Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > People snooping while at work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default People snooping while at work

Didn't know where to put this really but I've been having some problems with finding evidence and having suspicions that somebody is snooping around my place while I'm gone. I work night shift, clock n at 6pm and get out between 3:30 and 5:30am depending on overtime and I live alone. I live in a duplex with others around but mine is a little ways off from the others and my Nieghbor is never home. Mine and his houses are easy targets and I'm coming to you guys for help after "they" made another attempt to scope out the place or break n while I was at work tonight. I only have 2 doors with the front well lit and rear an easy target. I'm just at a loss for ideas of what to do. Im not allowed to have dogs and really don't have the cash to up and buy a 500+$ camera security set. I have my daily driver truck and a camaro that sits most of the time so it's easy to tell when I'm gone. I don't know what to do. I just know if I don't do something soon these guys are going to go from peaking through windows to breaking them. What do you guys recommend to keep these guys away? I don't feel like my things are safe when I leave anymore

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know you said you don't want to want to spend money on a camera system, but why not buy something like a Gopro or Sony Action Cam? Both of those can be either set on a table or stuck to a surface that's less obvious. If you don't see anyone, you've still got a cool little camera.

I've stock my Gopro on my car and got up to about 80MPH with no worries of it coming off its mount. There's also attachment to stick it on a picatiny rail, there's lots of extra uses for it afterwards.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
I know you said you don't want to want to spend money on a camera system, but why not buy something like a Gopro or Sony Action Cam? Both of those can be either set on a table or stuck to a surface that's less obvious. If you don't see anyone, you've still got a cool little camera.

I've stock my Gopro on my car and got up to about 80MPH with no worries of it coming off its mount. There's also attachment to stick it on a picatiny rail, there's lots of extra uses for it afterwards.
I considered something like deer cameras but my problem is I barely afford hobbies after bills, food and gas. Something like that would take a while for me to save for and I'm worried they'll b back as soon as I leave for work again. I wish I could afford a nice camera set

Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #4

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, that makes things tougher. Aside from the whole "get someone to watch your house for you" suggestion, I can't really think of much else that could be done.

Do you own anything that already has the ability to record video? If so, you could always set that up facing where you think someone is possibly looking in from?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6027 Times on 3300 Posts
Likes Given: 11516

Dollar Tree has these cheap, crappy alarms for a buck. They work. Better than nothing. You could get a timer to make a lamp come on at random times. Anything to spook a burglar.
Cameras capture evidence of the burglary. They don't prevent it. They don't even get your stuff back. The thief would likely take the camera too. At best, you would have photos for your scrapbook of some jackass carting away your possessions.

image-2718676116.jpg  

Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
Well, that makes things tougher. Aside from the whole "get someone to watch your house for you" suggestion, I can't really think of much else that could be done.

Do you own anything that already has the ability to record video? If so, you could always set that up facing where you think someone is possibly looking in from?
Only thing like that would be my phone which is locked in my glove box while I'm at work. It's just a ****ty scenario because both my closest neighbors are about 30 yards away on both sides and there's a huge fence between my back yard and their yard and on the front side is an elderly couple that's asleep while I'm at work. Here's a pic out my front window covering the other homes n my complex and my 2 vehicles and a pic out my back window covering my 3 cubic inch back porch lol. On the other side of that fence is anther home. Tomorrow I intend on setting some things up to tell if it's animals, wind, or human moving stuff around. Hopefully I will b able to afford at least one deer camera out of
This weeks check to get an idea of what's going on while I'm gone. It just sucks when you come home and hear noises that make you unholster and clear the property. It's not a good feeling....
image-2477494526.jpg   image-806480628.jpg  

Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92

Only thing like that would be my phone which is locked in my glove box while I'm at work. It's just a ****ty scenario because both my closest neighbors are about 30 yards away on both sides and there's a huge fence between my back yard and their yard and on the front side is an elderly couple that's asleep while I'm at work. Here's a pic out my front window covering the other homes n my complex and my 2 vehicles and a pic out my back window covering my 3 cubic inch back porch lol. On the other side of that fence is anther home. Tomorrow I intend on setting some things up to tell if it's animals, wind, or human moving stuff around. Hopefully I will b able to afford at least one deer camera out of
This weeks check to get an idea of what's going on while I'm gone. It just sucks when you come home and hear noises that make you unholster and clear the property. It's not a good feeling....
Wow those a crappy pics. I'll get more this afternoon...

Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #8

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

You can get a motion light in front and and back Tell the police and see if they will patrol the neighborhood or send a friend or family over in the evening a couple times a week. Build a strong door on a closet and lock it for valuables. Can you move to a safer area?

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #9

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Game cameras are not a bad idea for at least figuring out if people are actually coming onto the property while you are gone. The Dollar Tree door alarms are not a bad idea either.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 1254 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Default Peeka boo..............

A 12 ga. loaded with buck shot wired to the back door always works.....

**** FROM THE MODERATOR **** I'm going to leave this post as a really good example of what not to suggest on FTF. Although meant in jest, this is blatantly illegal and will get you prosecuted. For any newbies, posts like this will be deleted.

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Last edited by ScottA; 11-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.
People Like This