The Pick Up Bed & The Alpha Male Sheppard
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Pick Up Bed & The Alpha Male Sheppard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default The Pick Up Bed & The Alpha Male Sheppard

So, I am picking up a truck today. Traded in my SUV, got a lower interest rate, lower payment, smart move, blah, blah, blah.... Who cares...

The boy LOVES to go for a ride in the SUV. I put the windows down and he runs back and forth from window to window sniffing and his big tongue hanging out the side of his head covering most of the window frame in drool.

It's illegal here in Washington to have an animal in the pickup bed if it is not tethered in. Great law in my opinion.

Now, my boy is VERY protective of his peoples' stuff - so I want to make sure and get a good system that will allow him SOME freedom, but not enough to jump out in someone's face at a stoplight. He isn't aggressive unless you mad dog him, but I don't want to risk it.

Sure, I can fabricate something out of Mule Tape and make some sort of attachment - I am just wondering if there is a system out there that other people have used and like for it's (usefulness, price, ease, portability, safety features ) <------ pick one.

Any input that doesn't involve some wisecrack about tying him to the bumper for a little stroll or giving him enough rope to hang himself??

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1831 Times on 1306 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

Default Dog Safety

If you intend to put your better half in the rear, Don't use the reg. collar. Go with the shoulder harness. Drill a hole in the center of the bed next to the back window and install a strong eye bolt. Then figure out the length of cord he needs to get to the edge of the truck. He'll be able to go side to side with no problem, and if for some reason he does go over the harness won't kill him. Have Dog Will Travel?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

You could put a kennel in the back. He'll be able to see around, but in no danger of biting or jumping out.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Or a camper shell...

Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

When i had my Dakota, i would take the roomie's rottie for rides regularly, usually just before i planned to wash that truck. It had a sliding door in the rear window that allowed me to attach her heavy duty leash to the seat belt in the ext.cab. I did use the dog bra rather than a regular collar for added security. Never had any problems with that setup, but it made de-bedding her more time consuming.

You got a sliding window in your window?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

JD, run a cable across the bed at the cab from stake hole to stake hole with a loop in the center. Then attach a short leash, either with a locking carabiner or use a double snap one (like a trailer tether for a horse), to the loop. Put a harness on your pup, a good sturdy one like the picture, don't hook him up by the collar. Any other questions, just ask?

dog-harness.jpg   trrailer-tie.jpg  

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

We just took an I bolt and put in in the middle of the bed about 3" from the front and hooked a piece of chain to it that would allow them to reach the edge and hang their head over but nothing else. I would also say get a shoulder harness so that he doesn't hang himself if he does try to jump out.

We need pics too DURRRRRRR......

Old 06-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Sure, I can fabricate something out of Mule Tape and make some sort of attachment - I am just wondering if there is a system out there that other people have used and like for it's (usefulness, price, ease, portability, safety features ) <------ pick one.

Any input that doesn't involve some wisecrack about tying him to the bumper for a little stroll or giving him enough rope to hang himself??

Thanks.
Congrats on the truck purchase my friend!

Here's a start on a truck bed dog restraint and I am sure they sell a shoulder harness if you need one of them too. The price is not to bad and there are other sites that sell them as well.

PetBuckle Kwik-Connect Truck Bed Tether dog restraint - CargoGear Car and Truck Accessories

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's some good stuff on that website Jack.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

You got a sliding window in your window?
I don't at this time. We have a great purchase plan through the parent company, but you can't spec out exactly what you want, you have to take delivery from dealer stock, or wait for them to order what you want. At this time I do not, but I will have a slider by the end of summer. Great idea on the use of the seatbelt. Thanks brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
JD, run a cable across the bed at the cab from stake hole to stake hole with a loop in the center. Then attach a short leash, either with a locking carabiner or use a double snap one (like a trailer tether for a horse), to the loop. Put a harness on your pup, a good sturdy one like the picture, don't hook him up by the collar. Any other questions, just ask?
Thanks Lady Hartt - That is kind of what I was looking at, something like Jack linked below. I want him to be able to move back and forth, from side to side, just not get over the rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Congrats on the truck purchase my friend!

Here's a start on a truck bed dog restraint and I am sure they sell a shoulder harness if you need one of them too. The price is not to bad and there are other sites that sell them as well.

PetBuckle Kwik-Connect Truck Bed Tether dog restraint - CargoGear Car and Truck Accessories

Jack
Thanks Jack, that was the first one I came across as well. I was wondering if that kind of system was easy to use or what.

I still have to get the bedliner sprayed in before the boy gets to go for a ride. I am hoping he likes it better than the car windows.

Thanks everyone!!