Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Paying in Pennies... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/paying-pennies-52915/)

Trez 12-02-2011 05:33 PM

Paying in Pennies...

Some collage kids pay their fine 8,800 pennies! Apparently no "legal tender" can be refused... The police were called and told the business that they would be breaking federal law if they did not accept the pennies!! :eek:

Axxe55 12-02-2011 05:47 PM

cool! :D perfectly legal!

texaswoodworker 12-02-2011 06:07 PM

That a good way to get back at them for towing the car. I would hate to be the guy who has to count those pennies. :D

mrm14 12-02-2011 06:29 PM

I would hate to be the person counting those pennies as well. No wonder the woman tried to get out of it by saying she wouldn't take them unwrapped.

texaswoodworker 12-02-2011 06:31 PM

If I was her, I would have just accepted them and told the boss if there was anything missing, I would personally pay the rest of it. I would rather pay a few dollars, than count all those pennies.

fmj 12-02-2011 07:07 PM

BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREATNESS!!!

"Legal tender for all debts public and private"

bkt 12-02-2011 07:07 PM

That has given me a wonderful idea how I can pay anything I might owe for income tax this next April. So happens I have a crapton of pennies....

trip286 12-02-2011 07:13 PM

I went through this while buying gas one time. They have to accept it, but one thing they can do is refuse to count it and have you count it out to them. In my case, I didn't mind, I had to have gas.

Sniper03 12-02-2011 07:27 PM

Trez,

That was great! But these kids were the perfect example of what is wrong with America~ Stupidity! Evidently they do not have any respect or responsibility or have not been taught! Tying various officers up which is our tax dollars at work. And for their prank and keeping them from more important responsibilities. The kid even referred to the pennies on one occasion as she will not even accept rolled dollar bills. " He obviously was about a sharp as the Leading Edge of a Bowling Ball"! :D And one said that they would have to get O involved! God forbid as good as he is with the American budget issues!Then the issue that the towing company was either called by the Police or who ever, not the towing company's fault! And finally it made for an entertaining video. But by law the federal government is who "must" accept all forms of legal tender. But by law a merchant who sells products or services are permitted to specify which legal tender they will accept. Just to explain they have every right under the law to refuse pennies if they choose. For example when you go into a Quick Stop some will advise we do not take anything larger than $20.00 Bills. No hundreds or fifties for example. Not that credit cards are legal tender but many do not take American Express or Discover for example, But do take Master Card or Visa. Or a sign that advises no checks or debit cards. I probably would have messed with them myself. And advised since I have other job responsibilities and would be glad to accept the pennies! ;) He could either take them to a bank and have them wrapped there and return, or it would take me a couple of days to have the time to count them to assure the correct amount was there and he could return in two days to get his car out. Plus two more days storage. Perfectly legal! Anyway the video was a hoot! I don't deal with S.A kids very well.
It would be game on!

jon1992d 12-03-2011 12:15 AM

I wonder how many of them are in the occupy movement?