Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Parents to Sue Maker of Metal Baseball Bats Over Son's Injury (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/parents-sue-maker-metal-baseball-bats-over-sons-injury-4490/)

sculker 05-17-2008 10:12 PM

Parents to Sue Maker of Metal Baseball Bats Over Son's Injury

Parents to Sue Maker of Metal Baseball Bats Over Son's Injury

Saturday , May 17, 2008

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

WAYNE, N.J.
A New Jersey couple, whose son was struck in the chest with a line drive, is planning to sue the maker of a metal baseball bat used in the game.

Two years ago, Steven Domalewski was pitching when the ball slammed into his chest and stopped his heart. He was resuscitated but now has brain damage and is severely disabled.

The family contends metal baseball bats are inherently unsafe for youth games because the ball comes off them much faster than from wooden bats. The lawsuit will also be filed against Little League Baseball and a sporting goods chain that sold the bat.

An attorney says Domalewski will need millions of dollars worth of medical care for the rest of his life.

The bat maker says while it sympathizes with Steven and his family, the bat is not to blame for the injury.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356505,00.html

Dillinger 05-18-2008 12:09 AM

The trend of the sue happy nation continues. There are no "accidents" anymore, someone is always responsible, and that someone is somehow responsible for you living out the rest of your days in the best possible of conditions.

While I am sorry for the kid and his parents, I do not agree that the bat maker is responsible any more than I agree that the manufacturer of the Bushmaster rifle used by those two crack pots shooters ( I refuse to term then as the media did with the Sierra designation ) in D.C. was responsible.

The beginning of the end in this battle was begun when that idiot owner from Bulleye's Shooting Supply, in Tacoma Washington where the AR in question was sold "out the back door" agreed to settle the victims lawsuit for the balance of his insurance policy, a ridiculous sum of $10 Million.

JD

notdku 05-18-2008 01:41 AM

Amazing that people are so foolish. I hope they don't settle out of court.

fapprez 05-18-2008 02:11 AM

Don't the parents have to sign a waiver or something? Obviously they would know of the inherent risks of playing a sport. There is not ONE single "sport" existing that has no risk of injury. Hell, you can't play air hockey without risking a broken finger! This is just some lame ass's attempt at getting rich without having to do anything. Sure it sucks for the kid, and I truly do feel bad for the child and the parents but the parents SHOULD have known that this was a possible outcome, even if it is a rare one.

Zappa 05-18-2008 02:51 PM

This is akin to suing GM for making cars that are too fast, because the driver of the Buick that hit you was speeding.

mrwatch 05-18-2008 06:14 PM

waivers?

I feel sorry for the child but the parents should not win. As for signing wavers they don't always stand up in court. Drag race strips have lost.

h&k bigdaddydieseldan 05-18-2008 09:05 PM

This is just a waste of the courts time to many gosh dang sue happy people in this country :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

GlenJohnson 05-18-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Two years ago, Steven Domalewski was pitching when the ball slammed into his chest and stopped his heart. He was resuscitated but now has brain damage and is severely disabled.
Let's see, they could have sued the vitamin maker of the person who was up to bat, they could have sued the person that resuscitated him, they could have sued the maker of the baseball, it's just endless. How about suing the trial lawyers that make this possible?:mad:

c3shooter 05-19-2008 12:02 AM

Lawsuits seem to follow the principle of the shotgun- put enuff pellets in the air, you will hit something. As an old firend says "Oh Lord- they cut down the trees, and left the monkeys!" Now if y'all will excuse me, have to go work on my lawsuit against Sarah Lee for making me fat- It's all her fault, y'know.....

hkusp45 05-19-2008 03:00 AM

Typical a hole parents that blame everyone else for their problems. They don't want to think about the fact that if they didn't let the kid play the accident wouldn't have happened in the first place. That blame everyone else attitude pisses me off!:mad: