Pet peeves...we all got'em - Page 120
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #1191
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,801
Liked 8970 Times on 5212 Posts
Likes Given: 11793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
My kinda church.
He got one of those mail-order ministry things that authorizes him to legally marry people. Its a lifetime deal.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #1192
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I should clarify, I would have advised that father who paid $30K for his daughter's wedding to do this. There is no way I would spend $15K on a wedding myself. Ever. If, when I was planning on getting married, my future wife said she wanted to spend $15K on our wedding I would call the wedding off because we would obviously not have been a match. If I were to do it over again today I would just not get married, or maybe if she insisted on it I would get the license and then have my buddy who is a licensed minister perform the ceremony. He would probbaly do it for a bottle of good Scotch.
My kinda Guy....esp. If it was good scotch and he opened it with us....
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #1193
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 847
Liked 182 Times on 135 Posts

Default

People that say they'll "call their attorney". Call them for all I care, what are they gonna do? Wipe out my 6 digit bank account? Repo my Porsche? Yeah right lol

__________________
austin92 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #1194
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1276 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
People that say they'll "call their attorney". Call them for all I care, what are they gonna do? Wipe out my 6 digit bank account? Repo my Porsche? Yeah right lol
Yeah, I've dealt with that, too. They think everybody is fooled into believing that "attorneys" have some kind of authority or power. I just ask them who their attorney is, then when they proudly spit out a name, I just say, "Oh, he's your attorney too? I was just at his birthday party not long ago. Tell him ol' Aikijutsu said thanks for putting that guy in his place last month".
__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #1195
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,206
Liked 2446 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
Yeah, I've dealt with that, too. They think everybody is fooled into believing that "attorneys" have some kind of authority or power. I just ask them who their attorney is, then when they proudly spit out a name, I just say, "Oh, he's your attorney too? I was just at his birthday party not long ago. Tell him ol' Aikijutsu said thanks for putting that guy in his place last month".
Yeah the downside to that is that people cry "attorney" so often and do nothing, that it's like crying "wolf." Most of these idiots don't actually have an attorney or even a case.

So when someone actually does have an attorney and they are trying to give a business owner or manager the chance to do the right thing before sueing their pants off, the people just blow it off like its nothing.

This has happened to me twice. After two weeks of trying to get a response from them I was very politely telling them "hey listen, this is not the first time I've dealt with this issue. I have a very good attorney. We won in court the last time this happened, and there was a lot of money payed out. I'm not interested in any of that. I just want you to do your job and fix this the right way." And they blew it off like yeah right okay I have other stuff to do.

They were so far out of line legally that my attorney busted out laughing in his office when we sat down to discuss it. And it would have all gone away if they just handled things man to man like an honest person.
__________________

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

DeltaF is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #1196
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 311
Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

Default

When the professor says "Chapters 6-9 will be on the exam next week!" The the day before the exam. "Study Chapter 10! It's on the exam!" @$@&& couldn't have mentioned that before? And shouldn't we have studied it in class?? Ugh. I know this is how college is but it's so annoying. I hate it when a professor just makes you read a book and regurgitate information. I want to learn! I want to be taught! If I just wanted to read a book I could've bought the book and not paid tuition.

__________________
okieboy is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #1197
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,801
Liked 8970 Times on 5212 Posts
Likes Given: 11793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboy View Post
When the professor says "Chapters 6-9 will be on the exam next week!" The the day before the exam. "Study Chapter 10! It's on the exam!" @$@&& couldn't have mentioned that before? And shouldn't we have studied it in class?? Ugh. I know this is how college is but it's so annoying. I hate it when a professor just makes you read a book and regurgitate information. I want to learn! I want to be taught! If I just wanted to read a book I could've bought the book and not paid tuition.
Teaching and learning are not always hand in hand. If you truly want to learn pay less attention to what the professor is teaching and more attention to truly understanding the material. When I am taking a class these days I will frequently forge ahead in the book quite simply because I am thirsting for the knowledge, not because it was assigned. Most students these days are learning by rote, which will (or might) allow you to pass the exam, but when you need to apply the theories in real life that you are studying, the exam will not help you one damned bit. I know that may be difficult to understand but I have no better way of putting it.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #1198
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1276 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

And the public schools have reverted to teaching only the "no child left behind" exam (I-STEP), and don't even care about real education
And then they cheat and doctor up the scores so their schools continue to get Fed money and they get to keep their nonproductive jobs.

__________________

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 10-16-2013 at 07:24 PM.
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #1199
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 24,219
Liked 7989 Times on 4791 Posts
Likes Given: 10271

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Teaching and learning are not always hand in hand. If you truly want to learn pay less attention to what the professor is teaching and more attention to truly understanding the material. When I am taking a class these days I will frequently forge ahead in the book quite simply because I am thirsting for the knowledge, not because it was assigned. Most students these days are learning by rote, which will (or might) allow you to pass the exam, but when you need to apply the theories in real life that you are studying, the exam will not help you one damned bit. I know that may be difficult to understand but I have no better way of putting it.
I learned way more after graduating than I ever did in college. Just today the instrument I was running lost it's vacuum. I called tech support and was working with the person on the phone. I was learning a lot. As I was talking to the person helping me troubleshoot, my boss comes out of his office and starts hitting buttons on the screen. He knew what to do and zipped through it all for me. When I got off the phone with tech support, I told my boss I wished he would have let me done what I was being told as I was trying to learn. He apologized. I know HE knows it but I want to know it, too.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #1200
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
F4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,524
Liked 1172 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I learned way more after graduating than I ever did in college. Just today the instrument I was running lost it's vacuum. I called tech support and was working with the person on the phone. I was learning a lot. As I was talking to the person helping me troubleshoot, my boss comes out of his office and starts hitting buttons on the screen. He knew what to do and zipped through it all for me. When I got off the phone with tech support, I told my boss I wished he would have let me done what I was being told as I was trying to learn. He apologized. I know HE knows it but I want to know it, too.
It is what you learn after you know it all that is important. Heck if I was half as smart now as I thought I was at 18 I would be ruling the world.

My dad said to me when I was in my early 20s and he was in his early forties.
"The older I get the smarter my dad gets". It didn't make a bit of sense then but WOW how true it really is.
__________________
F4U is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Relationship pet peeves Zombiegirl The Club House 716 03-24-2013 05:10 PM