Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Piracy Explained (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/piracy-explained-8606/)

sculker 11-21-2008 08:10 AM

Piracy Explained

:mad:

Piracy Explained
Posted by Lew Rockwell at November 20, 2008 07:50 AM

Writes Felix Moreno:

The piracy case in Somalia is a perfect example of victim disarmament at sea. Most merchant ships are forbidden by their countries' laws from having weapons on board (a ban which is enforced by rigorous inspections), which leaves a 20.000tn ship worth hundreds of million of dollars vulnerable to a pirate dinghy with a crew of five armed with AKs and RPGs worth a few hundred bucks. So do we allow owners to spend a few thousand dollars on weapons and private security on board? God forbid! No, much better to send a carrier group, or just nuke the high seas.

At present the war navies of India, Russia, Britain, the US, Malasya and a NATO taskforce are in the Gulf of Aden playing cat-and-mouse with a few Somali pirates. An EU fleet is on its way.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/024088.html

ScottG 11-21-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculker (Post 51745)
An EU fleet is on its way.

So what are they going to do, make the pirates laugh themselves to death???? :p

cpttango30 11-21-2008 07:39 PM

hey will all run out of ammo shooting at the blue shoot me helmet covers of the UN.

dragunovsks 11-21-2008 08:24 PM

I agree with you sculker, I think it's total b.s. that a merchant ship isn't allowed to have guns to defend themselves onboard. After all didn't they put navy gun crews with small naval guns on merchant ships in WWII. I was baffeled when I saw the news because of the small size of the boats that are doing this. If I was behind the wheel of a cargo ship and someone attempted this crap, I would just keep going. I mean even if they get a shot off with an RPG, how much damage would they do.

Dillinger 11-21-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 51822)
I mean even if they get a shot off with an RPG, how much damage would they do.

Have you ever seen what is left of metals like steel, magnesium and aluminum, not to mention body parts, dirt and debris when even one of the early RPG-7 rounds go live?

The early rounds, the small ones, weigh about 5 1/2 pounds - most of which is propellant and explosive.

By comparison - a US M67 hand grenade weighs in at about 1 pound, about half of which is explosive.

In answer to your question, if they hit the side of your ship with one of the small rounds, you will probably have new room to room ventilation, and if it's near the waterline, you will begin to have wet socks.

If they hit you with one of the larger 10 pound warheads, you will probably have several rooms with new sun decks and you will be in a world of hurt.

I opt for arming the boat, or having good insurance, because taking live rounds like that isn't in my best interest - that's for sure. ;)

SGT-MILLER 11-21-2008 09:20 PM

You only hope would be if they are only using anti-personnel RPG rounds. If they are using the standard anti-armor rounds, the boat will quickly turn from a floating boat into a sinking hunk of useless steel.

dragunovsks 11-21-2008 09:27 PM

Well, what I meant is if they board you, they'll probably kill you anyways. If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna take as many of them with me as I can. Run em down!!

In the case of a container ship, I can't see one guy with an RPG doing enough damage to sink it, unless he hits at the water line. He might blow a hole or two in it.

Dillinger 11-21-2008 09:36 PM

^ Agreed. But, you, as a forward thinking individual living in the good old US of A - are smart enough, and have the options open, of NOT taking a job to deliver precious goods to a third world hell hole UNARMED.

I don't see many of our fine brothers, and sisters, here on this board taking a job to run goods to Africa on ships with no weapons. I just don't see a long line of our people signing up for that detail.....

dragunovsks 11-21-2008 09:57 PM

+1 Agreed, same reason I didn't sign up to drive trucks in Iraq for KBR.

Dillinger 11-21-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 51839)
+1 Agreed, same reason I didn't sign up to drive trucks in Iraq for KBR.

Proving once again that the American populous may be stupid and easily misled, however the American Gun Owner is both wise AND informed...;)

JD