Pickup trucks - What's good? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pickup trucks - What's good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Comes down to personal preference, Colby. Mine's an '04 GMC Sierra 4x2, short cab, long box. Once you've had a pickup, it's hard to do without one, so if I wound up with a Ford or Ram at some point, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I'd recommend full size, long box, and the most powerful engine you can afford to operate. Most, (not all), of us use our trucks as cars 80-90% of the time. But when you have to use your truck as a truck. the extra room and power will pay for itself. Long boxes don't look as good as short ones, but when you're hauling stuff, it can mean the difference between closing the tailgate and stuff hanging out the back with a red rag tied to it. MHO you understand.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #12

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Colby, I have two trucks, both for different purposes. The one I drive the most is a 03 S-10, it's small, cheap to buy, good on gas, and will haul a 4 wheeler well or pull a small trailer. I use it as a parts truck for my shop (Automotive Repair). I have an 83 Chevy with a strong 350 engine that I use to pull a boat or small camper every now and then. I drive it about once a month just to keep everything moving and only put about 1K miles on in a year as it gets 17MPG on the highway empty.

So with filling a need a bigger truck may be better if you have a daily driver also, I sold a 04 GMC Z71 because it didn't get any kind of mileage and it was too tall to haul a trailer well. It was a nice truck but useless for what I needed.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #13

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross View Post
Colby, I have two trucks, both for different purposes. The one I drive the most is a 03 S-10, it's small, cheap to buy, good on gas, and will haul a 4 wheeler well or pull a small trailer. I use it as a parts truck for my shop (Automotive Repair). I have an 83 Chevy with a strong 350 engine that I use to pull a boat or small camper every now and then. I drive it about once a month just to keep everything moving and only put about 1K miles on in a year as it gets 17MPG on the highway empty.

So with filling a need a bigger truck may be better if you have a daily driver also, I sold a 04 GMC Z71 because it didn't get any kind of mileage and it was too tall to haul a trailer well. It was a nice truck but useless for what I needed.
Does anyone know when the trucks got so big? What years?
Seems like some of them are so tall that it would be tough to throw something with even a little weight (like a piece of firewood)to it over the side into the bed - because the bed walls are so far off the ground. Why is that?

Levelcross --- is this kinda what you meant - too tall to trailer well?
Does this extreme height hinder normal trailering?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #14

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Absolutely Colby, the higher it is off the ground the higher the roll center is and the easier it will be to flip it over, plus the nose will be sticking up in the air with a trailer on it. If you want a bad to the bone towing truck get one that has the ride height of a 70's era pick up, they are lower to the ground but still have room for the suspension to travel, coil springs will also handle a load better than leaf springs. Also a long wheel base will handle a trailer far better than a short wheel base, try to pull a heavy trailer with a CJ Jeep = suicide.

Gear ratios in the rear end will make or brake a good towing truck also, too low it will pull like a monster but get crappy mileage, too high and it will burn the transmission up and not pull worth a flip. Also look for good brakes, preferably 4 wheel disc brakes, drum brakes fade with heat.

I think it started in the mid 90's when everyone wanted a 4 wheel drive commuter truck. They raised the suspension then the bed sides started to get taller.
Part of why they are so tall is the design to make them look bigger and badder, another part of it is the suspension is softer to make it ride better so you have to have more room for travel to keep from bottoming out. Plus they went to bigger tires to help the gas mileage, they just forgot to beef up the transmissions to handle the extra load of the taller tires to get it moving.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 3197

Took my wifes Camry to the dealer today for an oil change. Sitting in the showroom was a spiffy supercharged 500 horsepower Tundra. Sticker price was $65,000.

Think i'll keep my 1994 Toyota four banger:

Lock Right Lockers
Headers and Cat back system
LineX bed liner
Demountable 6,000 pound winch
Tweaked engine control module

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/alsaqr/Truck001.jpg

Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a 2010 crew cab Silverado. Its my everyday driver and has done everything I needed. Before that I had a 2008 frontier. Great truck if your single or dont haul a family around. (I had an extended cab.) But the mileage was the same as my Silverado. Actually I get better with the Silverado. For what you want I would look at a Silverado or Sierra between 2003-2007. In 2007 they made both body styles. If your going to be towing with it at all look for 6.0. They came with the heavier transmissions, usually a towing package with better gears and the 1500 hd trucks could be had with a crew cab and 6' bed. They will likely have 4 wheel disc brakes though I'm not sure about that.
Dan

Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #17

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Looking for truck advice.
What do you guys think is a good pickup? I'm thinking a crewcab is good..but so is gas mileage. My thoughts are for a truck that can serve as a sometimes useful house rehab helper and a sometimes trailer hauler - like a boat or RV trailer thing.
Use as a daily driver - not really - if the gas mileage is hateful.
Used makes sense - keeps the cost. Used also makes sense due to the recent growth in size of pickups. I don't agree with the necessity of huge trucks for normal uses. Ten years ago sizes worked - why not continue with that?
Power? I'm not a racer. Don't consider any truck a race car. And consider that most any truck - even a six cylinder can haul adequately.
Some of the recent trucks had troubles - which would be good to avoid - like Dodge transmissions from approximately 8 years ago. What else is worth avoiding? A solid, reliable machine is a good thing.
Help??
My run around is a 2012 ram 1500 an it gets 24 mpg, dont try to say it dosent I drive it every day nearly I know what it gets, an my heavy use is my 2011 ram 3500 mega cab dually, I pull a 39' montana 5 th wheel an a 35' livestock trailer with it, it gets 17 empty . Both are loaded with everything u could want. Cant go wrong with a ram.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #18

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

My 99 f350 with the 7.3 diesel does everything thing I could every want it to. But to commute I drive a 98 ford ranger with the 4.0 and it only gets about two more mpg

Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #19

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon15man View Post
My 99 f350 with the 7.3 diesel does everything thing I could every want it to. But to commute I drive a 98 ford ranger with the 4.0 and it only gets about two more mpg
The 4.0 v6 has been a good motor for ford but for such a small truck the milage sucks. But you do have the best stroker ferd has made the 7.3 was my fav but I had 369,900 miles on it so got the new dodge 3500, due to the crap 6.0 stroker

Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
It's hard to beat a early 90s GM full size. They last forever, aren't overly large, no expensive EPA garbage to break on it and no matter what breaks, it can be fixed in a weekend for under $500.

Thats exactly why I bought one, mine isn't a work truck, but all above applies.
^^^^^ that.

Bought a 1994 K1500 short bed extended cab Chevy in '99 with 51,000 on
it. Currently has 237,000. Total repair costs (not maintenance costs)
add up to less that 2 payments on a new truck.