Pet peeves...we all got'em - Page 120
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #1191
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
My kinda church.
He got one of those mail-order ministry things that authorizes him to legally marry people. Its a lifetime deal.
People Like This 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #1192
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I should clarify, I would have advised that father who paid $30K for his daughter's wedding to do this. There is no way I would spend $15K on a wedding myself. Ever. If, when I was planning on getting married, my future wife said she wanted to spend $15K on our wedding I would call the wedding off because we would obviously not have been a match. If I were to do it over again today I would just not get married, or maybe if she insisted on it I would get the license and then have my buddy who is a licensed minister perform the ceremony. He would probbaly do it for a bottle of good Scotch.
My kinda Guy....esp. If it was good scotch and he opened it with us....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #1193

Liked 230 Times on 172 Posts

People that say they'll "call their attorney". Call them for all I care, what are they gonna do? Wipe out my 6 digit bank account? Repo my Porsche? Yeah right lol
People Like This 
Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #1194
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
People that say they'll "call their attorney". Call them for all I care, what are they gonna do? Wipe out my 6 digit bank account? Repo my Porsche? Yeah right lol
Yeah, I've dealt with that, too. They think everybody is fooled into believing that "attorneys" have some kind of authority or power. I just ask them who their attorney is, then when they proudly spit out a name, I just say, "Oh, he's your attorney too? I was just at his birthday party not long ago. Tell him ol' Aikijutsu said thanks for putting that guy in his place last month".
People Like This 
Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #1195
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
Yeah, I've dealt with that, too. They think everybody is fooled into believing that "attorneys" have some kind of authority or power. I just ask them who their attorney is, then when they proudly spit out a name, I just say, "Oh, he's your attorney too? I was just at his birthday party not long ago. Tell him ol' Aikijutsu said thanks for putting that guy in his place last month".
Yeah the downside to that is that people cry "attorney" so often and do nothing, that it's like crying "wolf." Most of these idiots don't actually have an attorney or even a case.

So when someone actually does have an attorney and they are trying to give a business owner or manager the chance to do the right thing before sueing their pants off, the people just blow it off like its nothing.

This has happened to me twice. After two weeks of trying to get a response from them I was very politely telling them "hey listen, this is not the first time I've dealt with this issue. I have a very good attorney. We won in court the last time this happened, and there was a lot of money payed out. I'm not interested in any of that. I just want you to do your job and fix this the right way." And they blew it off like yeah right okay I have other stuff to do.

They were so far out of line legally that my attorney busted out laughing in his office when we sat down to discuss it. And it would have all gone away if they just handled things man to man like an honest person.
People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #1196

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

When the professor says "Chapters 6-9 will be on the exam next week!" The the day before the exam. "Study Chapter 10! It's on the exam!" @$@&& couldn't have mentioned that before? And shouldn't we have studied it in class?? Ugh. I know this is how college is but it's so annoying. I hate it when a professor just makes you read a book and regurgitate information. I want to learn! I want to be taught! If I just wanted to read a book I could've bought the book and not paid tuition.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #1197
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboy View Post
When the professor says "Chapters 6-9 will be on the exam next week!" The the day before the exam. "Study Chapter 10! It's on the exam!" @$@&& couldn't have mentioned that before? And shouldn't we have studied it in class?? Ugh. I know this is how college is but it's so annoying. I hate it when a professor just makes you read a book and regurgitate information. I want to learn! I want to be taught! If I just wanted to read a book I could've bought the book and not paid tuition.
Teaching and learning are not always hand in hand. If you truly want to learn pay less attention to what the professor is teaching and more attention to truly understanding the material. When I am taking a class these days I will frequently forge ahead in the book quite simply because I am thirsting for the knowledge, not because it was assigned. Most students these days are learning by rote, which will (or might) allow you to pass the exam, but when you need to apply the theories in real life that you are studying, the exam will not help you one damned bit. I know that may be difficult to understand but I have no better way of putting it.
People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #1198
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

And the public schools have reverted to teaching only the "no child left behind" exam (I-STEP), and don't even care about real education
And then they cheat and doctor up the scores so their schools continue to get Fed money and they get to keep their nonproductive jobs.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 10-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #1199
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8666 Times on 5171 Posts
Likes Given: 11420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Teaching and learning are not always hand in hand. If you truly want to learn pay less attention to what the professor is teaching and more attention to truly understanding the material. When I am taking a class these days I will frequently forge ahead in the book quite simply because I am thirsting for the knowledge, not because it was assigned. Most students these days are learning by rote, which will (or might) allow you to pass the exam, but when you need to apply the theories in real life that you are studying, the exam will not help you one damned bit. I know that may be difficult to understand but I have no better way of putting it.
I learned way more after graduating than I ever did in college. Just today the instrument I was running lost it's vacuum. I called tech support and was working with the person on the phone. I was learning a lot. As I was talking to the person helping me troubleshoot, my boss comes out of his office and starts hitting buttons on the screen. He knew what to do and zipped through it all for me. When I got off the phone with tech support, I told my boss I wished he would have let me done what I was being told as I was trying to learn. He apologized. I know HE knows it but I want to know it, too.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #1200
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1373 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I learned way more after graduating than I ever did in college. Just today the instrument I was running lost it's vacuum. I called tech support and was working with the person on the phone. I was learning a lot. As I was talking to the person helping me troubleshoot, my boss comes out of his office and starts hitting buttons on the screen. He knew what to do and zipped through it all for me. When I got off the phone with tech support, I told my boss I wished he would have let me done what I was being told as I was trying to learn. He apologized. I know HE knows it but I want to know it, too.
It is what you learn after you know it all that is important. Heck if I was half as smart now as I thought I was at 18 I would be ruling the world.

My dad said to me when I was in my early 20s and he was in his early forties.
"The older I get the smarter my dad gets". It didn't make a bit of sense then but WOW how true it really is.