Pickup trucks - What's good? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pickup trucks - What's good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
^^^^^ that.

Bought a 1994 K1500 short bed extended cab Chevy in '99 with 51,000 on
it. Currently has 237,000. Total repair costs (not maintenance costs)
add up to less that 2 payments on a new truck.
Man! That's the way to think!
Congratulations!

My search for something as good will go on ...

Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2015 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 603

I am retired so no commute unless it is to the shooting range or a hiking trail. I do tow a 28' 5th wheel trailer, 10,000 lb gvwr. I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel with a 4.10 axle, gear vendor overdrive installed, very heavy trans cooler along with a few more goodies. Rated to tow 12k in its current configuration. The trans cooler is a critical item or you will have trans problems. Empty on the road at 70mph it gets 22mph. Towing the 5th wheel it averages 12 mpg. The newer Allison 6 speed transmissions are nice but expect to pay a lot more for the newer truck. If I were looking for a used truck I would be looking for a 2002 Dodge 2500 HO diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission. It would have eliminated the gear vendor and would probably have a 3.55 axle since it has a granny low. I passed one up for the automatic so my wife could drive it and I am still kicking myself. Tow rated at 11k. Always leave yourself a 20% margin on your tow rating. 12k means a 10k max. 4x4 will knock 500 lbs off your tow rating. One warning with diesel. Injector pumps are very expensive.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 783

We've had a Honda Ridgeline for 4 years. I had other trucks before this and have to say this is one very well designed light pickup. It will do just about everything you need a pickup to do. It gets great gas mileage. It has impressive storage inside and out. We don't haul anything with it, but it has plenty of power if you need to. It also has a very comfortable ride. We have not had one problem with the truck the time we have owned it, just regular maintenance and tires.

It's kind of like the little brother to the now dead Chevy Avalanche.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #24

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I am retired so no commute unless it is to the shooting range or a hiking trail. I do tow a 28' 5th wheel trailer, 10,000 lb gvwr. I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel with a 4.10 axle, gear vendor overdrive installed, very heavy trans cooler along with a few more goodies. Rated to tow 12k in its current configuration. The trans cooler is a critical item or you will have trans problems. Empty on the road at 70mph it gets 22mph. Towing the 5th wheel it averages 12 mpg. The newer Allison 6 speed transmissions are nice but expect to pay a lot more for the newer truck. If I were looking for a used truck I would be looking for a 2002 Dodge 2500 HO diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission. It would have eliminated the gear vendor and would probably have a 3.55 axle since it has a granny low. I passed one up for the automatic so my wife could drive it and I am still kicking myself. Tow rated at 11k. Always leave yourself a 20% margin on your tow rating. 12k means a 10k max. 4x4 will knock 500 lbs off your tow rating. One warning with diesel. Injector pumps are very expensive.
You are one of the few that have recommended manual transmission. A friend worked through a number of trucks until he ended up with a manual also - but to pull a dual loaded horse trailer over the Rockie mountains. Said the best automatics he could get would stalled out on the inclines. I believe him - he was a mechanic - then turned engineer. And was serious about getting over the Rockies.
This manual recommendation makes sense to me. Torque convertors and autos have limitations - that most people don't encounter due to undemanding loading.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #25

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I can say no bs on the 22 mpg as well, my 3500ram will do that but I have a heavy right foot so im at 17 to 19 average, if I set my cruise im at 23 at 68mph to 72mph

Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #26

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

In my OP rill trucks don't have spark plugs.

My dad got a avalanche In 02 when they first came out. Had a 327 vortec. Soon after he bought a 28' camper. We live in south Alabama so there are not many hills around here. So around town it did fine. We took a trip to taladaga for the race. Once we got into some hills we started to have some problems. That thing sounded like it was about to blow. That's when my dad said "we'll it's time to upgrade"

Now he has a 06 silverado 4x4 2500 dura max. His truck is big. I have seen in this thread someone say it is hard to pull a trailer with a big truck. Why don't you use a drop down hitch? My dads truck has 36" irocks. With a good drop down there are no problems.

Trucks got big when everything elts did. Heavier boats and campers makes a heavier truck a must. Bigger frames, suspension, engine, ext... = bigger truck.

High sides on the bed don't bother me. I guess I'm use to it. Just 2 weeks ago we loaded my dads truck with 15' logs to be used for fire wood.

As far as power. More power dos not always mean you go faster. In this case more power = more pull.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #27

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Plus diesel is not as hard to maintain as you would think. And it is cheaper to maintain than most think. Yea sure it holds 18 quarts of oil. But you only have to change the oil once a year in most cases. And they last longer 200,000 mails is like a brake in period.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1672 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 589

I have a 2010 ford ranger with a 4 cylinder. It has almost as much power as a team of hamsters. Yet, most things I need to move are less than 20 miles away. The truck will pull almost anything I need to move from a cattle trailer to a small 4 x 8 trailer that is great for a variety of tasks. Even though I run a farm I don't need a large truck. All my supplies are delivered by the vendor. If I buy a bunch of livestock there are 4 or 5 people with large trucks/trailers competing for my business before I can get to the office and pay for the cattle. Yet every day I enjoy 27 mpg on the highway. I can pick up a couple hundred pounds of feed or 20 bales of hay to get me through until I get a delivery.

I used to own a Kenworth horse van. The thing cost 100k. It drank fuel. Every time it broke down the bill was close to 2 grand. I love my ford ranger!

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #29

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have a 2010 ford ranger with a 4 cylinder. It has almost as much power as a team of hamsters. Yet, most things I need to move are less than 20 miles away. The truck will pull almost anything I need to move from a cattle trailer to a small 4 x 8 trailer that is great for a variety of tasks. Even though I run a farm I don't need a large truck. All my supplies are delivered by the vendor. If I buy a bunch of livestock there are 4 or 5 people with large trucks/trailers competing for my business before I can get to the office and pay for the cattle. Yet every day I enjoy 27 mpg on the highway. I can pick up a couple hundred pounds of feed or 20 bales of hay to get me through until I get a delivery.

I used to own a Kenworth horse van. The thing cost 100k. It drank fuel. Every time it broke down the bill was close to 2 grand. I love my ford ranger!
I enjoy as good as that in a full size truck well less than 3 mpg dif, an dont feel like a monkey fin a football driving a pint size truck. But to EACH HIS OWN, as far as the kw horse van?? I own an operate a livestock hauling company, I know truck cost as I have 8, 2006 an newer peterbilts with 50x102 merrit gold lines, so whats a horse van???

Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I enjoy as good as that in a full size truck well less than 3 mpg dif, an dont feel like a monkey fin a football driving a pint size truck. But to EACH HIS OWN, as far as the kw horse van?? I own an operate a livestock hauling company, I know truck cost as I have 8, 2006 an newer peterbilts with 50x102 merrit gold lines, so whats a horse van???
Haven't you seen those highly customized rigs with the living quarters and horse area rolled into one package? Spend more time driving through KY. You'll see lots of them there. They are a horseman's wet dream for a vehicle.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA