Pet peeves...we all got'em - Page 118
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #1171
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ellis36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Batesville,Mississippi
Posts: 900
Liked 735 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Wedding videos are a waste of money in my opinion. I would pass on it. We only did photos and I haven't looked at those since shortly after the wedding.

Then again these days I would probably pass on the wedding entirely.
Speaking of a waste of money and weddings…several years ago the only daughter of a close friend was getting married. They lived in an up-scale community and the daughter was planning a $30,000 wedding. My friend, a practical man, offered them the $30,000 as a down payment on a house rather than blowing it on a wedding.
She chose the wedding, hands down! One day celebration and it’s all gone!

Not to defend wedding photographers…it’a field open for rip-off artists and people over-selling their talent and capabilities... but having to deal with the raw emotion and estrogen of a wedding in the planning and execution stages…then trying to collect on the invoices due when the euphoria has passed and the cold reality of money spent sets in after the event….that’s a tough way to make a living!
__________________

A woman needs love…when she’s least lovable.
A man needs applause…when he least deserves it.

ellis36 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #1172
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,189
Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36
Speaking of a waste of money and weddings…several years ago the only daughter of a close friend was getting married. They lived in an up-scale community and the daughter was planning a $30,000 wedding. My friend, a practical man, offered them the $30,000 as a down payment on a house rather than blowing it on a wedding. She chose the wedding, hands down! One day celebration and it’s all gone! Not to defend wedding photographers…it’a field open for rip-off artists and people over-selling their talent and capabilities... but having to deal with the raw emotion and estrogen of a wedding in the planning and execution stages…then trying to collect on the invoices due when the euphoria has passed and the cold reality of money spent sets in after the event….that’s a tough way to make a living!
I worked part time at a TV station and did freelance stuff on the side back when my wife and I were still dating

Wedding videography was such a hellish ordeal that I completely refused to do it at all. I did maybe 2 weddings. And that was for family and only after they begged me for days on end. And by the time I agreed they knew enough to leave me the hell alone and keep me out of their drama when I showed up with my gear.

I hate weddings. With a fiery passion.
__________________

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

DeltaF is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #1173
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,398
Liked 8673 Times on 5015 Posts
Likes Given: 11265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
Speaking of a waste of money and weddings…several years ago the only daughter of a close friend was getting married. They lived in an up-scale community and the daughter was planning a $30,000 wedding. My friend, a practical man, offered them the $30,000 as a down payment on a house rather than blowing it on a wedding.
She chose the wedding, hands down! One day celebration and it’s all gone!

Not to defend wedding photographers…it’a field open for rip-off artists and people over-selling their talent and capabilities... but having to deal with the raw emotion and estrogen of a wedding in the planning and execution stages…then trying to collect on the invoices due when the euphoria has passed and the cold reality of money spent sets in after the event….that’s a tough way to make a living!
Thank God I don't have a daughter! Seriously though, if it were me I would have offered $30K towards a house or $15K towards the wedding. One or the other. Take it or leave it.

$30 for a wedding is just egotistical over-indulgence.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #1174
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Thank God I don't have a daughter! Seriously though, if it were me I would have offered $30K towards a house or $15K towards the wedding. One or the other. Take it or leave it.

$30 for a wedding is just egotistical over-indulgence.
i'm with ya Vikingdad! i thought that $25 for the marriage license and $20 to the judge to perform the ceremony was a bit high myself!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #1175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ellis36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Batesville,Mississippi
Posts: 900
Liked 735 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'm with ya Vikingdad! i thought that $25 for the marriage license and $20 to the judge to perform the ceremony was a bit high myself!
Ha! That’s what my wife and I did…43 years ago…in the San Jose courthouse. I don’t even remember paying the judge!
__________________

A woman needs love…when she’s least lovable.
A man needs applause…when he least deserves it.

ellis36 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #1176
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
Ha! That’s what my wife and I did…43 years ago…in the San Jose courthouse. I don’t even remember paying the judge!
that's cause your wife to be got you drunk before the ceremony!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #1177
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,398
Liked 8673 Times on 5015 Posts
Likes Given: 11265

Default

My wife and I spent around $3,000 total, including rings, license, etc. and that was too much IMO.

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #1178
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ellis36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Batesville,Mississippi
Posts: 900
Liked 735 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
that's cause your wife to be got you drunk before the ceremony!
It’s true…but how did you know that?!
__________________

A woman needs love…when she’s least lovable.
A man needs applause…when he least deserves it.

ellis36 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #1179
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
It’s true…but how did you know that?!
just a guess. might have been what happened to me. it's still kind of blurry even after all these years!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #1180
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,109
Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF

I worked part time at a TV station and did freelance stuff on the side back when my wife and I were still dating

Wedding videography was such a hellish ordeal that I completely refused to do it at all. I did maybe 2 weddings. And that was for family and only after they begged me for days on end. And by the time I agreed they knew enough to leave me the hell alone and keep me out of their drama when I showed up with my gear.

I hate weddings. With a fiery passion.
My wife does Out Photography/Video for whatever project we're working on. She does the Sports stuff for us, and we've done some Pet stuff & scenics on the side, as well as some PR related stuff. She often thought about wedding work, and when you can get it (and collect) it's good money but it's too much Crap to have to deal with. We just did a favor last night for one of our friends for their 12 Year old's B-Day Party Centered around Last night's NFL game, Done very nicely and a Local Rest., and the family rented a 62" Screen for the party(4-9pm). even though it was gratis( I MC'ed) for our friends(the parents) they gave us a very nice Tip...Plus, even with 15 11-14 Year olds, I guess because they we're all into Football....it was 50 People with Parents/Older sibs,...all in different NFL Jerseys( I broke out my 1990 SBXXV Mark Bavaro #89 In Alternate-Black with White numbers, Red "NY" and Blue trim), But "Fun" jobs are Few & far between. and Weddings Aren't fun for service providers..
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Relationship pet peeves Zombiegirl The Club House 716 03-24-2013 05:10 PM