Phony Special Forces Colonel Takes Guilty Plea....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Phony Special Forces Colonel Takes Guilty Plea....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default Phony Special Forces Colonel Takes Guilty Plea....

Did I (we) ever mention that I (we) hate got damn posers!!

Sooner or later....

Phony SF Colonel Takes Guilty Plea

"A Maryland man who passed himself off to university employers as a former Green Beret and expert in international sex-trafficking and counterterrorism pleaded guilty March 30 to wire fraud.
William G. Hillar, 66, admitted in a plea deal worked out with federal prosecutors in Baltimore that an email he sent to the University of Oregon to apply for work included fraudulent information about his military background and experience.

Hillar could get up to 20 years in prison when he's sentenced on July 20, the FBI said in a statement. Under the terms of the plea agreement he will pay restitution of $171,415 and perform at least 500 hours of community service at the Maryland State Veterans Cemeteries. Hillar was arrested at his Maryland home on Jan. 25. The Justice Department says that the former Coast Guard enlisted man pretended for about 12 years to be a retired Army colonel with a Special Forces background. Part of his faux biography included a claim that his daughter was kidnapped by human traffickers in Asia and that he spent six months in a futile effort to rescue her. Hillar's story reportedly was the basis of a 2008 movie, "Taken," starring Liam Neeson.

The amount of restitution equals the money that he earned from the teaching jobs and speaking engagements he made based on his fraudulent bio. According to the Justice Department, one of the earliest victims of Hillar's fraud was the FBI's Salt Lake City, Utah, division, which paid him just over $1,000 to speak in April 1998. He also took the bureau's Chicago division for about $1,000 in 2002, and between 2000 and 2010 earned $17,369 from the FBI Command College.

Hillar also earned money lecturing and conducting workshops for the Army; the Drug Enforcement Agency; the Interior Department's Bureau of Indian Affairs; the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System and various other state and federal agencies. But his biggest takes were from the University of Oregon, where he earned $33,000 to teach his courses on international crime from 2002 to 2010, and the Monterey Institute of International Studies. MIIS paid him a total of $32,500 from 2005 to 2010.
At Monterey, students who were veterans began questioning Hillar's credibility, according to Jeff "J.D." Hinton, a retired Special Forces master sergeant who began looking into Hillar's background well over a year ago. Hinton had pulled together information from his own Special Forces connections and through Freedom of Information Act requests showing Hillar to be a fraud. He began publicizing the holes in Hillar's resume his website, ProfessionalSoldiers.com, last October.
Army Special Forces and the other elite units of the Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force constitute a small world within the military. People pretending to be a Green Beret, SEAL, Marine Recon or Air Force Special Operations Airman cannot sustain the fraud very long once someone begins asking questions, Hinton said.

"I'm happy with the outcome" of the case against Hillar, Hinton said. "I'm very impressed how quickly the FBI worked this case. I hope this serves as an example to all those that would employ stolen valor to deceive the public. We are watching and we will eventually find and expose you."

© Copyright 2011 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Justice has been served. It kind of has a sweet taste...with a hint of sour.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Jack, when will these azzhats learn that you ain't gonna fool a Senior NCO - ever! Huge props to MSG Hinton (Ret) for busting this turd...

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Taking care of cemeteries is too good for this dirtbag. I think a year of cleaning the heads at several military bases would be more appropriate. He wants to spout off crap, he can darn well clean it up.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That is just low-down, IMO, and i'm FAR from the most moral person i've known.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The guy is real glad that the FBI caught him so fast?????????? And he`s been running this scam since 1998?????????

Catfish
Ohio

Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The guy's a scumsucking, bottomfeeding POS.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

This guy is a POS but i am glad he got caught. I don't think 500hrs is enough punishment though, he should have gotten 2500hrs and forced to do that time at a VA hospital.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

He should have gotten a lifetime of punishment for stealing the honor and respect of those who died doing what he pretended to have done himself!

There is only one punisment for this type of behavior.............SEAR! For the rest of his life!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Definitely needs more viewing attention.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #10

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

See now Jack you've done gone and derailed this thread with that pic. What was the topic again?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD