Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Pistol Permit Process (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/pistol-permit-process-13379/)

dynastyofnext 04-30-2009 04:12 AM

Pistol Permit Process

I live in NY but im part of westchester county and they have theyre own Permit process. I think its a bit ridiculous the amount of stuff they make you do. 1st i need 4 references to go on paper saying that im not crazy, ill tempered, they have to of known me for a long time, and they must reside within westchester county. 2nd! all 4 papers they want notarized, so I have to take everyone one of those 4 to a notary and do that. I need to get firearm safety training(which isnt bad im for it), but then I have to buy the gun before im even issued the permit.........oh and if they decide not to give me the permit Im out some money and Im out a gun. Now all that being said has anyone gone through this process like this? or something similar? anyone from westchester gotten the permit and care to help me out?

dog2000tj 04-30-2009 01:01 PM

I just looked into getting a pistol this past fall in Rockland, NY. As you stated, they require 3 people of reference, submit fingerprints to the Sheriff's office, wait 10 months and then I may or may not get a permit.

It wasn't worth it so I'll just wait until I move to VT later this year.

Good luck :)

RL357Mag 04-30-2009 01:22 PM

When I got my CCW in Dutchess Co. in 93', I had to provide 3 or 4 notarized referrences, submit to finger printing for FBI check, and pay $50 application fee. I got my permit in 3 months and it's a full carry permit, which these days is very difficult to get, even in Dutchess Co, and especially in Westchester and Putnam. My brother lives in Westchester and told them where they could stick it. He called an NRA Lawyer due to the ridiculous requirements which border on invasion of privacy, and was told that he would need to get a Lawyer with Supreme Court privileges since any case would be heard in the Supreme Court in White Plains. He gave up!

greenr19 04-30-2009 01:55 PM

I got my ccw for Cortland county in New York last fall. The process you are going through seems familiar. I'm not sure if it is the same down there, but when I talked to the police investigator about it he says as long as you don't have a criminal background and your references say they would trust you with a gun you will get the permit. As far as the training up here we have up to one year from the time we get the permit to complete the training. If you served in the Military you are exempt from the training. I'm pretty sure you can't legally buy a handgun without a permit. I am assuming you got that from the bottom of the paper where it asks you to write down the make model and serial numbers or your guns. That is if you already have handguns that you would like to claim if you get your permit. For example I bought two handguns while I was in New Mexico and wrote them at the bottom so they would be put on when I received my permit. Also when my wife got her permit she put my guns on the bottom so they would be included on her permit. When you get your permit and you want to buy your first gun, and every gun thereafter, you pay 3 dollars and they give you a coupon with all of your information. You then take it to the FFL dealer where you are buying your gun. They take your coupon and you return to the pistol permit clerk with your receipt for the gun and they add the gun to your permit. As for the application process. I had to make an appointment at the jail to get my fingerprints, and meet all 4 references so they could sign the permit. Other than that I just went to Eckerdís and got my passport picture. Then I stopped my the post office and got a money order. Up here this pistol permit clerk is in the court house so I got it notarized right in her office. It seems like a long process, but it really only took me a weekend and then I dropped it off on Monday. Also I'm not sure if it is state wide or just up here, but the investigations used to be done by the county sheriff's. Last summer they switched it to the State Police. It only took me about 6 weeks. I handed my permit application in on 28 Aug and had my permit in hand on 15 Oct.

dynastyofnext 04-30-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenr19 (Post 100552)
I got my ccw for Cortland county in New York last fall. The process you are going through seems familiar. I'm not sure if it is the same down there, but when I talked to the police investigator about it he says as long as you don't have a criminal background and your references say they would trust you with a gun you will get the permit. As far as the training up here we have up to one year from the time we get the permit to complete the training. If you served in the Military you are exempt from the training. I'm pretty sure you can't legally buy a handgun without a permit. I am assuming you got that from the bottom of the paper where it asks you to write down the make model and serial numbers or your guns. That is if you already have handguns that you would like to claim if you get your permit. For example I bought two handguns while I was in New Mexico and wrote them at the bottom so they would be put on when I received my permit. Also when my wife got her permit she put my guns on the bottom so they would be included on her permit. When you get your permit and you want to buy your first gun, and every gun thereafter, you pay 3 dollars and they give you a coupon with all of your information. You then take it to the FFL dealer where you are buying your gun. They take your coupon and you return to the pistol permit clerk with your receipt for the gun and they add the gun to your permit. As for the application process. I had to make an appointment at the jail to get my fingerprints, and meet all 4 references so they could sign the permit. Other than that I just went to Eckerdís and got my passport picture. Then I stopped my the post office and got a money order. Up here this pistol permit clerk is in the court house so I got it notarized right in her office. It seems like a long process, but it really only took me a weekend and then I dropped it off on Monday. Also I'm not sure if it is state wide or just up here, but the investigations used to be done by the county sheriff's. Last summer they switched it to the State Police. It only took me about 6 weeks. I handed my permit application in on 28 Aug and had my permit in hand on 15 Oct.

Boy the things we have to go through in NY, and the 2nd amendment still isnt gauranteed to us. I guess since I really want the permit I have no choice but to jump through the governments hoops to get my restricted gun permit. Hopefully in 6 months I get it or maybe less.

skullcrusher 04-30-2009 09:34 PM

Holly crap, Batman! Unreal, in my book.

Here in Ohio, I walk into gun dealer's store. I choose a gun (handgun or long gun), and fill out the form. Dealer calls in background check. I pay for gun and walk out with gun. I shoot gun on the same day.

It sounds like they wanna make the process so involved, that they think they can deter many potential gun buyers.

Is this for handgun only, or for long guns as well? I know that NY State has many hunters, and there is signifigant income to the state from hunters.

dog2000tj 04-30-2009 09:46 PM

I believe that is exactly the idea behind the process. To make it so involved tha most will will not go through it. Plus, after reviewing the application a permit is not guaranteed. The rifle purchase where I live was easy. Buy rifle, submit info for background check, pay FTF fee. Although is some areas of NY, AR style rifles are banned.

skullcrusher 04-30-2009 11:42 PM

Really, the only thing that is not allowed in Ohio is mags over 30 rds cap. It is not illegal to own mags over 30 rds cap, they are not allowed to be shipped from other states. I can river walk and buy a mag of larger than 30 rds and bring it home. I can not buy a 30+ round mag from say Cabela's or Sportsmansguide and have it shipped to me. That's 'bout as harsh as it gets.

Well, maybe not. Any retail establishment (incl restaurants and convience marts) can post a 'no firearm' sign. This means that one may not carry their piece into the place. Plus, when travelling with carry, there are some silly rules there. Still, not as absurd as NY. NJ, CA, MA...any others? :cool:

flyingbrickracing 05-01-2009 01:47 AM

Schenectady Co. sounds the same as Cortland Co.I have to Get the forms at the Co. Clerks office Get 4 ref.(they stongly suggest 1 be your spouse if you are married)finger prints and background ,safety course then you wait,I'm going for mine as soon as I decide what I want........

AcidFlashGordon 05-01-2009 03:33 AM

Holy Mother! After reading about all the "hoops" you folks have to jump though just to maybe get to buy a gun, I'm glad I live in Nevada. About the only thing we have to put up with is the "blue card" (some of us call it the Nazi blue card) that's required for handguns in Clark County (Las Vegas and its surroundings). But once you've bought one handgun and have the card, the next purchases are a breeze. No 3-day waiting period (handguns only). Just the phone in background check and out the door you go. No waiting period for long guns and no restrictions of magazine sizes or type of weapon. ARs and AKs are perfectly legal here. I've got about a dozen 30-round mags for both my AR-15 and my AK-47.
I feel for you NY folks and can't help think that something might be done for your situation. One would have thought with the Heller vs DC Supreme Court decision, things would have eased up. But I guess the gun-grabbers will always try to find ways around the Second Amendment and push that to the limit......