Pipe smoking - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pipe smoking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2392 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I smoke a pipe that belonged to my grandfather.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I have some briars that are over a hundred years old, that I smoke now and then. For quit awhile I got into collecting trading and selling old pipes. I'd hunt estate sales and yard sales for gems in the rough. Pick em up cheap. Clean them up, sanitize them, polish them. Research what I could find about them and then sell them for a good profit.

A properly cared for briar will last a very: very long time...

If a person wants to start out then go with a Missouri Merscham (cob pipe) your local tobacconist will have a few in stock. Learn to pack them correctly , ignite properly, and smoke them slow. If after a month or so you think a pipe is for you then start looking for a good used briar and learn how to clean them up.

Then buy you a top of the line custom well into your new hobby. They're also kits available to make your own briar pip. They come in a monolith drilled slab that you relief carve a shape into pretty simple with a basic tool set.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #63

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

I passed up about 20 pipes at a flea market last weekend. All of them needed new stems because they were chewed through.

How do you tell a briar from the others?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #64

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm currently toking on a $20 Yello-Bole.

It's heavy. It gets hot. The yellow coating inside the bowl has come away long ago. Occasionally it gets a funky ammonia taste/smell that comes and goes (I think I'm smoking it too hot), and builds up condensation like a mofo.

I hate it. But, It's what I've got at the moment. May pick up a cob on pay day.

My first, and best pipe that I've had (out of 5 total) was made from a 1X2X4 strip of Red Oak. I made it much like the kit that was mentioned. I drilled a hole for the bowl (3/4"), and a hole for the stem. I didn't even measure the stem hole. I went to the local gas station and picked up a cheap 75 cent cob pipe, and pulled the plastic stem from it, and inserted it into mine. Perfect fit, luck of the draw I guess.

It was light weight and compact enough that I could keep it clamped between my teeth for hours on end, gently letting the smoke roll through my mouth. When it was smoked out, I could drop it in my shirt pocket where it could hang out unobtrusively indefinitely. It NEVER got hot. The only issue was that it tasted like burnt wood until I got it good and seasoned. That only took about three days.

I lost it somewhere. It just disappeared into thin air.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
I have some briars that are over a hundred years old, that I smoke now and then. For quit awhile I got into collecting trading and selling old pipes. I'd hunt estate sales and yard sales for gems in the rough. Pick em up cheap. Clean them up, sanitize them, polish them. Research what I could find about them and then sell them for a good profit.

A properly cared for briar will last a very: very long time...

If a person wants to start out then go with a Missouri Merscham (cob pipe) your local tobacconist will have a few in stock. Learn to pack them correctly , ignite properly, and smoke them slow. If after a month or so you think a pipe is for you then start looking for a good used briar and learn how to clean them up.

Then buy you a top of the line custom well into your new hobby. They're also kits available to make your own briar pip. They come in a monolith drilled slab that you relief carve a shape into pretty simple with a basic tool set.
Pictures man, pictures!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Pictures man, pictures!
I'm really not a picture posting type of guy... Well see.....

Become steel or get cut.