Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Physical combat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im curious how many of you actually train for a physical altercation? Personally, I have trained in karate and taekwondo and I know that even after 9 years, I wouldn't feel adequately trained, especially with a larger male attacker who would likely take me to the ground quickly where I would be less than useless without my firearm. So for those of you who do train, what do you do? For those if you who choose not to train physically, what is your justification for not doing so?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Last edited by GunsGodAndCountry; 10-25-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry
Im curious how many of you actually train for a physical altercation? Personally, I have trained in karate and taekwondo and I know that even after 9 years, I wouldn't feel adequately trained, especially with a larger male attacker who would likely take me to through ground quickly where I would be less than useless without my firearm. So for those of you who do train, what do you do? For those if you who choose not to train physically, what is your justification for not doing so?
Before I got injured I ran and worked out every day plus I practiced various martial arts. If you want something that will help you against a larger opponent, you should look into shodokan, judo and possibly Krav Maga if you can find a real instructor. If you're worried about getting taken to the ground, MMA is really popular right now and a good place to learn some down and dirty ground fighting techniques, plus the basics of wrestling, bridging and mounting etc.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-25-2013 at 03:03 AM.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #3

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've trained a bit in ju jitsu and Muay Thai a few years ago thinking I was gonna be the next UFC fighter but quit after about a year. I also thought of getting into Krav Maga when I moved out but life and bills got in the way. I would like to get into it at some point as, I'm a smaller guy at 5'9" and 152 pounds (I've gained about 20 pounds this year) and can't always have a firearm with me

Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6027 Times on 3300 Posts
Likes Given: 11516

You would fare better than someone with no training. Too many are too quick to surrender and accept fate.

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 10-25-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

The Corps taught me how to fight a man off with an MRE spoon. No, but really. Weapons of opportunity is something anyone can learn. There is no cheating when you're fighting for your life. It's all a matter of aggression, with a modicum of technique, if you ask me. :P

I once killed a bear with my bare hands.

HA. See what I did there?

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
I've trained a bit in ju jitsu and Muay Thai a few years ago thinking I was gonna be the next UFC fighter but quit after about a year. I also thought of getting into Krav Maga when I moved out but life and bills got in the way. I would like to get into it at some point as, I'm a smaller guy at 5'9" and 152 pounds (I've gained about 20 pounds this year) and can't always have a firearm with me
So we are juuuust about the same size, Im sure you get where Im coming from.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 10-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

The thing I found myself falling back on in my altercations with larger guys in my short stint at the county jail where we had no intermediate weapons allowed (dumb ain't it?) was judo and MMA. Big guys (especially ones with no training) usually wig out when they get tossed or thrown. It's a huge psychological blow to them. A lot of times just a simple leg reap would end everything before it even started. (And no paperwork cuz "he just tripped LT! No worries!")

And I'm 165 and 5'7. So definitely not a gorilla by any means. Everybody's gotta pick on the short guy. I'd always tell them "hey when your flat on your back lookin up at the world, everybody's taller."

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-25-2013 at 03:06 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
You would fare much better than someone with no training. Too many are too quick to surrender and accept fate.
I agree with that. Even the smallest amount of training in a martial art will probably give a slight edge in most hand-to-hand situations.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

I agree with that. Even the smallest amount of training in a martial art will probably give a slight edge in most hand-to-hand situations.
I think that has little to do with the type of training and more to do with being level headed and understanding that to fight is to play a game of chess.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #10

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

BJJ since 2000, some MMA under Marcus Davis, Krav Maga off and on, wrestled in HS, some other stuff as time permits...
I avoid physical altercations, and situations that lead to them. I won't run from defending myself if needed, but I'd rather avoid it to begin with.
Normally I carry a palm sized Fenix PD35 flashlight, 850 lumens. I'd just shine that in someones eyes and beat them with it if I had to...and use that to fall back to the pistol..and use that to fall back to the Colt AR-15....and then use that to fall back to the FN-FAL.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...