Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Pet Snake(s)? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/pet-snake-s-88076/)

BigByrd47119 04-03-2013 02:01 PM

Pet Snake(s)?

Hey yall,

Anyone here have pet snakes? My family has owned several but we had to get rid of them when we moved. Now that we are back in our own place, we are looking at carpet pythons!

Whatcha got???

sdiver35 04-03-2013 02:07 PM

Me and snakes are like Gello with bears.

BigByrd47119 04-03-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdiver35 (Post 1201493)
Me and snakes are like Gello with bears.

Ah, haha!

Well, snakes DO eat slightly less!

mountainman13 04-03-2013 02:20 PM

I had an 8' boa, 3' ball and a 15' Burmese. My neighbor had a 20'+ Burmese.
My snakes as well as my other various reptiles went to a zoo. My neighbors died.

BigByrd47119 04-03-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1201505)
I had an 8' boa, 3' ball and a 15' Burmese. My neighbor had a 20'+ Burmese.
My snakes as well as my other various reptiles went to a zoo. My neighbors died.

Gee I was hoping for a happy ending :p

I dont suppose your neighbor was that crazy guy in Ohio that has lions and stuff was he?

Burms are a bit big for my taste. I like to keep it under 10' and 8' or less is even better.

mountainman13 04-03-2013 02:26 PM

No he was strictly a reptile guy. We used to take them in from animal control and local vets. We'd nurse them back to health and find them new homes.
There is nothing quite like putting silver cream on a sick and pissed off 20' snake. Dealing with any lizard over 3' can be very entertaining too. Lol

eatmydust 04-03-2013 02:31 PM

When we were kids, my brothers and I would catch and keep black snakes and garter snakes, that is until a 5' black snake went missing in the house, never to be seen again. After that our mother wouldn't let us keep 'em anymore.

I know it's supposed to be cool, but I see no sense or value in importing and keeping non-native species .IMO

davva360 04-03-2013 02:44 PM

I had a garter snake when I was a teenager. It was actually a really cool pet and was very friendly. I would open the top of his tank and put my hand up to it and he would slither up my arm and hang out around my shoulders for hours. Amazingly he won my mom over who was initially very squeamish about snakes.

I am not a fan of keeping snakes that are either venomous or constrictors that get big. I think they should be left to professional zoos or left in the wild where they are indigenous. Too many people are not prepared to keep them as they mature and they let them out into the wild. Its a big problem in certain areas of Florida.

locutus 04-03-2013 03:02 PM

Snakes make for good target practice!:D

BigByrd47119 04-03-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1201515)
When we were kids, my brothers and I would catch and keep black snakes and garter snakes, that is until a 5' black snake went missing in the house, never to be seen again. After that our mother wouldn't let us keep 'em anymore.

I know it's supposed to be cool, but I see no sense or value in importing and keeping non-native species .IMO

Many states actually have done the import thing to themselves by not allowing the keeping of snakes either native to their state (captive bred even) or native to the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davva360 (Post 1201531)
I had a garter snake when I was a teenager. It was actually a really cool pet and was very friendly. I would open the top of his tank and put my hand up to it and he would slither up my arm and hang out around my shoulders for hours. Amazingly he won my mom over who was initially very squeamish about snakes.

I am not a fan of keeping snakes that are either venomous or constrictors that get big. I think they should be left to professional zoos or left in the wild where they are indigenous. Too many people are not prepared to keep them as they mature and they let them out into the wild. Its a big problem in certain areas of Florida.

Im not a fan of venom, although they do tend to be the most gorgeous of the species. Most species of snakes are constrictors, even the friendly little corn snake! I cannot speak for those with truly large snakes as I never have nor do I ever intend to own one, knowing my own limits. Up north however the snakes your refering to never make it through the winter in the wild.