Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pawn shops-are they a source of good gun deals?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default Pawn shops-are they a source of good gun deals?

I would like experiences of folks buying guns at pawn shops and getting a good deal on price for decent used firearms.
I recently been thinking of doing just that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4632 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 4763

Thats a good question, if you were asking about selling a weapon, a pawn broker would never be the place I would suggest doing that but buying is a whole different story.

Buyer beware but yes, some of the best deals can come from those who dont specialize in firearms because often, they havent a clue exactly what they have. Just remember, its not a gun store so the person your buying from just bought or sold a ring, a TV and a painting by a movie star before they tried to sell you the boomy thing in the rack behind them. If you cannot prove the safety and proper function of it, they likely cant either (or dont really care to).

That said, great deals can be had but youve got to know what your buying and exactly what your paying for otherwise it may not be worth the spot scrap prices at the recyclers. If you really arent sure, call a friend who does know the good, bad and the Ugly about Firearms otherwise you might get a surprise you werent hoping for, a good deal on a hand-grenade that looks like a gun.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 685 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Pawn shops are all about moving products. They don't want things to sit in the display case. Also realize they will never be insulted with any offer that you make and will always comeback with a counter offer.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Yes --- the same comments can be made concerning buying any used gun from any source. You have no guaranty of quality.
But, of course, this is how the rest of the world works. Example - used car dealer. It's not that they are necessarily bad - but there are no guarantees.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Two years ago I would have said NO!!
Every pawn shop I have been in sells used beat up guns at new list price.
About a year or so ago I stopped at a local pawn and spotted a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk with Burris 3-12 scope, I asked to see it. Magnaport had cut those awful slots in the barrel but also had slicked up the action.
I walked out of the store carrying the Ruger in a heavy aluminum case and had given them $365 of my hard earned cash... this gun looks new and was very clean

I now am not afraid to stop at a pawn shop when gun shopping!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4632 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 4763

Thats all about that buyer beware thing, if you know exactly what your looking at and can accurately judge its value, you can get awesome deals. Hell, an old rust bucket might be worth a fortune for the stock or bolt alone but unless your truly aware, you could be putting your life or at least your wallet in a bad position.

A Vietnam Vet friend of mine at the diner we have breakfast showed me a picture he had on his cell phone he took 2 days ago but couldnt send cause he doesnt have a data plan. A guy he knew got a brand new single shot bolt 30-06 for his wife, closeout from Cabellas or Gander Mtn for $100, he's lucky to live to tell about it. It had split the barrel like a cartoon of Elmer Fudd, swear to god, this guy doesnt BS. This was for real, the third shot lodged 3/4 the way down the barrel and the guy said he didnt know, the next bullet split the thing in half, I think he said it was an HKA or something like that. Manufacturer has promised to replace it, it splayed 12" left and right of center, the box he shipped it in was enormous! Ive heard of Damascus barrels unwinding or exploding but this looked like a mill had split it down the center and a pipe bender had turned it 90 degrees left and right.

I guess even new dont fix stupid...

Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 160

The price tag on the guns in pawn shops will drive you out the door. That is a wish list for the moron who pays sticker on new cars. Prices are nbegotiable. Around here there must be a BUNCH of morons as the pawn shops do not wiggle much off the sticker price. They must expect the next customer to be that moron.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

Liked 381 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

I bought a nice GP100 6 inch blued at a pawn shop.
But 6 months ago they also tried to sell me a ancient, barely functioing Armalite for 950 dollars

Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Liked 381 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Around here there must be a BUNCH of morons as the pawn shops do not wiggle much off the sticker price. They must expect the next customer to be that moron.
Quoted for truth.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

Liked 2152 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Around here pawn shop prices vary-You can't find the "deals" that used to be common- Still good deals now & again but you have to visit them often-The "good" deals go fast-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This