Pet Snake(s)? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet Snake(s)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
I had a garter snake when I was a teenager. It was actually a really cool pet and was very friendly. I would open the top of his tank and put my hand up to it and he would slither up my arm and hang out around my shoulders for hours. Amazingly he won my mom over who was initially very squeamish about snakes.

I am not a fan of keeping snakes that are either venomous or constrictors that get big. I think they should be left to professional zoos or left in the wild where they are indigenous. Too many people are not prepared to keep them as they mature and they let them out into the wild. Its a big problem in certain areas of Florida.
Very cool. When my ball was a baby I used to bring it everywhere (in the summer). It would wrap around my wrist and just stay there. I had a woman comment on how cool my bracelet was once, until it moved. Lmfao

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I received some good information about snakes in Marine Corps boot camp (prior to our Camp Pendleton field training).

Drill Instructor: "How many of you $%%$ like snakes?
Response: About a dozen recruits raised their hands.
Drill Instructor: "Well they don't $%%$ like you! You leave them the $%%$ alone!"

This advice has served me well.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

People Like This 
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #13

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
I heard the best advice about snakes in Marine Corps boot camp (prior to our Camp Pendleton field training).

Drill Instructor: "Well they don't $%%$ like you! You leave them the $%%$ alone!"

Oh man, I'd have never made it through basic!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

jp_over Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5953 Times on 3370 Posts
Likes Given: 5521

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
I received some good information about snakes in Marine Corps boot camp (prior to our Camp Pendleton field training).

God cursed the serpent. When you kill a snake you're doing God's work!

Winston Churchill
jp_over Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7338 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9052

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
When we were kids, my brothers and I would catch and keep black snakes and garter snakes, that is until a 5' black snake went missing in the house, never to be seen again. After that our mother wouldn't let us keep 'em anymore.
My brother and I used to catch garter snakes down by the creek. My Mother would never let us bring them in the house. We'd keep them for a day or two then let them go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Im not a fan of venom, although they do tend to be the most gorgeous of the species. Most species of snakes are constrictors, even the friendly little corn snake!
It is illegal almost everywhere to keep a venomous snake.

Years ago I had a couple corn snakes.
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1266 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Genesis-3..................

When all else fails.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1094 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Snakes do make good pets, and millions of people have them. We once had an 8' boa. She was a pretty nice girl, that used to like watching TV with us. She got cold, trapping herself between a safe and a wall, and by the time we realized he had done this, she was too cold to bring back. We tried a warm bath, but she died.

The thing that I most notice about snakes, is the ability of some people to place forth so much hatred towards a single creature. People will go out of their way to shoot them, burn them, drive cars over them, anything to kill one. Truly shows the ignorance and foolishness some people labor under.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #18

Liked 155 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

The thing that I most notice about snakes, is the ability of some people to place forth so much hatred towards a single creature. People will go out of their way to shoot them, burn them, drive cars over them, anything to kill one. Truly shows the ignorance and foolishness some people labor under.
That is true. A lot of people will shoot any snake they see. I live in Florida and in the last 6 years I have come across 4 snakes. 3 of them were in my yard.

Two were smaller snakes, one of which was already dead, the other was a little black racer that just slithered away from me. The last one was a pretty big snake, at least 7 or 8 feet, and my dog was trying to play with it. I pulled the dog away and just left the snake to slither off.

People are scared by default of them. In reality a wild snake will do anything it can to get away from you. All you have to do is give it a chance and it will leave.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #19

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Sooo...we are going to condemn one of Gods creatures because of what Satan did? That makes sense...

I do here by solemly affirm that if any of my snakes tries to talk me into eating fruit, I will kill it forthwith

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 04-03-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Oh HELL no! I don't kill anything just to kill it, hence my habit of avoiding snakes. I'm sure they make dandy pets, no barking and what not, but not for me.

USN Vet
Retired LEO
" o xein angellein Lakedaimoniois hote tede
keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"