Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pissed with Radio Shack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Pissed with Radio Shack

We have a Radio Shack land line phone with a digital answering machine and one satellite phone. We bought it in the beginning of 2005. Well, I set it/them up a few days ago when I finally found them while unpacking. One of them has a dead battery and so it won't charge.

I figure no problem, I'll go to Radio Shack and pick a couple up so I have a spare. I went there yesterday while we were in town and they don't carry the batteries any more. I don't mean they didn't have any in the store, I mean they just don't carry them. The clerk tried to sell me a new phone, but I passed.

So, Radio Shack promotes planned obsolescence. So much for environmental consciousness, recycling and all that other greenie ecological stuff. They just want to sell new products.

Nothing is wrong with the phones, they work fine, one just needs a battery and here's the kicker: I just bought the batteries on Amazon for $11.99 for two with free shipping!

I will no longer patronize Radio Shack.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #2

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Never been a big radio shack fan. I've never had a really bad experience, just disorganized stores and high prices have driven me away.

-Matt

CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7659 Times on 4419 Posts
Likes Given: 9868

Radio Shack sucks IMO. Occasionally i will go in there when I need something I figure they might have, but they almost never have it. The ironic part is that I go in there for radio stuff!!! WTF Radio Shack?

Glad you found the batteries. I use Batteries Plus, there is a store nearby and they also have good prices on their website.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm suprised they are still in business, there are plenty of stores with more selection and a better price

Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #5

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

Yeah, the prices suck. Most of it is Chinese crap anyway. Why mark it down to 600% profit when you can sell it for 900%?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Radio Shack is not the only one that does that.
Automobiles are a good example.

Nowadays, government military contracts are calling for COTS equipment (Commercial Off The Shelf). When you are talking COTS and computers, you have about a 6 month life. Then it's off to ebay.com to get parts (which is banned for viewing by the military).

Catch-22 is still in the military.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5492 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5824

Radio Shack or Rat Shack as I used to call it was once a great place to get electronic Parts and even some descent fully made devices. They sold their souls and are now a junk store of very little usage to those of us that once loved them. You can buy 30 different junk toys but cant get a 9 volt regulator, they sell computers but not resistors and the products they do sell arent any better than anything you could buy at a electronics dollar store.

I used to be a huge fan of local business above anything but now find that concept to be obsolete.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

I buy small pilot lights there when i am building custom electrical equipment, thats about it.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5492 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5824

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I buy small pilot lights there when i am building custom electrical equipment, thats about it.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com

If you can wait 2 business days, you can get most of what you might need here, they are an offshoot of Newark Electronics but you dont need to be a dealer and they dont publish a 5000 page catalog that you are forced to help pay for. Ive been buying from MCM for about 25 years and they get it right most of the time for the right price. I bet those rechargeable batteries are in there as well. Probably about the same price as Amazon but I hate searching and for General Electronics, these guys cant be beat.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

I used to buy speaker components from mcm. They always had the best prices.

Feral cat waterboarder