicants outside New York City complete training and a test before a license may be issued. Keep in mind that a license is required in New York State simply to possess a handgun and in many cases licensees are only allowed to keep a handgun in their homes or businesses or to travel to and from the range. This would mean that most qualified New Yorkers could be put through training and a test and still be denied the Right-to-Carry a firearm for the purpose of self-defense. If enacted, gun owners can expect that a process that is already unfair in most parts of the state will become more so. Its companion bill is Senate Bill 1598, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 1093, also sponsored by Assemblywoman Paulin, would impose new requirements on federally licensed firearm retailers and require that they obtain insurance to cover criminal acts committed after the legal sale of a firearm. The companion bill to AB1093 is Senate Bill 1715, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 1326, introduced by Assemblyman Steve Englebright (D-4), would mandate handguns be equipped with technology which would prevent them from being operated by children. Such firearms would have to include traits that would make it impossible for “an average five year old” to use the gun. For example, guns would have to have a ten-pound trigger pull, altered firing mechanism, or “require a series of multiple motions in order to fire the pistol or revolver.”

Assembly Bill 2881, sponsored by State Assemblyman David Koon (D-135), would ban the possession and use of "frangible" ammunition. The companion bill for AB2881 is Senate Bill 2379, sponsored by State Senator Frank Padavan (R-11).

Assembly Bill 2882, also sponsored by Assemblyman Koon, requires that any expended projectiles, shell casings, or guns that comes into the possession of law enforcement be submitted to the state police pistol for testing and entry into an electronic ballistic database.

Assembly Bill 3211A, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington (D-3), would prohibit the sale use or possession of .50-caliber firearms.

Assembly Bills 5696A, sponsored by State Assemblyman Brian Kavanagh (D-74), requires employees of dealers in firearms and gunsmiths to submit to a criminal background check. The companion bill for A5696A is Senate Bill 4456, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 5844, authored by State Assemblyman Harvey Weisenberg (D-20), would enact the "children's weapon accident prevention act" and create crimes of failure to store a weapon safely and negligent storage. The companion bill for A5844 is Senate Bill 3098, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

Assembly Bill 6157, sponsored by State Assemblyman Matthew Titone (D-61), relates to banning the possession, sale or manufacture of “assault weapons.”

Assembly Bill 6468, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel (D-16), requires semiautomatic pistols manufactured or delivered to any licensed dealer in this state to be capable of micro-stamping ammunition. The companion bill for A6468 is Senate Bill 4397, sponsored by State Senator Eric Schneiderman (D-31).

It is critical that you contact your lawmakers TODAY and respectfully urge them to OPPOSE these measures! State Assembly Members can be reached by phone at (518) 455-4100. To find your Assembly Member, please click here. Your State Senator can be contacted through the Senate switchboard at (518) 455-2800. To find your State Senator, please click here.
looks like your the man to see about any law questions relating to guns
__________________
dynastyofnext is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Default

Aside from some very knowledgeable members here you should join the NRA and GOA. They will keep you up to speed with current laws and pending legislation. Not to mention that they are the 2 best equipped organizations to fight for your rights against the government. The more support they receive the better it is for all of us.

__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

dog2000tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:05 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dynastyofnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Aside from some very knowledgeable members here you should join the NRA and GOA. They will keep you up to speed with current laws and pending legislation. Not to mention that they are the 2 best equipped organizations to fight for your rights against the government. The more support they receive the better it is for all of us.
thanks for the info, I need to start reading up on my rights.
__________________
Every day above ground is a beautiful day.
dynastyofnext is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
New Jersey Pistol Permit reign99 Politics, Religion and Controversy 1 02-18-2009 11:16 AM
Mom sues sheriff over pistol permit revocation Musket Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 11-26-2008 10:33 AM
C&R and a state pistol permit pteradaktil Curio & Relic Discussion 3 10-12-2008 11:46 AM
Process for obtaining a handgun- Suffolk, NY Vertiviper General Handgun Discussion 3 09-15-2008 12:41 AM