Pet peeves...we all got'em - Page 177
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #1761
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
F4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,259
Liked 941 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I learned on an Alice Chalmers Suicide machine (WC). I think my garden tractor had a bigger engine. break your arm starting them with the crank in the winter if they backfired. I liked the old Farmalls...
I have the model B that my great grandfather bought new in 1946, he paid $600 for it. I also have the '47 model B that grandpa bought in 1978 because the rims wore out on his dads 46. He paid $800 for it. Also a '52 CA (my favorite) and a 56 or 57 WD45. I have a '48 farmall cub too, a great little tractor for its size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Well yeah, but it's probably got a diesel in it that wasn't made by International...

My Grandpa has an old Ford tractor I want really bad, it really messes with my head though because it has a positive ground...
My uncle had a couple of Ford tractors that we used to bale with, a Jubilee, an 860, and a 900, all from the early to mid 50s. I always hated the way the clutches were set up on them. You had to step down on them instead of pushing them forward, same with the brakes. Was always a pet peeve of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Well it definitely isn't a diesel. :P

Someone smarter might be able to explain this better but conventional theory of electricity says that electrons flow from positive to negative...

Then there's electron theory that says the exact opposite, basically it grounds from the positive side of the battery, I'm telling you it really f***s with my head.
You may be over thinking this, the electricity still flows, just the opposite direction. I think most cars until the early 50s were positive ground too. I have converted 2 of my old tractors from 6 volt pos. ground to 12 volt neg. ground. All you have to do is replace the generator with a GM 10si alternator, swap in a 12 volt battery, ground the negative side, hook the positive side to the starter, and swap the wires on the ammeter so it doesn't read backwards. You use the same 6 volt pos. ground starter with the 12 volt system.
__________________
F4U is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #1762
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,293
Liked 5926 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 6282

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I have the model B that my great grandfather bought new in 1946, he paid $600 for it. I also have the '47 model B that grandpa bought in 1978 because the rims wore out on his dads 46. He paid $800 for it. Also a '52 CA (my favorite) and a 56 or 57 WD45. I have a '48 farmall cub too, a great little tractor for its size.



My uncle had a couple of Ford tractors that we used to bale with, a Jubilee, an 860, and a 900, all from the early to mid 50s. I always hated the way the clutches were set up on them. You had to step down on them instead of pushing them forward, same with the brakes. Was always a pet peeve of mine.


You may be over thinking this, the electricity still flows, just the opposite direction. I think most cars until the early 50s were positive ground too. I have converted 2 of my old tractors from 6 volt pos. ground to 12 volt neg. ground. All you have to do is replace the generator with a GM 10si alternator, swap in a 12 volt battery, ground the negative side, hook the positive side to the starter, and swap the wires on the ammeter so it doesn't read backwards. You use the same 6 volt pos. ground starter with the 12 volt system.
They were quite the wonders (Wonder if it will start!!!), on a morning like this one (-15), no way it would fire, have to heat it with a barn heater for a couple hours before it would even Wugg, Wug, ftooo, ftooo ftooo and chug with the sh!t spreader in tow. They were pretty good reliable, simple machines but so darn dangerous, I live in very hilly country! Way too easy to flip or flop over and no protection whatsoever for the pilot. Lots of my neighbors bore the scars from one oh crap moment with a pigeon toed tractor, it was way too normal an occurrence.
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #1763
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 5,987
Liked 3180 Times on 1768 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I have the model B that my great grandfather bought new in 1946, he paid $600 for it. I also have the '47 model B that grandpa bought in 1978 because the rims wore out on his dads 46. He paid $800 for it. Also a '52 CA (my favorite) and a 56 or 57 WD45. I have a '48 farmall cub too, a great little tractor for its size.



My uncle had a couple of Ford tractors that we used to bale with, a Jubilee, an 860, and a 900, all from the early to mid 50s. I always hated the way the clutches were set up on them. You had to step down on them instead of pushing them forward, same with the brakes. Was always a pet peeve of mine.



You may be over thinking this, the electricity still flows, just the opposite direction. I think most cars until the early 50s were positive ground too. I have converted 2 of my old tractors from 6 volt pos. ground to 12 volt neg. ground. All you have to do is replace the generator with a GM 10si alternator, swap in a 12 volt battery, ground the negative side, hook the positive side to the starter, and swap the wires on the ammeter so it doesn't read backwards. You use the same 6 volt pos. ground starter with the 12 volt system.
Peterbilt has a lot of trucks with clutch pedals like that, I hated it at first but once I got used to it, it's kind of nice for short people...

Yeah, but I'm gonna be the one to light that sh!t on fire because I hooked something up backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Welcome to the world of Physics. Ever wonder why scientists are mad? This is why.
I ain't a rocket surgeon, I'm just a mechanic...
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #1764
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,569
Liked 1251 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1902

Default

Posted by Winds:
That's why I hire a plumber to do those things.

