Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #1501
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 622 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have been doing agricultural burns for most of my life. Now, mind you, around here burning damn near anything gives the neighbors the call to get their 911 fix in. So I get the permits (one required for each location) then I have to notify the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) beforehand, find out if its a "permissible burn day", have a tractor on site, have several men on hand, some sort of water source, tools and on and on. Burn piles cannot exceed a certain size of 6'X6' and 6' tall maximum. You cannot start the fire until 10:00 AM. The person signing the burn permit is required to be the one to start the fire and must remain there until the fire is out. No material may be added to the fire after 3:00PM. There must be no active flames and no smoke by sundown. And on and on and on. …….
A first class example of wannabe dictator weenie government officials on a power trip.

“Too often … we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought,” JFK

People Like This 
Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #1502
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7727 Times on 4460 Posts
Likes Given: 9960

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
We have new laws that say I cant burn without a permit but I dont like permits! The same way I have gutted, rewired, replumbed 2/3rds of my house without a single permit, I burn the tons of plaster, lathe and other detritus I tear out of the rooms I renovate without a permit! The fine is 200 bucks the first time if I do get caught but so far, no issues!

NY being about the wettest and greenest (Vegetative wise) state in the union means that forest fires here are few and far between. I dont get stupid, burning 2 tons of kindling/ debris on a sunny day will get you attention even in the boonies so I wait for rain and torch it, hard to see smoke in a dark sky. I have a huge pile just waiting for lighting and this is a perfect time of the year to do it, I will get pictures, its pretty impressive when you torch it all at once!
The one time I described was the only time I had any trouble. Several times the FD has been called, but it has never been an issue. Sometimes that fire guys will ask if I can show them how to get large piles burned efficiently and I tell them I will, but they never follow up. One time I got called in from a major highway some 10 miles away but the rangers stopped by before the FD from in town got there.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 12-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #1503
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2979 Times on 1663 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

We have "burn bans."

The last time we had one was on "bonfire day." The day we had already invited a bunch of people over to light the 50 foot high pile of wood and Christmas trees we'd collected over the past couple of years.

So we lit it up.

And the fire department came rushing to the house.

Fireman: Don't you know there's a burn ban?

Me: I thought there was an exception for cooking fires.

Fireman: There is.

Me: (Straight face, deadpan voice.) Okay. That's a cooking fire.

Fireman: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU BOYS COOKING? A WHOLE GODDAMN COW?!?!

HEY PK! THESE BOYS SAY THIS HERE'S A COOKING FIRE!!!

He and his buddies ended laughing so hard they "forgot" about the fire and left us alone.
I started a fire with twelve pallets once it in the middle of the dunes outside Nephi, forest service shows up, says, you're going to start a forest fire. I looked around and said, please, show me where the forest is, I'll wait, I got time to burn... Maybe he didn't get the joke but he was not amused.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I started a fire with twelve pallets once it in the middle of the dunes outside Nephi, forest service shows up, says, you're going to start a forest fire. I looked around and said, please, show me where the forest is, I'll wait, I got time to burn... Maybe he didn't get the joke but he was not amused.
Heh. Or maybe "By the time enough trees grow here to make a forest, this fire will be out!"

Thing about burning pallets is they leave a ton of nails behind. Here in CA they will nail you for that (yeah, I did that on purpose) and its not such a bad thing. They will also nail you for throwing bottles and cans into the fire. It pisses me off when people burn their trash on the beach because it means that other people will be walking through it later. When you have a big bonfire the only thing that should be left behind in ash and maybe charcoal (if it didn't burn down all the way).

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
People Like This 
Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #1505
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5620 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 5981

In the last 12 years, Ive had at least one huge burn a year. Same spot, same type of stuff, Plaster and Lathe, I bet there are a million damn square nails in that pile. Someday when steel goes for the price of silver today, someones gonna get rich!

The DEC and others are all concerned about the air pollution that open burns create and Fire police rightfully concerned about fires getting out of control but my guess is that it has less footprint overall than our current disposal methods that virtually destroy huge tracts of land for eternity and using a little common sense when you burn eliminates the risks of spreading. Ive lived in 2 homes that were over 150 years old and both had their own dumps from generations of disposal by the inhabitants. They were an awesome source of antiques and still only took up a very small spot on the properties. The fact the houses still stand tells me the controlled burns went well and they wasted nobodies property but their own. That makes more sense to me than putting it in bags and burying it with thousands of other people garbage.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
In the last 12 years, Ive had at least one huge burn a year. Same spot, same type of stuff, Plaster and Lathe, I bet there are a million damn square nails in that pile. Someday when steel goes for the price of silver today, someones gonna get rich!

The DEC and others are all concerned about the air pollution that open burns create and Fire police rightfully concerned about fires getting out of control but my guess is that it has less footprint overall than our current disposal methods that virtually destroy huge tracts of land for eternity and using a little common sense when you burn eliminates the risks of spreading. Ive lived in 2 homes that were over 150 years old and both had their own dumps from generations of disposal by the inhabitants. They were an awesome source of antiques and still only took up a very small spot on the properties. The fact the houses still stand tells me the controlled burns went well and they wasted nobodies property but their own. That makes more sense to me than putting it in bags and burying it with thousands of other people garbage.
Especially when you consider that when you put it in a plastic bag it seals it up there damn near forever, and in all reality the stuff we throw away would either burn down just fine or decompose on its own if allowed.

My grandmother never had enough garbage to warrant having collection service. If she had put her garbage in a garbage can it would have literally taken a year for her to fill it up, and even then she might not.

Quote:
People Like This 
Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #1507
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2832 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 16886

Well, my most pet peeve is when your in Walmartor somewhere very public and you get that root itch , you know , that very personal itch....I hate when that happens...!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #1508
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19810 Times on 11247 Posts
Likes Given: 49924

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Well, my most pet peeve is when your in Walmartor somewhere very public and you get that root itch , you know , that very personal itch....I hate when that happens...!
if i got an itch, i scratch it!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #1509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if i got an itch, i scratch it!
There's a difference between rootin' and itchin'.

Quote:
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #1510
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19810 Times on 11247 Posts
Likes Given: 49924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
There's a difference between rootin' and itchin'.
it solves the same problem!