Pet peeves...we all got'em - Page 77
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #761
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna start stockpiling as soon as I get **** together.

I'm not going to be that ass hole we all hate, buying so much of it that no one else can get any, but you can bet your sweet little ass I'm buying way more than I need. Then I'll start buying reloading gear too.

I told Cinder last night that I'm looking at a 180 hour paycheck soon. We have a guy going on vacation, and no one wants the overtime to cover him, and I NEED the money. I told her I'm thinking about treating myself to a new gun. What I didn't tell her is that this 8" .357 S&W has really caught my eye. But I may settle for a little cricket now that I think about it. If so, I'll be buying at least two bricks per paycheck (paid every two weeks), until I get a good several thousand rounds.

I want enough on hand, plus reloading supplies, to support my current shooting habits for the rest of my life. I was caught with my pants down big time during this recent shortage. I went most of the shortage with two loaded 1911 mags plus a few lose rounds rattling around in my console.
Reloading is definably the way to go. The ONLY thing I probably won't reload for is 7.62x54R because it's already dirt cheap. I shoot way more than I would if I didn't reload.

Word of advice, single stage presses are fine for rifles or the gun that doesn't get shot much. Progressive is the way to go for calibers that will be shot a lot. (not generally recommended for beginners though, and can be expensive). I plan on getting one soon for when I reload 45 acp and .223. Mass reloading can be done on a single stage, but it takes a little more work. (time) I also recommend a powder measure. It makes measuring powder so much faster. (not recommended for max loads, or precision loads)

Here's the one I use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/540522/lee-perfect-powder-measure

Long story short, it's cheap, not super precise (accurate enough for what I do with it), a bit of a pain to set up, and has a habit of leaking powder a little powder, but is an overall decent measure, especially for the price.

I occasionally check it's accuracy when reloading (every 20-30 rounds) just to make sure it's still reasonably accurate, and most of the time it doesn't need readjusting.

If you can though, I'd go for one of the higher quality ones.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-02-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #762
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 308 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have been limiting myself to one box of each caliber I own with the exception of .22lr. I get as much of that as I can (2 boxes of 50). I would get the 500 round boxes if they were ever in stock.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #763
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

I will definitely restock more than I had before. I will do the same as I did this time which is to sell my friends reasonable amounts for reasonable prices, making a small profit but not gouging. They always have the option to not buy it.

It does piss me off when people gouge, or when they buy a store out when there are low supplies. I haven't bought any ammo (except shotgun) for over a year.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #764

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
When i buy a box to shoot I buy a box to keep. And at least a box a paycheck no matter what. It's building up pretty fast even without bulk ammo purchases. I hate the guys that buy up all the crap right off the truck at all the stores too. Gets in the way of guys like me getting what we need.
That's about the route I plan on taking. Just a little extra here and there, no big bulk purchases.

I'm a little paranoid in thinking bulk purchases get noticed.

But, there's also cost and courtesy. I don't want to deny anyone else (but if a single extra box denies someone, tough ****. I don't see a single extra box as unreasonable, especially if I'm only buying a total of about one box per week.)

Cost? I can't afford single large bulk purchases. It may be cheaper in the long run to save up money until I can, but that's a choice I'll have to make when I have the disposable income available. Right now I'm moving, and I've put my wallet on lockdown.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #765

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

How bout those people who text you a question that requires a semi complicated, multi part reply, so you just call them to explain...and they don't answer the ****ing phone?

I'm like, "Dammit, I know you've got it on you. Hell, it's still in your freaking hand!"
my friends do this all the time. Or when you call them, they don't answer then immediately text and ask what you need? I need you to answer your dam phone!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #766
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That's about the route I plan on taking. Just a little extra here and there, no big bulk purchases.

But, there's also cost and courtesy. I don't want to deny anyone else (but if a single extra box denies someone, tough ****. I don't see a single extra box as unreasonable, especially if I'm only buying a total of about one box per week.)

Cost? I can't afford single large bulk purchases. It may be cheaper in the long run to save up money until I can, but that's a choice I'll have to make when I have the disposable income available. Right now I'm moving, and I've put my wallet on lockdown.
I would't discount buying bulk at gun shows though. But here in CA we will have to go to Reno for that.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #767
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3289 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna start stockpiling as soon as I get **** together.

I'm not going to be that ass hole we all hate, buying so much of it that no one else can get any, but you can bet your sweet little ass I'm buying way more than I need. Then I'll start buying reloading gear too.

I told Cinder last night that I'm looking at a 180 hour paycheck soon. We have a guy going on vacation, and no one wants the overtime to cover him, and I NEED the money. I told her I'm thinking about treating myself to a new gun. What I didn't tell her is that this 8" .357 S&W has really caught my eye. But I may settle for a little cricket now that I think about it. If so, I'll be buying at least two bricks per paycheck (paid every two weeks), until I get a good several thousand rounds.

I want enough on hand, plus reloading supplies, to support my current shooting habits for the rest of my life. I was caught with my pants down big time during this recent shortage. I went most of the shortage with two loaded 1911 mags plus a few lose rounds rattling around in my console.
I got so annoyed at the LGS thats hoarding that no one who I know will Buy Ammo from him, so now whenever he sells someone a Gun he has to give away a box for that Gun to get the Person to buy more ammo. At the Range yesterday that's all folks were Talking about! Did the Lay-a-Way deal on a NEW Ruger Stainless Single Six convertible for the WIFE. 4 payments....she's Happy, so I'M HAPPY.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 09-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #768
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3289 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:

Getting a little into topic drift here,..but everyone knows my stance on this. I don't hoard,..I buy a LITTLE at a time and jump on good deals, esp. on the net. Still have not shot any of the two bricks of Federal Auto Match I got at the end of July from Natchez Shooters Supply. Had 300+ loose Winchesters, CCI's, and Anguila's....at the range yesterday to do the Testing for the SD ammo review article, so even with Mz. Doctor F, shooting with her 2 new mags for her Buckmark + her two old ones, Plus me with new High Caps for the Mossberg and bringing my 22/45,..we still only shot 200 22LR's, and we bought 100 more from the range shop, who had 4 100 round boxes left,..so I left some for someone else. Total net,..200 Shot,..200 came home. Also shot a lot of 9mm,..between the SD testing and working in 7 new Mags (the 2 LC9 9 rounders, 3 new 17 rounders for the SR, and 2 new 22 rounders for the Browning HP, still only shot 125 FMJ, but around 60 total SD rounds...
Later on i'll post a pic of Oner of my Ammo crates...and thats just Handgun & 22LR.....We ran around 150 38's through the Ruger wheel guns as well....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 09-02-2013 at 07:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #769
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
When i buy a box to shoot I buy a box to keep. And at least a box a paycheck no matter what. It's building up pretty fast even without bulk ammo purchases. I hate the guys that buy up all the crap right off the truck at all the stores too. Gets in the way of guys like me getting what we need.
That's a smart thing to do, buy one, shoot one.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #770

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

When people get their backs up over a good natured, and not even socially offensive, joke.

That's a peeve.

I'm gonna start telling jokes about white people. Fukkin crackers.