People snooping while at work - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > People snooping while at work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 345 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
The main reasons for making booby traps illegal are: 1. If there is nobody in the house when a perp breaks in, then nobody has reason to fear for his/her life. Therefore no justification for deadly force. 2. Some innocent person (you) could be crippled, maimed, or killed by a booby trap that you forget to disarm before you enter the house.

That would be why I find it only a hair on the stupid side of things. I feel a person should be able to do what ever they feel inside of their own home as long as it doesn't effect anyone on the outside, wit hint Eason of course.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #42

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Another thing you might try is talking to your landlord about your concerns...

I gotta figure if I was renting a property, I'd be very willing to make some security upgrades as long as it didn't break the bank...

You might even be able to get the money you spend knocked off your rent as well if he is onboard with the idea...

Best of luck...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #43
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6838 Times on 3732 Posts
Likes Given: 13481

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

I gotta figure if I was renting a property, I'd be very willing to make some security upgrades as long as it didn't break the bank...

You might even be able to get the money you spend knocked off your rent as well if he is onboard with the idea...

Best of luck...
That is the best idea yet.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #44

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter
i would tie a damn trip flare to that gate that would scare the bejeezus outta someone. Personally I like the WiFi cameras they are cheap, can be mounted anywhere you can get a wifi signal to and you can monitor it at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
A $40 net cam works just as well! I had a situation like this in early 1988. just off a crappy Marriage and losing My Dad,..I moved into a basement apt. in a private house belonging to a ret. Fireman. What an azz he was. He came into my apt. to "use the bathroom" he claimed, when I caught him. I had to play "possum" one day, and called the police. My best answer was to move out, but he had a huge fine to pay to avoid jail, and he was lucky I knew it was him using his "key" and he didn't get shot for tresspassing.
Wish I had Internet to use something like this. Only Internet I really have is off my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

Best of luck...
I know how she is and she'd tell me screw holes for cam mounts are ok but it's not her problem if there's people snooping around.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #45

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I bought a 70$ deer camera from walmart and it turned out to b a complete piece of ****. My work pays out quarterly bonuses and I'm thinking about using it to buy one of the night hawk or what ever camera sets walmart carries. It's 300$ and has 4 cameras with a 500 gig dvr. Wish I could just find a room mate or lady fried to stay here while I'm at work, seems cheaper lol.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #46

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
Didn't know where to put this really but I've been having some problems with finding evidence and having suspicions that somebody is snooping around my place while I'm gone. I work night shift, clock n at 6pm and get out between 3:30 and 5:30am depending on overtime and I live alone. I live in a duplex with others around but mine is a little ways off from the others and my Nieghbor is never home. Mine and his houses are easy targets and I'm coming to you guys for help after "they" made another attempt to scope out the place or break n while I was at work tonight. I only have 2 doors with the front well lit and rear an easy target. I'm just at a loss for ideas of what to do. Im not allowed to have dogs and really don't have the cash to up and buy a 500+$ camera security set. I have my daily driver truck and a camaro that sits most of the time so it's easy to tell when I'm gone. I don't know what to do. I just know if I don't do something soon these guys are going to go from peaking through windows to breaking them. What do you guys recommend to keep these guys away? I don't feel like my things are safe when I leave anymore

No reason to waste $$ on a fancy camera, that'll just leave you with a slide show of someone stealing your stuff. I've got 2 words for you punji-pit I'm sure your problems nothing a little sharpened bamboo with poo on it won't fix in a jiffy

Also do some research I suggest the "home alone" series of movies, some great little boobie traps to spring on potential burglars and a holiday classic!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #47

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I work with a LOT of criminals, and I've had conversations with them about why they chose certain places to rob over others. They all say roughly the same things:

#1 - Low light, or no light and lots of shadows and/or concealing bushes or trees.
#2 - Obviously unconcerned neighbors (they can loiter around and no one says anything to them).
#3 - No obvious signs of a security system (the kind that notifies authorities).
#4 - No dogs.
#5 - Visible goodies through windows or in the yard (unavoidable if they stake you out and use binoculars whenever you open a door or window).

What I'd suggest is immediately trim back any bushes or trees to open sight-lines to the road if you can. Remove anything you can that offers concealment. Privacy fences give you privacy from your neighbors, but they also allow a criminal all the shielding he needs to break into your house unobserved. Criminals LOVE privacy fences!

Replace your porch light(s) with a motion sensor dual-head flood light. You can find them at wal-mart for less than $20 for the cheapies to $40 for some nicer looking ones, and they're super simple to install as long as you remember to turn off the breaker .

Go on Amazon or E-bay and buy some REAL security company stickers. You can usually find them relatively cheap. You want a real companies stickers so if a would-be crook calls the number on the sticker, a real company answers. If you really had a security system, the company would sticker every window, so do the same. Look for Monitronics or ADT stickers or some other company that's actually in business (Brinks is NOT anymore). If you want to add another level, find an old keypad for whatever company matches your stickers and screw it to the wall near the door like a real one and attach one of those door jamb squeelers to your door, they have them at wal-mart for $10-ish bucks each or on e-bay too. If you want to go all-out, you can get one of those fake TV lights or cameras.

Remember that criminals are NOT stupid, they're just people with less morals than you or I. If the sticker looks fake, or the camera is chintzy, they'll know they are bogus. If you get fake security, make darn sure it looks as legit as you possible can...and NEVER tell ANYONE your dirty little secret! A substantial amount of burglars started out by robbing their friends and family.

If you get 2 decent lights, some door/window squeelers, and 10 stickers you would likely deter most amateur thieves all for about $50 to $75. Look at it this way, if $75 saves you replacing all of your stuff, it's a cheap price to pay...even if it means living off ramen for a while!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #48
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1732 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Light: Exterior Motion, Timer on interior
Noise: Radio or TV
Motion: Fan pointed on closed curtain
Dog: a real one
Perimeter clean and secured.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #49
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6838 Times on 3732 Posts
Likes Given: 13481

I thought about a reciprocating fan blowing the drape; but nobody has drapes anymore. They all have blinds. Blinds don't blow.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #50
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1732 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I thought about a reciprocating fan blowing the drape; but nobody has drapes anymore. They all have blinds. Blinds don't blow.
We have a few curtains. But then again, I am old and cheap.

Maybe some curtains are in order for this guy.
How about a mannequin with a (realistic looking toy) rifle across it's lap watching TV!

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
MisterMcCool Likes This