Picking a Bow? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Picking a Bow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I can't wait for the pick of Tango with a skewered rodent & large SE grin.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Not all Gander's have good bow guys. They do try to hire and train bow persons, but...same as Wal-Mart gynecologists, I suppose.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #13

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You look through it-it serves as a rear sight the same as a peep or ghostring sight does on a rifle. I'd suggest going to an actual bow shop-unless the Gander Mountain has a real honest to goodness bow expert.
Re: Peep sight....
I have (had) one of those skinny little pieces of rubber tubing attached to my peep that pulls it into alignment when drawn, but the rubber had dried out and broke in half. Can that be eliminated, and if so - how do you ensure the peep keeps it's alignment? Or is it better to just get the tubing replaced every once in awhile?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I don't know if they got an expert their gun experts are a bunch of effing douche bags one almost got punched in the dam face too once. This dude told me that Leupold didn't make a 6.5-20x40mm scope and I pointed it out to him in the case he said that was not a leupold it was a leatherwood because of the L on the side......

I have walked around their bow section but never stopped and looked to hard.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Good advice from stalkingbear.

I would add try to find a mom&pop type bow shop if you can.
They are usually more helpful and knowledgable than your big chain stores IMO. The kid setting up your bow might have just got promoted from the camping department.
I like small shops. Those people live off of repeat business and word of mouth-so jaggoffs usually dont stay in business for long.

Ask their recomendations and test shoot some different models to see what you like the best in your price range. Thats why I chose a hoyt over a matthews last time I bought one. Both were quality bows, hoyt just felt/shot better for me.

If you're not in a hurry, Id wait till after hunting season ends, better deals can usually be had and the shop will be less crowded. The owner/workers will have more time to focus on your needs. It can get crazy in there, especially right before the season opens

The shop I go to you usually end up getting free lessons when you stop in for bow work. Last time I stopped to get my bow tuned the owner of the shop ended up coaching me on form and technique while I shot for about an hour. He completely broke down my draw, anchor, and release giving tips where needed.
Even though I didn't ask for the lesson, it was very helpful and also FREE!

If you like hunting, you'll love bow hunting. Better weather, less pressured game, and fewer people in the woods. .02---Ken

Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #16

I wanted to kind of have an idea in mind that way I can save up for one. Of course tax season is fast approaching us and I should be getting a nice chunk of change back So most will go on credit card I still am slipping some out the side to purchase a new rifle, shotgun or Bow. I really want a bow for some reason. That ought to take ground hog hunting to a whole different level. The nice thing is if I get one I have from June to september to get out to the archery range at least 4 or 5 times a week maybe even more than that. Getting paid and not having to work is effing sweet.

The one place I was going to go and look was a place named B & B Archery B&B Archery Pro Shop

So we will see. I hate shopping in Gander Mtn because they are a bunch of douche bags in there.

Last edited by cpttango30; 10-16-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I can't wait for the pick of Tango with a skewered rodent & large SE grin.
LOL how did you know that in the summer time I would be out after urban hogs with this set up and my Natural Gear SCII Camo and some face paint and a head dress....

Tango has gone native watch the hell out people. This would also open me up to an early season urban hunt on Quantico in the Housing area......

Old 10-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
LOL how did you know that in the summer time I would be out after urban hogs with this set up and my Natural Gear SCII Camo and some face paint and a head dress....

Tango has gone native watch the hell out people. This would also open me up to an early season urban hunt on Quantico in the Housing area......
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/you-re-under-arrest-19059/index2.html#post174634
I see that ending interestingly.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #19

Any one shoot a Bass Pro Shops Red Head Bow?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Any one shoot a Bass Pro Shops Red Head Bow?
Nope! I will warn you, if you haven't figured this out yourself. Companies will build a bow for a large buyer, ie Bass Pro, Dicks, Gander Mountain, etc....and put a name on it. It's the same bow from shop to shop but with a different name so you can't price shop(like matresses). I agree with bear, find a good bow shop. Most of the people at the large houses(those listed above) know enough to be dangerous. Go try to learn something from them about guns, like learning calculus from a 5 year old.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer