Pet peeves...we all got'em - Page 108
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pet peeves...we all got'em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #1071
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2368 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
my pet peeve of the day.

people who use text talk on a forum. is it simply because they are lazy or that they are being disrespectful of others.
Some people use their phones to access the forum. Some phones have an amazingly bad text interface. Shorthand text talk was developed because of that. In one way they are being lazy, but it's just as likely that they're in a hurry. I generally manage to type proper English sentences even on my phone, but it is very tedious.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1072
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 840 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboy View Post
Pet peeve: broken coffee pot......enough said...........I'm simply trying to make the post long enough so it will send....but I'm not happy
I feel your pain. Mine broke a few days ago, a full pot gone...

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 10-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #1073
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Some people use their phones to access the forum. Some phones have an amazingly bad text interface. Shorthand text talk was developed because of that. In one way they are being lazy, but it's just as likely that they're in a hurry. I generally manage to type proper English sentences even on my phone, but it is very tedious.
I was like that, too. Then I got a phone that has a full keyboard, now I can type full replies faster (unless autocorrect kicks in, I mean, seriously, what dictionary is being used??)

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Balota Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #1074
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Painting entire groups with the same brush is easy, commonplace and WRONG. I'm as guilty of it as anyone. Democrats, liberals, Muslims, ... all are labels for groups that have had their reputations destroyed by bad actions of a few. All have been trashed on a regular basis by various members of this community, including myself.

Sometimes we generalize that a group is evil. Other times that a group is good. In fact, individuals are good or evil. When a group is generalized, it becomes more difficult to treat members of that group fairly.

Although I fall short of this goal at times, I try to start with respect until an individual earns the opposite.
I generally am good with not painting groups, though progressive liberals and certain Christian sects (the kind that go around knocking on doors, ringing doorbells wanting to spread the word while I'm trying to sleep - I work overnights) make it difficult not to.

One group I usually am never respectful with would be telemarketers. Yes, I know they have a job to do, and good jobs are hard to come by, but come on... is cleaning a toilet that beneath you that you'd rather be a telemarketer? They also bother me while I'm trying to sleep, and I can't turn off the ringer in case my family has an emergency.

I just take issue with the fact that certain people think just because they have a certain job that it automatically means they are to be given respect.

My first CO told me that when it comes to the officers and senior NCOs, "you don't have to respect the man, but you will respect the rank". I apply the same to LE. I will always respect the badge, but I'll wait to see if the person wearing it is deserving of respect.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #1075
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

Quote:
I did not serve. In one of the birthday drafts (early 70s) I was in the 360s. I think they would have taken my grandfather before me. At the time I was very glad to be out of it. As I've gotten older I've changed to regretting that I never served. At 59 it's too late to serve. But it's not too late to respect and appreciate those who have served.
I am stone deaf in one ear and I have an unrelated back injury I suffered when I was 7 years old. Lots of people over the years have told me that is no excuse, that I could still serve. But in reality, I was told that I could not by a recruiting officer - which tells you something (if a RO would not sign me up to fill a spot on his roster it is pretty much a done deal). This was in the 1980's, so it is not like the draft years. Back then they probably would have overlooked my disabilities. I have several close friends and some family members who have served, some of whose careers I followed closely and with great interest. I believe I would have made a good soldier.

That having been said, there are some people who just flat out are not cut out for it for one reason or another. And some of those people (albeit probably a minority) still would not fit under the broad stereotypes that many make of the people who have not served. Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, a teacher, a preacher or what have you. And not everyone is cut out to serve (and that does not mean that they cannot appreciate those who do!). I think that if I were in any of those career paths that the last person I would want at my 6 would be someone who does not belong there.

Quote:
Painting entire groups with the same brush is easy, commonplace and WRONG. I'm as guilty of it as anyone. Democrats, liberals, Muslims, ... all are labels for groups that have had their reputations destroyed by bad actions of a few. All have been trashed on a regular basis by various members of this community, including myself.

Sometimes we generalize that a group is evil. Other times that a group is good. In fact, individuals are good or evil. When a group is generalized, it becomes more difficult to treat members of that group fairly.
I am often the victim of this sort of discrimination (for that is what it is) due to my living in California. I also am also frequently summarily dismissed as a crackpot because my opinions differ from those of many and people automatically will lump that difference of opinion in with me being from CA and they accuse me of being a liberal, gay, atheist, Democrat, and/or all of the above. But they fail to look at my statements of opinion in the context in which they are intended.

To me that reveals more about them than it ever will about me. And quite honestly that saddens me greatly. Not about them, but rather about myself.

It is said that opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. This is true as far as it goes, but opinions, unlike assholes, need to be frequently and thoroughly examined in detail, inside and out, and even more so by their owners than the others who are exposed to them. When I dismiss the criticisms of others because of their personal attacks I am dismissing their opinions, and they may not have the ability to fully articulate an entirely valid point of view that I should be considering. Shame on me.

Quote:
Although I fall short of this goal at times, I try to start with respect until an individual earns the opposite.
I always try to start out giving all parties involved in a given interaction an equal amount of respect, this which is roughly equivalent to how much respect I have for myself (I know, this is unfair to the, I should start higher!) and then the respect goes up or down from that point forward and continues on throughout the relationship, be it a few minutes or the rest of our lives.

There are a few rare individuals who can far exceed this crude rating system I have. I can't think of any offhand, but I am sure that many of you (hopefully most) have had the great pleasure of meeting at least one of these individuals in your lifetime. Somebody whose mere presence raises all levels of respect in the room by their mere presence. If only one day I could be like that, and I do strive to be one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
I generally am good with not painting groups, though progressive liberals and certain Christian sects (the kind that go around knocking on doors, ringing doorbells wanting to spread the word while I'm trying to sleep - I work overnights) make it difficult not to.
I would think that a sign on the door would fix that problem. "If you want to talk to me about God then ring the doorbell and I will arrange for you to meet Him immediately."

Quote:
One group I usually am never respectful with would be telemarketers. Yes, I know they have a job to do, and good jobs are hard to come by, but come on... is cleaning a toilet that beneath you that you'd rather be a telemarketer? They also bother me while I'm trying to sleep, and I can't turn off the ringer in case my family has an emergency.
Meh. I have been through that too. I work some really crazy schedules sometimes, I have a couple of home-based businesses and elderly family members too. That makes for some off-hours calls at times (not including the telemarketers). I have definitely logged more unimportant calls that have woken me from a sound sleep than I have ever (thankfully) taken for a genuine emergency. My father-in-law (now deceased) in his later years started getting his days and nights confused. He would call at all hours to ask if we could pick up some butter, or did we get the paper yet, or something equally mundane. We would tell him to go back to bed and we would see him in the morning. Once in a great while it was something that needed to be addressed more quickly. Thankfully those were rare.

Just over a year ago on September 6th, 2012 at 02:00 the ringing phone woke me from a sound sleep. My step-mom called to tell me she was in the hospital with Dad. Dad passed on at 16:00 with the whole family by his side. It was the worst day of my life, bar none.

Do telemarketers annoy me? Maybe a little bit. But I cannot blame them for my life's circumstances. Put it this way. A telemarketer has never called me to tell me my father is dying and I need to get to the hospital (Hell, my sister got the call in Seattle, got up and got on the first plane she could find to be there for his passing. She made it in plenty of time. I have no room to complain had I wanted to!) and for that I am thankful to the telemarketer. Or the customer who calls at midnight to see what our business hours are (which are clearly posted on the website). All of that is immaterial.

Quote:
I just take issue with the fact that certain people think just because they have a certain job that it automatically means they are to be given respect.

My first CO told me that when it comes to the officers and senior NCOs, "you don't have to respect the man, but you will respect the rank". I apply the same to LE. I will always respect the badge, but I'll wait to see if the person wearing it is deserving of respect.
Your first CO was right. I'm not so sure about the badge in some jurisdictions though. I'll respect the authority they have for my own safety though.

Sorry about the long post. (typed on my smartphone without a keypad.......)

NOT!!!!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #1076
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609

Yes, we do earn respect. BUT, how dare anyone demand respect? I don't, I really don't care if I'm respected or not.

More often than not, LEOs, in MY experience, tend to lose the respect they earn by their actions, and there is no one to blame but themselves. I also don't agree with cop bashing, but if it is a specific incident that is being discussed, and not a broad statement.. so be it. And yes, the actions of a few can tarnish people's respect for a group.
It was not a specific incident. I do not demand respect. I was not demanding respect in any post I have posted. What I was responding to was sheer cop/military bashing. I cant speak for the military guys. I've been in LE for my entire adult life. LEOs "lose respect" collectively when ONE guy out of 700,000 makes a mistake or is a jerk. Just because some schmuck in Chicago got out of line at the end of a heavily edited 5 minute long brutal fight which was initiated by the subject not the officer, does not mean that *I* am an inherently brutal person. Or that the other 699,999 officers in the US are inherently brutal people.

That's the "problem" with "LEOs." There are 700,000 of us, not including MPs. And people love to paint all 700,000 of us AND the MPs with the color of the latest "scandal" that the news media digs up.

Worst case? 1 guy was a jerk, made a lot of mistakes and got fired for it. Everyone looks at me through the lense of the jerk. They even ask me "are you going to do X like officer X in new york city did?"

Usual case? The media has a slow news day and goes trolling for the worst possible stupid news it can get. And anything they can find on cops is "golden." I worked part time at a TV station. I know this for a fact. They HUNT police like guys on here hunt trophy bucks. They actually edited footage that we released to the public of a subject's violent actions towards us and our response, which was done within our use of force. They edited all the subjects actions out of it and just showed back to back shots of our "brutal use of force."

Once they even did an "investigative report" about how the evil police occasionally park in fire lanes at Walmart. They shoved a microphone in an officers face and asked a series of questions to which he had "no comment." And tried to pretend that because the guy had no comment he must have had no reason to park there. And tried to pretend that it was a "fire hazard."

We park there occasionally because some Walmarts ask us to park there because the visible presence of a unit right by the door tends to deter shoplifters. We park there sometimes because we are responding to a call of something bad going on inside and don't have time to drive around looking for a parking space.

We park there sometimes because we are there to pick up someone who has just been arrested and are liable for their safety and so we do our best to treat them like we would want to be treated and not parade them across the entire parking lot while in handcuffs. Plus the farther they walk in cuffs the more likely they are to trip and sue us for the damage.

If there is a fire, we share a radio system. We will be notified before the fire department gets there. We will move the unit. If we don't, the fire department will use their push bumpers and move it for us. No harm done.

The guy had no comment because we are not allowed to comment to any member of the news media without direct permission from the PR director or the administrators. He had no comment because he parked there during the investigation of a crime and we do not discuss ongoing investigations with anyone. That is also left up to the discretion of PR and the administration. Making a comment can mean getting a suspension or losing a job. Not good.

The result of that? I pull up to a hospital to transport several very sick people we had arrested from the hospital to the prison. I checked out a paddywagon that we use specifically for that. It was pouring down rain. I pulled into a designated "emergency vehicle parking." Which the hospital policy states (among others like EMS) are our vehicles. Especially when we are transporting people to and from the hospital for treatment.

A bunch of jerks call in and complain that there is another unit parked in "a fire lane."

I get a phone call to park somewhere else. Even though the supervisor knew exactly where I was parked and that it was allowed by office and hospital policy.

3 officers, 3 nurses and 3 very sick inmates in cuffs and shackles had to find their way to the unit in the pouring down rain. Why? Because sometimes these idiots paint us all with the same brush. A brush they should really just shove up their kahuna.

Police and clergy are just about the only profession where 1 guy out of 700,000 makes a mistake and the whole world blames the 700,000 for that mistake.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-03-2013 at 06:50 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #1077

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
Pet peeve: people who make a big deal out of labels like "retard." I think those people are retards. I say retard. I have a special needs sister and a special needs sister in law. They don't care if I use the word. So why should I? I've never met a special needs person who was offended by that word UNLESS their parents or teachers taught them to be. If somebody makes my sisters mad they have a large vocabulary of insults including "retard" that they unleash. It's quite amazing really. And their comebacks are even better. Words are wind.
What kills me about the PC police, crying that the word "retard" is offensive, is that retard is the clinical definition of a mental handicap!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #1078

My pet peeve for the day: having to go into work knowing I won't see a paycheck until the idiots "running" our country pull their heads out of their nether regions and pass a budget.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #1079

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

That sucks. If I'm not getting paid .... I'm not working plain and simle

Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak
That sucks. If I'm not getting paid .... I'm not working plain and simle
The joys of working for the Federal Government. Since I'm Federal LEO, I'm considered an "excepted" employee, which protects life and property. I will be paid for the days I work, but not until a budget is actually passed. If I have to call in sick or try to take any other kind of paid leave, I won't be paid for it, and will be placed in furlough status. So I actually have to be at my work place in order to be paid. At least that is my general understanding of it. We shall see what happens when payday rolls around. .mad!