Pissed with Radio Shack - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pissed with Radio Shack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
Radio Shack or Rat Shack as I used to call it was once a great place to get electronic Parts and even some descent fully made devices. They sold their souls and are now a junk store of very little usage to those of us that once loved them. You can buy 30 different junk toys but cant get a 9 volt regulator, they sell computers but not resistors
Very true, there once was a time that radio shack was THE place to get electronic items, and probably for most of us the only electronic supply item business in town. Bought my first solder gun there, my first multiband radio, etc etc. It's just sad now to go into these places, you can't even get 2 feet in the joint before someone is trying to sell you a cell phone. Ultimately, what is most sad is RadioShack is a dinosaur, and with the Internet revolution they just never have found a way to re-invent themselves

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 671 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
http://www.mcmelectronics.com

If you can wait 2 business days, you can get most of what you might need here, they are an offshoot of Newark Electronics but you dont need to be a dealer and they dont publish a 5000 page catalog that you are forced to help pay for. Ive been buying from MCM for about 25 years and they get it right most of the time for the right price. I bet those rechargeable batteries are in there as well. Probably about the same price as Amazon but I hate searching and for General Electronics, these guys cant be beat.
MCM is my go-to source. It's in my hands three days max with UPS. Radio Shack has been my #1 absolutely despised store for 30 years or more. Not only do they sell expensive junk but you have to put up with the most arrogant, pushy, ignorant sales clerks ever.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2824 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
We have a Radio Shack land line phone with a digital answering machine and one satellite phone. We bought it in the beginning of 2005. Well, I set it/them up a few days ago when I finally found them while unpacking. One of them has a dead battery and so it won't charge.
I figure no problem, I'll go to Radio Shack and pick a couple up so I have a spare. I went there yesterday while we were in town and they don't carry the batteries any more. I don't mean they didn't have any in the store, I mean they just don't carry them. The clerk tried to sell me a new phone, but I passed.
So, Radio Shack promotes planned obsolescence. So much for environmental consciousness, recycling and all that other greenie ecological stuff. They just want to sell new products.
Nothing is wrong with the phones, they work fine, one just needs a battery and here's the kicker: I just bought the batteries on Amazon for $11.99 for two with free shipping!
I will no longer patronize Radio Shack.
Not surprising. If you actually find what you need at Radio Shack, you will very likely pay too much for it. Kind of odd too, I thought that most cordless phones used fairly common batteries.
IMHO, Radio Shack's only real use is supplying oddball batteries & components that you need today and for which you're willing to pay a large premium for that bit of convenience. If they can't do that any more, they might as well pull up stakes & head out.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10688

Not too long ago on a HAM radio forum Radio Shack was reaching out to all of the HAMs asking how they could improve their stores. Seriously? Ask a bunch of amateur radio nuts how to improve a store that was freaking founded by and for amateur radio nuts? Without exception everybody was screaming at them to go back to their base and start carrying amateur radio stuff and do the cell phone thing as a sideline. Many even said they would be interested in working there if they moved in that direction (me included). Apparently nothing came of it. Nothing changed.

On the other hand there is a huge electronics store that was first opened in the '80's and has become a serious electronics powerhouse in the western US, Frys Electronics is like a Bass Pro or Cabella's for electronics. It is freaking enormous. But they don't carry HAM radio stuff. There is one caveat though, they employ something like 80% immigrants who don't freaking speak English very well.

frys.com

Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

LOL @ Radio Crap! They do suck. I gave up on them years ago - they really dont have ANYTHING anyone needs. I buy all my stuff online these days for much better prices.

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I recently got a new HD TV from the company I work for as a gift for a 40 year anniversry. Nice 43" TV, but it had no cable with it for hook up to the HD box.

So I went three miles to the nearest Radio Shack to buy one. simple transaction you might think. However, since I had no bleeping interest in a new cell phone and contract the clerk had no interest in telling me where the cable was. Since I had no interest in walking the store to find it, I left and went to Wal Mart.

It was another six miles, but at least the cable was easily located, and since I could also pick up some 9 mm ammo, it was a good trip.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

As a kid, I could wander in Rat Shack for an hour and not get bored, not bad for a tiny store. Got my 1st 101 projects kit from them and that likely set me on the path to the career I have had for 28 years. They suck so bad now, Ive got more raw electronics parts in my junk room than they do in their whole store.

Truth is, were probably as much to blame as they are for not inspiring new Bells and Edisons to be fostered in this country. Some how my mom saw past the inherent dangers of her 9 Year old son ripping apart and playing with old tube sets and such and I learned so much from trial and error that I never would have had I waited for formal training. By the time I was 12, I was learning stuff that was being taught at a Freshman College Electronic Service Tech program (yes, I did have my share of oops, ouchies and there goes another fuse in the basement but they were well worth it)!

Saddest part about the whole deal is the loss of knowledge and interest has left us in the USA high and dry as innovators and over burden with mindless consumers that cant even set the clock on their stove without a Bluetooth auto update function. Some of this has come from our schools, instead of teaching how the keyboard works, the learn us to type on it quicker, cant teach technicals as general studies anymore but we can universally require Sex Education, we will spend lots of money to teach them to play Baseball, Soccer and Golf (Which stats show will not be a possible career for 99%) and dont teach them how to fix their toilet, change a light fixture or a leaky faucet, (something nearly everyone will be confronted by).

Our kids have more gizmos in their pockets than their Grandparents had in their homes yet few know anything about them except how to update them with someone elses software or toss them out cause they are broken. No more kids hanging out in TV repair shops, no more TV Repair shops to even hang out in...

Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

WF, I agree. When I was a kid I remember the TV repair man coming to the house to fix our TV. Now, when a TV breaks, we just buy a new one. When my kids were little, I'd always give them the odd radio/toaster/hairdryer that doesn't work anymore and let them take it apart. Sometimes they could get it working again, sometimes not.

As for Radio Schack, I don't like their products but years ago I bought a Panasonic landline/cordless phone from some electronics store. I would guess the phone is at least 10 years old now. The battery was not charging right anymore and I missed my land phone. I took the battery out of it to take to WalMart to compare and buy a new one. I couldn't find the right battery for my phone but Radio Schack had it. But I won't go back in there again until I need another item that I can't find anywhere else.