Pickup trucks - What's good? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pickup trucks - What's good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post

Haven't you seen those highly customized rigs with the living quarters and horse area rolled into one package? Spend more time driving through KY. You'll see lots of them there. They are a horseman's wet dream for a vehicle.
Seen plenty of them, I run ky every week by the way, bowlingreen load at aw cherry an sons, wat say u

Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2719 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Looking for truck advice.
What do you guys think is a good pickup? I'm thinking a crewcab is good..but so is gas mileage. My thoughts are for a truck that can serve as a sometimes useful house rehab helper and a sometimes trailer hauler - like a boat or RV trailer thing.
Use as a daily driver - not really - if the gas mileage is hateful.
I'd have you look at the F-150 Ecoboost. Decent power with decent mileage.
Used makes sense - keeps the cost. Used also makes sense due to the recent growth in size of pickups. I don't agree with the necessity of huge trucks for normal uses. Ten years ago sizes worked - why not continue with that?
Unless your stepping up to the HD/SD models, the run of the mill 150/1500 series pickup hasn't really grown that much in the last 10 years, aside from perhaps extra cabs being replaced by crew cabs. But then, I think it's been for the better.
Power? I'm not a racer. Don't consider any truck a race car. And consider that most any truck - even a six cylinder can haul adequately.
Power is nice, especially in a pickup. Power is the difference between being able tow 6000lbs or 9000lbs safely & comfortably. I have yet to hear much complaining about too much power. Considering what trucks weigh these days, having 300+ hp is nice. Especially considering there really isn't as much of a mileage penalty for it these days.
Some of the recent trucks had troubles - which would be good to avoid - like Dodge transmissions from approximately 8 years ago.
I have a 2008 Dodge 1500 4wd w/ the hemi. I bought it used in Dec 2009. The only noteworthy problem I've had was the transmission would get confused and clunky and kick out a fault code. The dealer reflashed it a couple times. The third time it did it, I got online and wandered through the Dodge Forums. Turns out that it was an easy fix. Simply put, it turned out to be a clogged filter. I just had them do the 30K fluid/filter change early, reset the fault code and it's been flawless since.

What else is worth avoiding? A solid, reliable machine is a good thing.
My brother in law has had enough of his 05 Super Duty (diesel). Two turbocharger failures later, he's done with them. He's a Ford truck guy too. He ended up buying an older V-10 SD. He tows a lot of heavy stuff, as his business is decorative ironwork (stairways, gates etc.)
Help??
Whatever you buy will demand some sort of compromise.
If you're really worried about mileage, don't buy a full sized truck. Even the best are only a bit less thirsty.
If you really plan on tow/hauling, get enough truck. A half ton will do 90% of what most people need. If your in that last 10%, plan accordingly. If you're eyeballing that fifth wheel toy hauler, you'd best up your game.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #33

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post

Whatever you buy will demand some sort of compromise.
If you're really worried about mileage, don't buy a full sized truck. Even the best are only a bit less thirsty.
If you really plan on tow/hauling, get enough truck. A half ton will do 90% of what most people need. If your in that last 10%, plan accordingly. If you're eyeballing that fifth wheel toy hauler, you'd best up your game.
Yuuuupppppppp