Pararescue - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Pararescue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Let me explain something about a "Guaranteed Job" from a recruiter. You are guaranteed the opportunity to go to training for that job. If you fail the training and Pararescue has a very high failure rate then the military decides what job you will do for the rest of your contract. You will most likely become SP (Security Forces).

If you want it then go for it but if there is any doubt in your mind choose another job you want to do and go for it. Combat Control, Pararescue are two of the few jobs in the Air Force where they try to fail you in traininig because of the nature of the job. Also I believe there are officers in Pararescue now.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #22

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

As many of you have said, it's 2 years training in a style similar to the SEALs where they initially try to make you drop out or fail and then it moves on to the technical aspects (However SERE is similar to the first). It'd then be a 4 year deployment.

Vae Victis

Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Hey, wasn't there a Kevin Costner movie about this? edit * I was close. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian_(2006_film)

But seriously Ploof, what Yunus said about what happens if you don't make the cut. There trainers are almost certainly the premier experts at determining who should or should not be doing that job; if you don't mind the work that you would get if you don't make it and do find it drawing you, you could rely on them for the final decision with a good bit of faith in their ability to mold you or move you on to something else. IOW, if you want it, go for it; they will wash you out if you don't belong.

That said, i personally do not like swimming in the ocean or in cold water.

Last edited by orangello; 07-19-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #24

I watched some footage of their training, and it gave my ego an erection. Not sure if I'd be up for 30 HALO jumps to qualify though. The recruiter called again and switched me to another recruiter who will call tomorrow, but apparently if I didn't qualify for Pararescue, I personally would have a high chance of being placed into another Special Operations group within the Air Force as they don't have many applicants currently.

Vae Victis

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Special Forces takes a special kind of person to excel in. I have a friend that I served in the Marines with who went on to join the Army after his enlistment in the Corps, he is now a member of their Special Forces. He looks the part too...big beard, insanely fit, cool weapons, all that...but aside from all that obvious stuff is the mental state of these guys...they are as close to unbreakable as it gets. If you have any doubt that you want to jump off the deep end head first and commit 100% to their life style, then you need to try and find another job. I loved being an infantry Marine, but I knew joining my friend and trying to make SF my career was not right for me. Just be sure of whatever you decide.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #26

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Do you still have to be fluent in another language(s) to be eligible to apply to the Green Beret?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #27

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I watched some footage of their training, and it gave my ego an erection. Not sure if I'd be up for 30 HALO jumps to qualify though. The recruiter called again and switched me to another recruiter who will call tomorrow, but apparently if I didn't qualify for Pararescue, I personally would have a high chance of being placed into another Special Operations group within the Air Force as they don't have many applicants currently.
You mean if you fail out of Pararescue training they would place you into another career field that is Special operations? They are lying to you. Ploofy, I was in the Air Force, I personally knew multiple people who did not pass Pararescue training, one guy even failed because of a broken bone. They don't care they reclasses him into AGE(Aerospace Ground Equipment) and others I know were reclasses into Security Forces.

Recruiters have numbers they need to meet, they will lie! They are used car salesmen, if it is not written down on paper it's not true and you will have to sign a paper that says that in order to join the military. My uncle gave me some really good advice and he was an E-9 in National Guard and served for over 30 years, he said, "You know how you can tell a recruiter is lying, his lips are moving".

If you want a guaranteed job that is more likely to actually be guaranteed consider the Air National guard, I have seen contracts for them that guarantee specific jobs and if the person fails they are let go from the contract all together, I have no idea if they would do that for Pararescue but it's worth looking into. Also active duty and guard recruiters are competing against each other for you, don't believe anything negative one tells you about the other. I've been active and now I'm in the Air Guard, if you have questions ask me.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #28

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
You mean if you fail out of Pararescue training they would place you into another career field that is Special operations? They are lying to you. Ploofy, I was in the Air Force, I personally knew multiple people who did not pass Pararescue training, one guy even failed because of a broken bone. They don't care they reclasses him into AGE(Aerospace Ground Equipment) and others I know were reclasses into Security Forces.

Recruiters have numbers they need to meet, they will lie! They are used car salesmen, if it is not written down on paper it's not true and you will have to sign a paper that says that in order to join the military. My uncle gave me some really good advice and he was an E-9 in National Guard and served for over 30 years, he said, "You know how you can tell a recruiter is lying, his lips are moving".

If you want a guaranteed job that is more likely to actually be guaranteed consider the Air National guard, I have seen contracts for them that guarantee specific jobs and if the person fails they are let go from the contract all together, I have no idea if they would do that for Pararescue but it's worth looking into. Also active duty and guard recruiters are competing against each other for you, don't believe anything negative one tells you about the other. I've been active and now I'm in the Air Guard, if you have questions ask me.
Hey now we don't lie! We participate in a campaign of misinformation I can say I never lied to the 92 kids I put in the Corps and with the numbers being filled up for the entire year maybe he isn't lying but as Yunus said, make sure you get it in writing. Recruiters have it good now. With the economy in the tank and a downsizing of the force people are on a year long waiting list for the AF.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Recruiters have it good now. With the economy in the tank and a downsizing of the force people are on a year long waiting list for the AF.
This is why I'd likely be reassigned to a different special operations group. All of the AF SO groups are offering signing bonuses still. Almost none of the people joining the Air Force want to do battlefield positions; those guys all join the Army or the Corps.

Vae Victis

Old 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #30

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
This is why I'd likely be reassigned to a different special operations group. All of the AF SO groups are offering signing bonuses still. Almost none of the people joining the Air Force want to do battlefield positions; those guys all join the Army or the Corps.
Yep cause who associates combat troops to the AF. NOBODY!...lol

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Newest Threads