Pet peeves...we all got'em - Page 121
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #1201
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2045 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
"The older I get the smarter my dad gets". It didn't make a bit of sense then but WOW how true it really is.
But what's really strange is that he's still saying the same things... they just sound a lot smarter than they did when you were 18...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #1202
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
But what's really strange is that he's still saying the same things... they just sound a lot smarter than they did when you were 18...
Exactly, and grandpa was a freakin' genius, and I don't know for sure he ever finished high school. I know grandma didn't.

Neither of them made a lot of money so anything that needed done they had to do. So they rolled up their sleeves and went to work. Sometimes they got in way over their heads and had to call in help, but most of the time they figured it out.

Dad is in his 70s now and he defers to me on a lot of this stuff. On my own I have no problem with this kind of stuff, but to have him ask me what I think and to have him give my thoughts more weight than his own is probably a natural progression for him but damn it it is hard to watch, especially since he is still sharp as a tack but not as sure of himself as he used to be.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #1203
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8458 Times on 4900 Posts
Likes Given: 11023

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Exactly, and grandpa was a freakin' genius, and I don't know for sure he ever finished high school. I know grandma didn't.

Neither of them made a lot of money so anything that needed done they had to do. So they rolled up their sleeves and went to work. Sometimes they got in way over their heads and had to call in help, but most of the time they figured it out.

Dad is in his 70s now and he defers to me on a lot of this stuff. On my own I have no problem with this kind of stuff, but to have him ask me what I think and to have him give my thoughts more weight than his own is probably a natural progression for him but damn it it is hard to watch, especially since he is still sharp as a tack but not as sure of himself as he used to be.
For the past several years my dad was declining somewhat and he was acutely aware of it. He wouldn't ask anyone but me any questions that might let them on to his "infirmity" (that is how he saw it), but I was always extremely careful not to let him become self conscious of it. In all reality he was pretty damned sharp and the "failings" were only noticeable to him (and probably me, because I knew him so well). Even my step-mom has said that she knew he was self conscious but she couldn't see why.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #1204
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
For the past several years my dad was declining somewhat and he was acutely aware of it. He wouldn't ask anyone but me any questions that might let them on to his "infirmity" (that is how he saw it), but I was always extremely careful not to let him become self conscious of it. In all reality he was pretty damned sharp and the "failings" were only noticeable to him (and probably me, because I knew him so well). Even my step-mom has said that she knew he was self conscious but she couldn't see why.
Alsheimers runs rampant in the family but in weird ways. On his mothers side it seems to only effect the females of the family. His mom was one of 11 kids and 2 of her brothers had at least 11 kids each, she had 3 and had about the least in the family.

On his dads side, his dad was the only boy and he had it starting at about 87-89 years old( grandpas mom lived to be 106) but none of his sisters had it. Grandpa died at about 92 or 93, he was on blood thinners and fell and hit his head and bled to death internally. His youngest sister lived to her mid 90s and was still very sharp when she passed.

So needless to say Dad and his brothers don't know what to expect.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #1205
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Speaking of professors, some of them are totally useless. I had a Calculus professor who was from the Netherlands, could barely speak English, and I sure couldn't speak Dutch. His mispronunciation of many words made me just revert to studying the textbook. I did get an "A", but it wasn't due to the "learned great teacher" or his effort.
Then I had an Organic Chemistry "professor" who was teaching night classes as a second job. He spent the class time bragging about what he did on his day job in a lab dealing with coal tar. I pretty well ignored his lectures because they had nothing to do with the textbook. But then, at exam time, I'll be damned if he didn't make the test questions about what he did on his job. I dropped the class and took it again the next semester with a different professor.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #1206
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8458 Times on 4900 Posts
Likes Given: 11023

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Speaking of professors, some of them are totally useless. I had a Calculus professor who was from the Netherlands, could barely speak English, and I sure couldn't speak Dutch. His mispronunciation of many words made me just revert to studying the textbook. I did get an "A", but it wasn't due to the "learned great teacher" or his effort.
Then I had an Organic Chemistry "professor" who was teaching night classes as a second job. He spent the class time bragging about what he did on his day job in a lab dealing with coal tar. I pretty well ignored his lectures because they had nothing to do with the textbook. But then, at exam time, I'll be damned if he didn't make the test questions about what he did on his job. I dropped the class and took it again the next semester with a different professor.
If it were me I would notify the administration as to how ineffective the instructors are. I will also let them know when I have an exceptional one.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #1207

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

EDITED by Admin

Please post politics in politics

Last edited by Chainfire; 10-17-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #1208
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If it were me I would notify the administration as to how ineffective the instructors are. I will also let them know when I have an exceptional one.
Thanks. It's a few decades late for that now. I was kinda timid and just dealt with it without saying anything. But my timidity was cured by the United States Marine Corps. I owe them a lot.
Semper Fi
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #1209
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Thanks. It's a few decades late for that now. I was kinda timid and just dealt with it without saying anything. But my timidity was cured by the United States Marine Corps. I owe them a lot.
Semper Fi
USMC, making men out of boys for many generations!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #1210
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3276 Times on 2228 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota

Thats the Truth! I lost my Dad at 27,...but what he said to me at 18 sure sounded a lot smarter at 25!!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...