Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pararescue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2228 Times on 1448 Posts

If I could go back and do it over I would go into the military. On the other hand I don't believe in the last couple wars...

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 456 Times on 283 Posts

Their motto is (we die so others my live.) it is a great honor to but your life on the line for someone else who you have never met. Don't let any POS tell you you shouldn't join the military.

I know we are a voluntary force but I feel that every man should do at least 3 yr. in the military before they either go to collage or just get a job this is just my opinion.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF
Their motto is (we die so others my live.) it is a great honor to but your life on the line for someone else who you have never met. Don't let any POS tell you you shouldn't join the military.

I know we are a voluntary force but I feel that every man should do at least 3 yr. in the military before they either go to collage or just get a job this is just my opinion.
We are a free society. Forcing military service will do a lot of wimps some good, but also create a lot of recruits that don't wanna do their job. My two cents...

Feral cat waterboarder

orangello Likes This 
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #14

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Go talk to the Marine Corps recruiter son, if you wanna be the best Had to throw my .02 in there. I'm a retired Marine got hurt and got medically retired after 13 years in. Anyways, if you feel that PJ's (that's what they call them guys) is what you want to do and what is going to make you happy then go for it. As far as life and death as many others mentioned it is a dangerous job, I've also seen guys come back after 5 tours in a combat zone and wrap themselves around a light pole.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #15

Liked 1766 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

You have to be one tough SOB just to pass the entry requirements for PJ's. When I was in basic all the big tough athletic guys went to try out and all of them came back failed.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

We are a free society. Forcing military service will do a lot of wimps some good, but also create a lot of recruits that don't wanna do their job. My two cents...
You are right about that there are allot of people now that don't want to do their jobs as a civilian to.

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
You have to be one tough SOB just to pass the entry requirements for PJ's. When I was in basic all the big tough athletic guys went to try out and all of them came back failed.
That's because the big tough guys think they can bully and push there weight around and that's why they fail. It's more mental then brute force.

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF

You are right about that there are allot of people now that don't want to do their jobs as a civilian to.
Ain't that the truth!

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Story time. So, an Air Force recruiter called me the other day. I don't know how he got my cell phone since it changed between when I took the ASVAB and now, but he did. We talked, and he told me that I could do anything in the DoD that I want, which I've been told by the Navy and the Army, but I've never really committed beyond thinking it'd be fun. He told me that if I met the physical requirements for Pararescue, it'd be guaranteed that I'd go to training straight from basic. We talked about what it'd take, and I know that I can pass all of them except maybe the swim, but I can certainly practice for that. So, I've decided to ask you, anonymous strangers of the internet, do you think I should go for it? It'd be nice to know things like where I'd live, how long I'd be deployed, and what the death rate is. The recruiter is calling back tomorrow with more info, but I know many of you have relevant experience and it'd be nice to hear what you have to say.
When I went through basic, they came around and asked "Who wants to try to be Para-rescue?" Not knowing what they were talking about, I eventually found out that it required a lot of running and swimming. Neither of which I considered "fun." Don't get me wrong, I wasn't against running & swimming in principle, just not as a source of entertainment. Marathons & 10K runs, Triathlons? If that's your thing, great. I'm more indoorsy. I loaded Bombs & Missiles for a living.
Being a para-rescueman has to be something you want..bad, or you won't succeed at it.
IIRC most of the Medals of Honor received by USAF members have been awarded to Para-rescue, many posthumously. So it's not something that can be done half-assed. Training for it may not be as bad as that of the SEALs, but you can bet that it will be...rugged.
Deployment schedule? Much will depend on where your stationed and what they are committed to. That said, it's a small career field that is in constant demand, expect to be deployed a lot.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 172 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Ok I want to put my two cents in here. I am prior Air Force Security Forces, and got to see some of these guys train. Also I had a friend from basic who went to pararescue. This guy was crazy fit and tough! He washed out in two weeks!! The training for pararescue is somthing like 2 or 2 and a half years!

They will train you to save lives and take them. They will make you the best you can be or break you. The wash out rate is 98%. I think that pararescue men are the most effecient and most highly trained men in the military, but they get little to no recognetion. I am not taking anything away from a navy seal or a green beret or force recon. But a pararescue man is a different animal.

A PJ will jump into combat via plane/helicptor, swim or run through hostile fire to save another persons life. All the time he is killing everything in his way to save that life. When he gets to the injured he then becomes a medic! After performing his medic duties, he either calls a med-evac or carries the injured to a safe location to await a evac!

I once got to tango with a PJ during trianing, and got my but kicked, like he was snapping his fingers! It was a fun time, but a reminder that those guys are on a different level than a regular joe humping a 240 Bravo LOL!

The choice is yours. It is your life. I recommend you pray on it and seek GOD'S guidance. Also talk to your family, seek out those who have done the job, ask them advise. The military alone is a big life changing choice. And to be special force's is even bigger.

Please do not get wrapped up in movies or video games like call of duty. These things may desensitize you to what you may really have to do. In real life there is no "re spawn". Also if you ever have to take another life, it will change your life.

This post was not to scare you but to try and shine some light. I wish you the best of luck in your life, and hope you find the path meant for you.

My little brother is right now deciding on going in, my other little brother is a marine in afganistan. I recently got out from fracturing my back while on duty, which ended my career. My whole family has for the most part been in the service. So if you have any questions feel free to message me anytime.

Again good luck

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Last edited by colmustard; 07-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.
People Like This