Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pellet Stove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Pellet Stove

I heat my basement (man cave) with a pellet stove. I just got a ton of pellets and fired the stove up for the first time of the year just to make sure it was working. I reckon I'm ready to go but I will go get another ton just so I have enough for the whole winter.

20131118_162807.jpg   20131118_162705.jpg   20131118_162648.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My dad goes through 4-5 tons a year depending on the winter.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Got one myself. Will post pic in morning.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #4

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I was thinking about one but opted for a wood burner. The major reasons were the requirement of power and maintenance of a pellet stove.

I'm thinking of putting one in my basement so I'm curious what others have to say about their pellet stoves.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

The maintenance my dad goes through is emptying out the ash once every week or two. And then a once a year maintenance where he takes it apart and cleans everything out really good and oils the turbine fan and auger. The yearly maintenance he does takes him about an 1-1.5 hours. Cleaning out the ash every week or two takes 10 minutes.

Major maintenance that he has had to do on his pellet stove has been a new control panel and a new blower motor, but those parts I think lasted him 10-12 years.

He is a heavy user, obviously, with the 4-5 tons he uses every year. He has had good luck with his Whitfield, but they are a higher end pellet stove (at least they were when he bought his 18 years ago.

Last edited by FishinLuke; 11-18-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Just curious~ Can you burn the pellets in a regular wood stove. And how much does a ton of pellets cost?
In addition if not regarding the wood stove question. Who handles the pellet stoves?
One last question. Are they free standing I do not see a stove pipe on them?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 11-18-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Just curious~ Can you burn the pellets in a regular wood stove. And how much does a ton of pellets cost?
In addition if not regarding the wood stove question. Who handles the pellet stoves?
One last question. Are they free standing I do not see a stove pipe on them?
To answer your questions Sniper, I don't think it would be pratical to burn the pellets in a wood stove. The pellets go in a hopper and are fed as needed by an auger where they drop into a kinda cup in the bottom of the firebox and are lit by an electric igniter. The stove runs off a thermostat just like my gas heating system. When the temperature in the basement gets up to 67 degrees where I ususally keep it set, then the stove stops feeding pellets and the fire goes out. When the temp. drops a couple degrees below set point the stove starts feeding pellets and the igniter starts the fire back up. My stove will hold two bags of pellets which are 40 lbs. each. Because I heat my ground floor with gas the temperature in the basement never drops below about 55 degrees so my stove doesn't have to work as hard as it would if it was my main heating source. A bag of pellets will last me for around 24 hours depending on the outside temperature so one fill will run for about 2 days. I get my pellets at either Lowes or Tractor Supply and the ton I just bought was $280 including sales tax. I like to get all the pellets I will need at the first of the winter because if you run out near spring they can be had to find as no stores want to store them over the summer. Two tons for me will be more than enough. The stoves are more expensive than wood burners because of all the extra mechanics and electronics involved. My stove is one of the higher end models and I think it was between $4k and $5k three years ago. It came from a place called "Hearth and Home" which I think is a chain but around here most any place that sales wood stoves and inserts handle pellet stoves. The stove does have to be vented to the outside but it doesn't need a chimney. Just a vent kinda like a dryer vent. I'll include a picture of mine. Anyway I love mine and would buy it all over again. Just as an aside, the stove can also be set to burn corn, wheat, sunflower seeds, switchgrass pellets or cherry pits if needed for whatever thats worth and I think not much. Also if the power goes off you can run the stove off a car battery if you can figure a way to keep the battery charged.

www.quadrafire.com/Products/MT-Vernon-AE-Pellet-Stove.aspx
20131119_083150.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 11-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #8

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I almost bought a Mt Vernon instead of my soapstone stove. The installed cost was the same.
I have not seen the dryer vent option here. All pipes are 3" diameter and have to have a rise a foot or two outside.
I think the Mt Vernon is overkill for my 1k sq ft basement. Pellet does seem to be a good choice for it though. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I pay 300 to 400 euros a year compare to 5000+ a year others pay for oil. The stove is connected to floor heating for my two story house. It also heats my water. When the sun is out, I heat my water with solar power.

001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I pay 300 to 400 euros a year compare to 5000+ a year others pay for oil. The stove is connected to floor heating for my two story house. It also heats my water. When the sun is out, I heat my water with solar power.
What does the boiler run off of? What did the boiler cost you, not the piping but just the boiler?