Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Pellet or .22 short? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/pellet-22-short-85269/)

1old0311 02-26-2013 11:34 PM

Pellet or .22 short?

Like a lot of people I live in the 'burbs but love to shoot. I can get a few rounds off without the neighbors calling the LEO's but would like to shoot a bit more. Is a .22 short louder than a pellet gun? All the 'experts:rolleyes::rolleyes:' at the LGS give me different answers. Anyone here know? Thanks.

dblcrona 02-26-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1old0311
Like a lot of people I live in the 'burbs but love to shoot. I can get a few rounds off without the neighbors calling the LEO's but would like to shoot a bit more. Is a .22 short louder than a pellet gun? All the 'experts:rolleyes::rolleyes:' at the LGS give me different answers. Anyone here know? Thanks.

A .22 short will definately be louder than a pellet gun. There are many pellet guns on the market today with built in "supressors" that make them really quiet. Gamo makes several that are advertised as being very quiet. I don't own a Gamo so I can't speak from experience. I do own a Benjamin .22 cal air rifle which is powered by a nitro piston and I think it is very quiet. If you are trying to keep the neighbors happy then stick with the pellet gun. That being said, if you live in a town where shooting is prohibited, that probably includes pellet guns. You could get in just as much trouble either way if you get caught.

c3shooter 02-26-2013 11:43 PM

Depends on the pellet gun, and which .22 short.

However, get a bolt action .22 rifle, and some CCI CB Longs. Shape of a .22 LR, powder load of a CB cap. Only thing quieter is Aguila Colibri rounds. You will hear the firing pin hit the cartridge. Really.

1old0311 02-27-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1155682)
Depends on the pellet gun, and which .22 short.

However, get a bolt action .22 rifle, and some CCI CB Longs. Shape of a .22 LR, powder load of a CB cap. Only thing quieter is Aguila Colibri rounds. You will hear the firing pin hit the cartridge. Really.

I got a few boxes of CCI Quiet .22LR at 710 fps that is pretty quiet in my Henry .22 lever action, just wondering if there was anything quieter.

sniper762 02-27-2013 01:30 AM

dont matter about the noise level. a .22 rifle is a FIREARM thus restricted by law.........a pellet gun is not (in most places unrestricted)

1old0311 02-27-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 1155841)
dont matter about the noise level. a .22 rifle is a FIREARM thus restricted by law.........a pellet gun is not (in most places unrestricted)

Very true, and if a LEO did happen to drop by the pucker factor would be a lot less with me holding a break action pellet gun. Good point.

gunlinn 02-27-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1old0311

I got a few boxes of CCI Quiet .22LR at 710 fps that is pretty quiet in my Henry .22 lever action, just wondering if there was anything quieter.

I have those too.. Very quiet from a 22 lr or short cb.. But I've shot 22 cal pellet rifles that are half the noise of any 22 rimfire. Keeping that in mind, my .177 gamo whisper deluxe with silencer shoots 1200 fps and sounds almost as loud as a standard 22 lr

FullautoUSA 02-27-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblcrona

A .22 short will definately be louder than a pellet gun. There are many pellet guns on the market today with built in "supressors" that make them really quiet. Gamo makes several that are advertised as being very quiet. I don't own a Gamo so I can't speak from experience. I do own a Benjamin .22 cal air rifle which is powered by a nitro piston and I think it is very quiet. If you are trying to keep the neighbors happy then stick with the pellet gun. That being said, if you live in a town where shooting is prohibited, that probably includes pellet guns. You could get in just as much trouble either way if you get caught.

I have a Gamo with a "suppressor", it doesn't really seem to do much, on fact it recoils about as much as a .22

1old0311 02-27-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunlinn (Post 1155887)
I have those too.. Very quiet from a 22 lr or short cb.. But I've shot 22 cal pellet rifles that are half the noise of any 22 rimfire. Keeping that in mind, my .177 gamo whisper deluxe with silencer shoots 1200 fps and sounds almost as loud as a standard 22 lr

I probably should just step up and get a 'can' for one of my .22's BUT with the $200 stamp, $300-$400 can, and getting a barrel threaded that is the price of a nice firearm.:(:(

cgersty 02-27-2013 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a gamo varmint hunter hp, it is .177 and shoots 1400fps with pba ammo, it has a Hell of a crack to it, with regular lead pellets ots quieted down a bit but its still fairly loud, I like the super colibris they are pretty quiet, I live in the sticks on almost 200 acres so the noise doesn't play a factor for me, but the colibris are quieter by far than my pellet gun is.

Attachment 87873