Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > People snooping while at work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 28 Posts

I had several instances of vandalism at my place so I put up a dummy CCTV camera. The vandalism stopped immediately. It looks real and is essentially a real camera housing minus the internals, it even has a little red light the blinks every once in a while. Several people have commented on my expensive looking security system.....nobody knows it's not real.

All you need is a deterrent. Even a couple of cheap security signs will do the trick. You can get them cheap from amazon stating that you have a camera or an alarm system. It's better than nothing and worked for me.

Put yourself in the mind if a potential intruder and look for ways into your apartment then secure those entry points. This can be done cheaply for instance I had a large sash style window with a wood frame and one lock that seemed to be a weak point. So I put a couple of thick screws into the wood frame restricting the window so it could only open a few inches...enough for fresh air but not enough for anybody to climb through. Well a few weeks later I heard a bump in the night so I got up and checked the place out...nothing....the next morning in the daylight I felt a cold chill and realized that that window was open by an inch and I know I closed and locked it. On closer inspection the lock had been slipped and with the sun shining in I could see finger prints on the outside of the window where they tried to slide the window open....the screws did their job.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbulldog View Post
. . . . All you need is a deterrent. Even a couple of cheap security signs will do the trick. . . .
I like this sign:
825bb3d06f67879d7ed558eff50f9b76.jpg  

Last edited by Vincine; 11-14-2013 at 05:33 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #23

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Wireless camera on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00452V66G/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1384453200&sr=8-13&pi=SY200

$39 is cheap

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Have you thought about "pull string firecrackers"?

Set up correctly they will warn if someone comes in too close (think claymore).
http://www.karatemart.com/ninja-tripwire-alarms

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

orangello Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Perps have the rights................

Set up nail boards, the same as they use for nosey bears...............Wait till we have the same as those in the news today, you'll change your mind..........Yes I know I'll do time if i set up the shot gun. Or any thing else. Thats the problem. your not safe in your own home no matter what.......YOU GO TO JAIL FOR FIRING A WARNING SHOT....................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

orangello Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I would get 2 dummy cameras, 2 cheap radioshack door alarms, a big sticker with a local alarm company's logo and a sign off of amazon on both doors that says this premises monitored 24/7 by CCTV cameras. Or, on my off days I would park my truck around the corner and hide in my house and wait.

Also raking the dirt is a great idea! If someone is "trying" to get in your house, chances are its kids being stupid.

Anyone determined will break a window or kick a door in.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-14-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #27

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
You can get a motion light in front and and back Tell the police and see if they will patrol the neighborhood or send a friend or family over in the evening a couple times a week. Build a strong door on a closet and lock it for valuables. Can you move to a safer area?
This place is close to work and I thought it was generally a safe area. I rent so there's not a lot of things I wanna do that I can't take with me when I move

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
How do you know someone is snooping around your place while you're at work?
Well one time I caught a guy when I came home from work early. Since there's so many houses I could've never proved he was actually at MY house. After he had no explanation of what he was doing I pulled my coat off my gp100 and he bailed. Other times I've just noticed stuff like my back gate open, someone even left my truck door open but didn't take anything. Just last night I was checking my mail when I heard leaves moving and a cat took off like it got kicked or stepped on. I said hey with a loud stern voice and heard my back gate crash. I didn't have a flashlight so I hurried and unlocked my front door ran to the back and kicked on the back light as I was opening the door. My gate was open and there was an old door i had leaning against my bedroom window that had been knocked down and the screen for the window is on the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
Rake the soil, or put fresh mulch by your windows to see if its human footprints or those pesky feral cats.
good idea all though I'm pretty confident it's a person

Old 11-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #28

Here's out my front window towards the entrance and towards the rest of the duplex's

image-751456601.jpg   image-3536644568.jpg  

Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #29

Here's my microscopic back porch and the door that was leaning up against the window I took this pic from

image-2060540884.jpg   image-4039338412.jpg  

Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 11007

Padlock the gate.

No offense and none taken