Yeah, I know, you just like to look at a professional plumber's "cleavage".


Have a nice day!

__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
winds-of-change Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #1765
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,293
Liked 5926 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 6282

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Well it definitely isn't a diesel. :P

Someone smarter might be able to explain this better but conventional theory of electricity says that electrons flow from positive to negative...

Then there's electron theory that says the exact opposite, basically it grounds from the positive side of the battery, I'm telling you it really f***s with my head.
Lots of ways to look at electron flow but all of them are best described as potentially. I most easily visualize it like water in a pipe with t's, divertors, pumps and flow regulators. Ive spent most of my life working with it and barely understand it to any depth other than using it with others devices and components.

Electricity generally flows from a higher potential through a conductor/ semiconductor of some sort to ground. Negative voltages all are derived from points of reference that are not usual source ground. Positive grounds are not negative voltage, just carrying the ground on wires and switching to the frame of the vehicle which is positive. On a DC car or tractor, that works great, on any AC device, thats called a hot chassis and you can get in big trouble cause that chassis is 120 volts from ground!

Thats like the old refrigerators that would zap you hard if you touched a water pipe and them at the same time when the compressors were going bad. Ouch!!!
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #1766
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,589
Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

Default

Not trying to prove anyone wrong but electricity always try to travel back to its source. The source is usually grounded but if it isn't it takes the path of least resistance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Firearms Talk mobile app

__________________
rurak is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #1767
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
F4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,259
Liked 941 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I learned on an Alice Chalmers Suicide machine (WC). I think my garden tractor had a bigger engine. break your arm starting them with the crank in the winter if they backfired. I liked the old Farmalls...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
They were quite the wonders (Wonder if it will start!!!), on a morning like this one (-15), no way it would fire, have to heat it with a barn heater for a couple hours before it would even Wugg, Wug, ftooo, ftooo ftooo and chug with the sh!t spreader in tow. They were pretty good reliable, simple machines but so darn dangerous, I live in very hilly country! Way too easy to flip or flop over and no protection whatsoever for the pilot. Lots of my neighbors bore the scars from one oh crap moment with a pigeon toed tractor, it was way too normal an occurrence.
What year WC? Styled or un styled? Those had hand brakes didn't they? Was yours a tricycle front end?

Our CA is a tricycle, the reason we got the WD45 is because we caught dad being stupid going sideways on a hill with the CA while mowing.

The ACs were not really designed to be easy to jump away from if they did start to go over, especially the Bs.

Grandpa broke his arm twice about 35 years apart crank starting the B. When they kick back bad things happen if you are not holding the crank just right.
__________________
F4U is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:48 AM   #1768
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 109
Liked 59 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

here is my pet peeve.......people who put "In Loving Memory of insert name here" on the back window of their cars..

The phrase "In Loving Memory" is supposed to be preceded by "this is dedicated"

So just what are these people dedicating to their deceased loved ones? The car? The Window? The Sticker?

I swear if someone pulls this after I die....I'm gonna haunt their ass for eternity!

__________________
TINCANBANDIT is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #1769
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINCANBANDIT View Post
here is my pet peeve.......people who put "In Loving Memory of insert name here" on the back window of their cars..

The phrase "In Loving Memory" is supposed to be preceded by "this is dedicated"

So just what are these people dedicating to their deceased loved ones? The car? The Window? The Sticker?

I swear if someone pulls this after I die....I'm gonna haunt their ass for eternity!
Agreed. The last thing I want dedicated to me is a damn car anyway.

On that note, I've told Cinder, my family, my coworkers, my boss, and even my kid. Now I tell you all, here and now...

If/when I die, don't let the bastards carry me to my grave in a damn Lincoln Hearse. They're freaking ugly as hell. I don't care if you have to use a wheel barrow, just don't let me go in a Lincoln Hearse.

Pet peeve... Lies and the people who tell them. I think I've mentioned that one a long time ago. Doesn't matter, it still pisses me off.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #1770
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cinderocka1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laradise
Posts: 5,987
Liked 3180 Times on 1768 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Agreed. The last thing I want dedicated to me is a damn car anyway.

On that note, I've told Cinder, my family, my coworkers, my boss, and even my kid. Now I tell you all, here and now...

If/when I die, don't let the bastards carry me to my grave in a damn Lincoln Hearse. They're freaking ugly as hell. I don't care if you have to use a wheel barrow, just don't let me go in a Lincoln Hearse.

Pet peeve... Lies and the people who tell them. I think I've mentioned that one a long time ago. Doesn't matter, it still pisses me off.
You actually haven't told me this...
__________________

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Cinderocka1989 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Relationship pet peeves Zombiegirl The Club House 716 03-24-2013 04:10 PM